New medical certificate for Thai driver's license?

My understanding is that effective March 1 a new medical certificate form is being required for the application for a Thai DL.

Does anyone know if this new form has been widely distributed to doctors clinics and hospitals? Or if there might be a grace period for the submission of the new form at the DLT offices?

Thanks for any replies.

DH

My wife got a "new " certificate from a clinic in Jomtien on Monday the 5th and used it to get license today. The same procedure but now they ask a couple of medical history questions and include that information on the certificate.

The form is pretty basic and probably just a word doc that all the clinics get from internet. Its not an official DLT document so the clinics could probably type up their own so long as the information and answers to questions are the same.

image.png.155ee5d8ec5fc340f5bf217190cf5030.png

Edited by Peterw42

Seems to be where you are situated. I obtained my new Licenses just before the 1st march. (Did it early to save any fuss) When I asked about the new certificate. That was after I had got my two licences,  they didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Better to go into your local DLT office and ask what they want paper work wise, and where to get same if required.

12 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Seems to be where you are situated. I obtained my new Licenses just before the 1st march. (Did it early to save any fuss) When I asked about the new certificate. That was after I had got my two licences,  they didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

Better to go into your local DLT office and ask what they want paper work wise, and where to get same if required.

Its not a new certificate as such, just that the certificate must now contain the answers to 3-4 medical history questions, Do you have a congenital disease etc. I watched a couple of westerners get the certificates, the clinic had the questions in English, Russian etc, the girl ticked the box as they answered. Other than that it was no different than before, the receptionist did it, 100 baht etc

Edited by Peterw42

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

ts not a new certificate as such, just that the certificate must now contain the answers to 3-4 medical history questions

It's indeed a form developed by the "Thai Medical Council" (TMC) and is from August 2008(!).

I used a quick Google translate of the TMC site and it really sounds that the added part is just a "self certification". The rest is the usual "five diseases".

A link to a PDF version from TMC:

http://tmc.or.th/file_download/doctor161209.pdf

Of course in Thai and B/W only.

DLT site links to this TMC site.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's indeed a form developed by the "Thai Medical Council" (TMC) and is from August 2008(!).

I used a quick Google translate of the TMC site and it really sounds that the added part is just a "self certification". The rest is the usual "five diseases".

First Thai DL application a med cert was required I remember, the reason the extra med cert thing now at renewal is because of Epilepsy driver accident I guess.  

Edited by Kwasaki

Soi Buakhao Clinic (roughly opposite LK Metro) have the new style medical certificate for 100 Bhat.

They checked my height, weight, blood pressure and asked three qestions about health status and thats it!

The new certificate was accepted yesturday for my driving licence at the land/transport office.

I had first gone to a clinic on third road but they were clueless about the new form!

Hope this helps.

Edited by Lincsman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DLT in Prachinburi now require the new med cert - got mine at the clinic next door to the office, 80 baht. They measured my blood pressure and pulse and that was it; pleasant and painless, except for the surgical extraction of 80 baht from my wallet of course.  I had gone to DLT with a no-questions-asked 50 baht form from the local clinic, which was good enough 2 years ago, but that was not accepted this time.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

First Thai DL application a med cert was required I remember, the reason the extra med cert thing now at renewal is because of Epilepsy driver accident I guess.  

%age of the 25000 annual road deaths which will be prevented by this new form? Please insert your figure here.  .000000000000000-?%

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

the reason the extra med cert thing now at renewal is because of Epilepsy driver accident I guess.

On Tuesday I want to extend (5 yr to 5 yr).

I was at the office beforehand and she meant "no doctor".

But that's in the sticks where things take a bit longer.

I will report.

Did you read that now a medical is required for 5yr to 5yr?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Thank you so much!

7 hours ago, nchuckle said:

%age of the 25000 annual road deaths which will be prevented by this new form? Please insert your figure here.  .000000000000000-?%

Epilepsy driver killing people is what I remember from why they want more checks that's all, no figure for that they should not drive full stop.

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I will report.

No as I said I read they would do something about drivers with medical conditions, the Guy that killed people having a Epilepsy stoke said he didn't remember what happened, yeah OK great excuse.

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I will report.

I have read it but am unsure whether it is fact or fantasy.

I still have a couple of months to see how it pans out in relation to Chonburi/Pattaya DVLC.

These things usually have a state of flux for a while and regional variation.

I have read it but am unsure whether it is fact or fantasy.
I still have a couple of months to see how it pans out in relation to Chonburi/Pattaya DVLC.
These things usually have a state of flux for a while and regional variation.

Good to know that is still the case.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was in Pattaya Land Transport office to renew my drivers licence's (car and bike) this morning.

I took a new style medical certificate (and a copy of it) obtained in a regular local clinic in Jomtien here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@12.9007443,100.8700601,3a,75y,67.15h,98.26t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1szkeklOwfPG0k2SyN2wjHmw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DzkeklOwfPG0k2SyN2wjHmw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D66.62414%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

The cost of the new style medical was still only 100 baht but they did take my blood pressure and require me to declare I did not suffer from a list of medical conditions, unlike in the past were no blood pressure reading was taken.

I did see one person turned away for having an incorrect medical certificate (maybe the old type, not really sure) so they appeared to insist on the new type.

hope that helps

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Why not just buy a new 5year , saves all the messing about, most BKK Thais n big city folk do ..?.When in Rome.!!.About 5k at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I presume these could be classified as 'fake'.......

They will pass the perfunctory examination by a policeman or farang wannabe but I would worry that when the system becomes computerised, and it will, the number would soon flag as a fake.

Then there would be issues.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 3:07 AM, jay1980 said:

I was in Pattaya Land Transport office to renew my drivers licence's (car and bike) this morning.

I took a new style medical certificate (and a copy of it) obtained in a regular local clinic in Jomtien here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@12.9007443,100.8700601,3a,75y,67.15h,98.26t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1szkeklOwfPG0k2SyN2wjHmw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DzkeklOwfPG0k2SyN2wjHmw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D66.62414%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

The cost of the new style medical was still only 100 baht but they did take my blood pressure and require me to declare I did not suffer from a list of medical conditions, unlike in the past were no blood pressure reading was taken.

I did see one person turned away for having an incorrect medical certificate (maybe the old type, not really sure) so they appeared to insist on the new type.

hope that helps

I went there today. Thank you for posting that. (They charged me B150.)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

Do the renew still require the syphilis test and recipe from lab result ??

I will renew (5 Year) soon in Bangkok

Depends on the requirements of the DLT you go to. 

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...