Trump meets "Doom" maker and other video game execs

webfact

Trump meets "Doom" maker and other video game execs

By Roberta Rampton

2018-03-08T110947Z_1_LYNXNPEE270YR_RTROPTP_3_USA-GUNS-FLORIDA.JPG

Students from South Plantation High School carrying placards and shouting slogans walk on the street during a protest in support of the gun control, following a mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, in Plantation, Florida, February 21, 2018. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins/Files

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump met on Thursday with the makers of popular video games "Grand Theft Auto" and "Doom" to discuss what the president believes is a link between video games and violent acts like last month's school shooting in Florida.

It was the latest in a series of meetings Trump has held to talk about how to stop mass shootings at schools. Trump has said he would consider a wide range of policy options, but has not yet clarified his positions on how best to address gun violence.

The meeting included lawmakers, critics of video games, and executives from Take-Two Interactive Software Inc <TTWO.O>, which owns "Grand Theft Auto," and ZeniMax Media Inc, owner of "Doom." Trump's younger brother Robert Trump is on the board of ZeniMax.

Trump, a Republican, has talked about the need to examine how violence in media affects children, after a 19-year-old gunman was accused of killing 17 people at a high school in Parkland, Florida and injuring more than a dozen others.

The president's free-wheeling deliberations on gun violence during the past month have mainly taken place in full view of reporters. Thursday's session was closed to media shortly before it began when an unrelated event was added to Trump's schedule.

The conversation lasted for almost an hour and was "vigorous" but "respectful," and Trump seemed to be interested in hearing from all sides, said Melissa Henson of the Parents Television Council, a group that advocates against violence and sex in entertainment.

Henson, who has a 9-year-old son, said she thinks more detailed video game ratings should be available to parents.

"You're combating a multimillion-dollar industry. Their best marketers are same-age peers," she said in an interview.

Trump has made the issue personal, taking the unusual step last week of mentioning his concern for his 11-year-old son, Barron. "I look at some of the things he's watching, and I say, how is that possible?" he said.

The video game industry has said there is no evidence of a connection between its product and violent conduct. The Entertainment Software Association, a lobby group that includes Electronic Arts Inc <EA.O>, Activision Blizzard Inc <ATVI.O>, Nintendo Co Ltd <7974.T>, Sony Corp <6758.T> and Tencent Holdings Ltd <0700.HK>, was part of the White House meeting.

The video game makers and their lobbyist who were in the meeting did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

ZeniMax and Take-Two were also part of a White House discussion on the same issue five years ago after a shooting at a Newtown, Connecticut elementary school left 26 dead.

Afterward, then-President Barack Obama, a Democrat, pressed for Congress to give the Centers for Disease Control $10 million to research the causes of gun violence, including the role played by video games.

Trump is considering support for a range of legislative options, including toughening up background checks for gun buyers.

His administration is also working to block the use of bump stocks accessories that enable semiautomatic rifles to fire hundreds of rounds a minute.

(Reporting by Roberta Rampton; Writing by Roberta Rampton and James Oliphant; Editing by Lisa Shumaker and Rosalba O'Brien)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-09
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

U.S. President Donald Trump met on Thursday with the makers of popular video games "Grand Theft Auto" and "Doom" to discuss what the president believes is a link between video games and violent acts like last month's school shooting in Florida.

So its not the lax gun control but video games to blame? The grandfather who carries the guinea pig on his head through the White House, is basically just a kind of a better walking aid. 

• Sad 1

Violent video games are just one of a slew of influences - which play a part in how millions of young Americans grow up with violent hyper-prejudiced ideas.   Some other influences:

>>>  The gun-loving paranoid culture 

>>>  violence shown in movies and TV

>>>  idolizing bad members of society, like mafia, criminals, bank robbers, and crazed gun shooters.  One example:  Some hard-right deplorables are now styling their hair to copy the FL HS killer.  

The #1 worst influence in the US now, is Trump himself.  He's not a gunslinger, but his despicable character is an influence on youngsters because he's so prominent and constantly in the news.

Imagine being a parent, right now, to an 8 year old boy.  

Dad: "Tom, there you go, that's another lie.  It's not good to lie.  You should tell the truth."

Tom:  "The president does it.  So what's the big deal?"

Dad: "Tom, you play with your AK-47 plastic gun all day. How about you go and shoot some basketball hoops - do something outdoors, get some fresh air."

Tom:  "The president says guns are great, and everyone should have one to shoot people with."

Tom:  "dad, what's 'grab them by the pussy' mean?"

Dad:  "son, there are some things I'll explain to you when you get older."

Tom:  "My friend Sammy says it's ok to grab girls by their privates."

Dad:  "Tom, it's not ok.  You should never grab a girl by her privates."

Tom:  "Sammy says the president says it's fun to do that."

if you ban violent games, guess the next step is to remove all the action and gore from movies too? but in the end a gun is still easy to get.... Trump is finding scapegoats instead of the root cause of the problems

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

President Barack Obama, a Democrat, pressed for Congress to give the Centers for Disease Control $10 million to research the causes of gun violence, including the role played by video games

Obama's requests to Congress to earmark $10 million for gun violence research in CDC budgets have been rejected for the last three years. 

The CDC was accused by the National Rifle Association and other critics of promoting an anti-gun agenda, rather than conducting neutral research.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/gun-research-cdc-congress-1.3394110

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Obama's requests to Congress to earmark $10 million for gun violence research in CDC budgets have been rejected for the last three years. 

The CDC was accused by the National Rifle Association and other critics of promoting an anti-gun agenda, rather than conducting neutral research.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/gun-research-cdc-congress-1.3394110

Of course the nra said that. I honestly could give two rats cracks anymore if they keep blowing themselves away. They think they know better than anyone else. Good luck.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Trump has made the issue personal, taking the unusual step last week of mentioning his concern for his 11-year-old son, Barron. "I look at some of the things he's watching, and I say, how is that possible?" he said.

I am sure the Father of the 13 year old girl that Trump raped in the presence of an adult woman witness says the same thing. A girl that was only 2 years older than Trump's precious son. How is that possible?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump met on Thursday with the makers of popular video games "Grand Theft Auto" and "Doom" to discuss what the president believes is a link between video games and violent acts like last month's school shooting in Florida.

I wonder when they will have as serious a discussion on the link between Guns and violent acts? After all I am just a 'law abiding video gamer', I don't go out and shoot people, why should I be penalised because of a few nutcase's (sound familiar?). Maybe harder background checks are required to purchase a video game. Isn't it kind of ironic that they would consider raising the age at which you can buy a violent video game but not raising the age at which you can buy semi-automatic weapons. It could take an eternity to MAGA.

Edited by Andaman Al

I don't know about the vid games but it might not be a half bad idea to look into the drugs that schools champion for kids beginning in kindergarten & continue throughout middle school.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dap said:

I don't know about the vid games but it might not be a half bad idea to look

into the drugs that schools champion for kids beginning in kindergarten &

continue throughout middle school.

You mean all those drugs they give to kids in ...America, that they don't prescribe to kids in other schools in other countries in the world? And in those other countries in the world kids don't grab easy to get weapons and wipe out their classmates every week. You may just be onto something there Sherlock, nice one!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

You mean all those drugs they give to kids in ...America, that they don't prescribe to kids in other schools in other countries in the world? And in those other countries in the world kids don't grab easy to get weapons and wipe out their classmates every week. You may just be onto something there Sherlock, nice one!

Yeah AA, exactly those drugs. The ones to settle down hyper actives and then the ones to wake em, up. I can't help but think by the time some of these kids reach high school they are finding reality a very distant tangible.

• Like 2

The University of York, Frontiers, Ray Surrette and Allison Maze, Springer, etc. have other findings. I'm more inclined to trust the multitude of studies that actually looked at the numbers.

But let's put that aside for a moment and indulge me the opportunity to play the devil's advocate. If violent media begets violence than why not go after the printed word. After all it has sparked off more violence than anything else; otherwise why are JIHAD and CRUSADE so indelibly linked to such pain and suffering? 

After all, religion is simply a fantasy (just like games) that offer a better sounding end game...