White Vertical Line on Screen?

moonseeker

On new US-model Lenovo single white line vertical on screen. Also shows  only on Bios/start-up, which points to hardware problem.. New top-model, warranty juts expired. First bad experience with a Lenovo.

Any ideas, how to proceed?  THX.  MS>

Some Experts could solve that problem. I'd such problem with a LCD and a Guy at a Shop of Zer Rangsit (Nothern Bangkok, after Don Muang Airport), solved that by disassembling them and reassembling the screen. Problem solved!

7 hours ago, moonseeker said:

New top-model, warranty juts expired.

What else :sleep:

Sure, a hardware defect.

When my 10 year old monitor showed a blue line I decided it's time for a new one.

But in your case you have no other chance than finding an expert repair man (as mentioned in previous post).

Thank you kindly. Yeah, hardware/screen failure. Pity. Incredibly a complete chaos as far as support by this company here in TH. Service-points as published don't exist, phone numbers dead. Call-back no way. When I finally got somebody on the phone it took him 15 min. to give me 2 "dead" numbers" I had tried already. Might as well forget it. 4K screen hard=impossible to get, so will try a couple of places and pray for an easy fix... The main-one on Klang would not touch it, say impossible to deal with them to get parts or get fixed and could take months and end be very expensive. But offered to install if I can import the replacement. Pity, this is my first major problem with this brand and have had many, many.

Maybe Pattaya2You might have a trick up their sleeves. They helped me in many difficult cases. THX. again.  MS>

1 hour ago, robblok said:

But if it just happens during startup.. what is the worry ? Do you worry it will get worse ?

You read carefully :whistling:

Really ONLY during startup before operating system is loaded?

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I might read it wrong.. but the way i read it it happens only during boot and in bios. If this is not the case then sure it would be more urgent to repair it. I seen errors like this before during boot but not during the rest of the time.

It just could be in plain black&white mode, like the BIOS info but on color! In reality, that "sensor film" didn't connect properly to screen matrix at the one-pixel point, which results in one color only, here white. It has also been possible in a different color.

On 3/9/2018 at 7:54 AM, moonseeker said:

On new US-model Lenovo single white line vertical on screen. Also shows  only on Bios/start-up, which points to hardware problem.. New top-model, warranty juts expired. First bad experience with a Lenovo.

Any ideas, how to proceed?  THX.  MS>

Can you clarify this -- does the white line issue show up ALL THE TIME, even in the BIOS/UEFI setup screen (leading you to believe it's a hardware issue)?

Sometimes, "sometimes", it could be a loose display data cable connection and reseating or replacement of the cable is all that's needed. But usually it's an integrated electronics failure, so a tech would need to verify if it's a motherboard or display issue so one or the other can be recommended for replacement.

try to connect to external screen....or to tv ...if still there could be grafique card....if no vertical line on external screen to appear grafique card ok and could be only laptop screen.....

• Like 2

It's clearly the Monitor/LCD/LED Screen. That error is mainly on Laptop and Tablet Screens means Screen which are bend/moved/open/closes many times. 

I had a long discussion some time ago with an engineer at the Zer Rangsit Computer Mall, he mainly repairs LCD/LED Screens. According to his say, the repair of Desktop Screens is quite easy while for Laptop Screen it's much more difficult while to Tablets near impossible. Regarding those vertical lines, he told that there's a loss of contact between the (what he called) Sensor film and the Screen Matrix. 

A normal Desktop Screen could be taken easily apart for to repair, while that is very difficult for a Laptop Screen because those are much skinnier. For a Tablet, just impossible. 

• Like 1

did you buy a new charger lately ?

Check the amps on the old charger and match it when you get a new one. I bought a charger with less than needed amperage, I started getting lines and more lines, then I had to hook my laptop up to a monitor.

I had that problem and I had to get a new screen.

Total cost of the problem was new screen, monitor, the proper battery charger, HDMI cable and 10 hours of my time and 1 week without laptop was 10,800 THB.

Also get your fans cleaned every 2 years for 800 THB at Panthip. I went to Panthip in Chiang Mai.

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Also shows  only on Bios/start-up, which points to hardware problem.

"Also" to me means all the time - even during start-up before any program loaded - making it hardware rather than a software issue.

1 single white line on Y700 / 4 K screen. Lenovo TH response or advise virtually non-existent. Advise from local dealer/technician: You order new 4 K screen Taiwan and we fix for you. This is my first negative experience with a Lenovo, but knowing the service here in TH is so (not) good, I will be much more careful what to buy now.

Will give it a try with a local repair-shop or just sell it for peanuts. Really not too happy right now. THX. all.  MS>

IMHO all that suggestions about the problem are Software/Driver related is simply impossible, its hardware and here to 99.99% its the screen itself. Just connect an external Monitor to the computer/laptop and see the outcome. Just as the OP told its only to see at boot time, he'll have to connect and set the external screen as 1 one, need to use the FN and corresponding F Key for that.

That said, it's maybe possible that the BIOS app has an error and with an external screen that is easy to check. If that vertical Line wasn't on the new Laptop directly, just was appearing, later on, OP may remember at what point of use the Line the first time was seen. Maybe it was just after a BIOS Update? 

If that line didn't show on the external screen at boot time, the culprit lies clearly by the LCD/LED Screen. It also could be a problem of a missing contact within the wiring from the MB to the screen, or from one of at least 2 different connectors within that wiring. Just, most of the time, such problems are triggered by a tiny loss of connection inside the connection form the T-Con board to the Screen Matrix. Sometimes easy to solve and sometimes impossible to solve.