Thai Customs Department steps in to calm public outcry over pre-departure declaration rule

webfact

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Just think of it, how likely it is for every one of those 250 people to have something that is likely to cause duty issues when returning to the country?  Get real.

Get real!

I think it is nowadays common to have an expensive iphone and a laptop, quite a few with a wedding ring or other jewelry.

18 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Get real!

I think it is nowadays common to have an expensive iphone and a laptop, quite a few with a wedding ring or other jewelry.

It's not me that needs to get real.  This is not about wedding rings or used iPhones, it's about obviously new items that could reasonably be suspected of being bought overseas by returning visitors!

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

It's not me that needs to get real.  This is not about wedding rings or used iPhones, it's about obviously new items that could reasonably be suspected of being bought overseas by returning visitors!

QUOTE: that could reasonably be suspected of being bought overseas

It all boils down to TRUST.

Do we trust the customs department to apply these regulations fair, without abuse  and with common sense? Is there possibility to appeal to their decision?

If not, it will be just another money maker / ego booster.

• Haha 1

On 09/03/2018 at 3:12 AM, z42 said:

So if i buy something expensive in my own country such as a phone or a computer then why the f#×* is it the Thai customs' business if i bring it back with me the next time I come.

More numbskullery being spouted by those at the top

i think customs is concerned about thai people who buy goods outside the country and bring them back into thailand.

23 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: that could reasonably be suspected of being bought overseas

It all boils down to TRUST.

Do we trust the customs department to apply these regulations fair, without abuse  and with common sense? Is there possibility to appeal to their decision?

If not, it will be just another money maker / ego booster.

Yes, we do.  If you don't, how many times have Thai Customs officers stopped you in the green channel and charged duty for items that are not subject to duty?

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, we do.  If you don't, how many times have Thai Customs officers stopped you in the green channel and charged duty for items that are not subject to duty?

The public outcry - by Thais (and they are not the most critical people in the word) - shows otherwise.

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

The public outcry - by Thais (and they are not the most critical people in the word) - shows otherwise.

No it doesn't.  The 'outcry' referred to in the OP was because some people misread the announcement to mean that Customs' suggestion was a requirement, it wasn't, so the outcry was misplaced.

15 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No it doesn't.  The 'outcry' referred to in the OP was because some people misread the announcement to mean that Customs' suggestion was a requirement, it wasn't, so the outcry was misplaced.

You must have read a different OP than me.

Or the man in charge of customs does not know how to express himself?

Or maybe it is your rosy glasses?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You must have read a different OP than me.

Or the man in charge of customs does not know how to express himself?

Or maybe it is your rosy glasses?

Your "glasses" comment is perfect irony. 

As there is only one OP, and here it is, you must have read a different one, so why comment so emphatically on this one that you didn't read?...

"BANGKOK, 9th March 2018 - The Customs Department has stepped in to calm public frustration and outcry over its latest notifications, including an apparent requirement for travelers to declare their personal effects before departing the country. 

Deputy Director-General of the Customs Department, Chaiyuth Khankun said on Thursday that the notification at the center of public attention, requiring travelers to declare such personal effects as watches, video cameras and computer notebooks before leaving the country, is not intended to be compulsory but has been initiated to facilitate the intentions of some travelers, who plan to take some items out of the country only to bring them back later.

According to the much-criticized notification, which has been in effect since February 26, travelers who wish to make such a declaration, can report to an on-duty customs official to have all such items recorded and use the issued copy of record to prove they are not newly-acquired items that are subject to import duties when they re-enter Thailand with the traveler. 

Mr. Chaiyuth said that the declaration process will take no more than 10 minutes to complete.

Nevertheless, he conceded that this notification includes some information, which appears confusing to the public, and the Customs Department has already started working with related agencies to make adjustments to it in order to help the public gain a better understanding, tentatively within a week".

On ‎9‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, z42 said:

So if i buy something expensive in my own country such as a phone or a computer then why the f#×* is it the Thai customs' business if i bring it back with me the next time I come.

More numbskullery being spouted by those at the top

Deadright what U bring as personal effects should remain that way, its another form of privacy invasion and control and the reason amongst others after thirty years plus I gave Thailand a miss.

• Like 1