Facebook uproar over woman sitting in Ayutthaya Buddha’s lap

webfact

I don't really understand Buddhism, but I have always thought that someone with his build must be pretty chilled out. It seems to be that all those who follow the new religion of Facebookism seem to need something to be outraged about every week, posts, reposts, tweets, retweets, selfies, witch-hunting, bullying. Does anybody have a copy of the Facebook 10 commandments? As proven, if you weigh the same as a duck, then you are a witch, which sets a lot of Asians at a disadvantage when placed on the scales, but would there have been so much rage if the photo showed a duck sitting on the statue? I think I have number 1 : Though shalt be outraged at least once a week at a tourist. I would advise all foreign nationals whose weight is approximately the same as a duck to avoid congregations of Thais with cameras, unless of course you enjoy being the centre of a witch hunt. If there is a church for Facebookism, it is definitely somewhere in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

By implication, you seem to be suggesting that all religions are also fake - a widely held conviction which has yet to be proved or disproved. One could argue that being an atheist or agnostic is,therefore, just as much a matter of faith as being a Christian, Buddhist or follower of Islam.

Yes! All of them. Utter nonsense.

I'm an atheist and proud of it.

Religion; don't waste my time (Chris Hitchens).

• Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 1:08 PM, Just1Voice said:

Sheesh!  Stop being so damn sensitive, Thai people.  And while you're at it, try actually learning what Buddha taught, instead of this Thai crap you call "Buddhism".  

For starters, Buddha SPECIFICALLY told his followers NOT to pray to him when he died, as he was NOT a god, but ONLY A MAN, and prayers to him would be wasted.  

There is no such thing as true Buddhism in Thailand, only a lot of mumbo, jumbo superstition dressed in orange robes that's a fake as a $3 bill. 

Pray tell me where true Buddhism exists on this planet.

On 09/03/2018 at 4:33 PM, overherebc said:

Don't tell anyone this, he was Indian as well.

I'll get slated now for being racist but, people have no idea how little I care.

I do believe Buddha was born in Nepal  “The official stand of the Government of India is that the Buddha was born in Nepal, but a few people not having sufficient knowledge proclaim that his birthplace is in India.” Most scholars agree that Buddha was born in 623 B.C. in the sacred area of Lumbini located in the plains of southern Nepal.

3 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

I do believe Buddha was born in Nepal  “The official stand of the Government of India is that the Buddha was born in Nepal, but a few people not having sufficient knowledge proclaim that his birthplace is in India.” Most scholars agree that Buddha was born in 623 B.C. in the sacred area of Lumbini located in the plains of southern Nepal.

We have been through all of that a good few posts ago.

??

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Catoni said:

You get Christians buying Jordan River water, dirt from the Holy land.

Roman Catholic 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class relics amulets of the saints.  If you actually have a 1st class relic like a tiny piece of a saint's bone or hair in a locket verified and sealed by the Church... you've got the best. Miracle for sure should happen for you according to Christian believers. Even a 2nd class relic.... like a tiny piece of material that had been worn by a saint...  wow! 

Blessed crosses and crucifixes.. and more..   

Lots of amulets and things in various religions...  It's harmless for the most part.  Except if you believe they are going to protect you from knives and bullets. 

I own some Thai amulets, but I do not believe they have any supernatural powers.  I simply use them as a focal point to remind me of Lord Buddha and his Dhamma. 

I keep an empty malt whisky bottle and an empty gin bottle to remind me of departed spirits.

PS

I don't wear them around my neck.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I keep an empty malt whisky bottle and an empty gin bottle to remind me of departed spirits.

PS

I don't wear them around my neck.

And replace them daily with your newly emptied bottles, I assume? :)

Edited by mgthom63
  • Sad 1

On 3/9/2018 at 2:38 PM, Just1Voice said:

Sheesh!  Stop being so damn sensitive, Thai people.  And while you're at it, try actually learning what Buddha taught, instead of this Thai crap you call "Buddhism".  

For starters, Buddha SPECIFICALLY told his followers NOT to pray to him when he died, as he was NOT a god, but ONLY A MAN, and prayers to him would be wasted.  

There is no such thing as true Buddhism in Thailand, only a lot of mumbo, jumbo superstition dressed in orange robes that's a fake as a $3 bill. 

You obviously do not understand what reverence feels like — Thailand is not Disneyland to most thoughtful, good hearted and respectful visitors .. 

25 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Do you think a dyslexic agnostic person spends time wondering if there really is a dog?

Howl I ever know the truth? Just never know where dogs lead.

edit:

"Sukanya said her office would instruct tour guides to control their foreign clients better when visiting historic sites."

Better keep those "foreign clients" on a lead too, that will keep them under control.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, fakename said:

So, maybe it was a Thai, that was sitting on buddhas lap?

It doesn't really matter who it was. I am not a religious person but if I visit any historical site that has religious statues or whatever I would never think about touching such things, climbing on them or taking selfies with them. 

I worship classic cars and bikes but I certainly would sit on them and have photographs taken leaning all over them.

I don't agree either with the great public outcry on social media which seems to verge on the hysterical.

Better would be a post suggesting clear signage on the please respect/do not touch or you will be asked/told to leave line.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Howl I ever know the truth? Just never know where dogs lead.

edit:

"Sukanya said her office would instruct tour guides to control their foreign clients better when visiting historic sites."

Better keep those "foreign clients" on a lead too, that will keep them under control.

Perhaps there are many out there who would have gained benefit from a slap on the back of the head and told don't do that when they were kids. Foreign and domestic.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Perhaps there are many out there who would have gained benefit from a slap on the back of the head and told don't do that when they were kids. Foreign and domestic.

Should not slap kids on the head. Can make one go ding-dong. Too much of that in Thailand already.  Maybe explaines the mentality of the country and many of its people.

15 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Should not slap kids on the head. Can make one go ding-dong. Too much of that in Thailand already.  Maybe explaines the mentality of the country and many of its people.

I'd be more inclined to hope it would knock some common sense into them.

It never did me any harm, once I'd completed the electric shock therapy.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Haha 1

For the commenters who are actually supporting the actions of this stupid person, I have a feeling that, even you have no sense of respect. I have been in many churches, and I do not see this disrespect, or lack of common sense. 

Maybe common sense is not as common as it once was.

Geezer

• Thanks 1

In my humble opinion, it would seem that Just1Voice, and many others have their own strong

opinions, on this subject matter. It also seems that there is an abundance of experts on the 

ins and outs of Buddhism, which is more of a life,style for many, and not just a,religion, like Catholic.

It is so refreshing to see all the expertise , that I do not need to go to Google, to read their information

on Buddhism. That is a bit of my sarcasm, shining through.

Geezer