Facebook uproar over woman sitting in Ayutthaya Buddha’s lap

webfact

58 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

A bit confused about this myself. As a Christian, I might consider it comforting to be in/on the lap of my creator...my God. I certainly would not see it as being disrespectful, on the contrary, it would be an expression of my love for my "Father".

If someone was sitting on a stack of bibles 'cause there was no seat I would bet on you not being at all offended. Christians seem to me to have moved on. Buddhists and Muslims not so.

When I see words such as 'outrage', 'fury' or 'uproar' etc. used to describe an event, especially one about Buddha, I usually think of half a dozen people pretending to be offended. Sometimes these people have an axe to grind and/or are following some big-mouth who is egging them on. Often money involved and Lao Khao fuelled.

Facebook and the other media are slightly different as one can like a reason for the 'fury', 'rage' or 'uproar' and should not be taken seriously.

If I want a true/balanced view of an event in Thailand there is no better way of getting to the bottom of things than a read-up on TVForum.

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

The original teachings of Buddha are not allowed to be taught in Thailand and if you read them, very soon you will get to know why. 

I'd be interested if you would like to explain briefly why that is?

I'm guessing when you say they're not allowed to be taught, it's more that it wouldn't be accepted here, rather than being prohibited?

• Like 1

Very interesting, and educating comments!  ...  However, had the person been American or Brit on the picture, forget about it, get a rope, ban for life, bad farang! etc etc.   Chinese?  Oh, mai pen lai, quality tourist!!  Welcome to the New Thailand.

15 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Mark Zuckerberg didn't really know what he created for Thailand. Now all and everything can be seen on Facebook. A drug smoking rockstar, ( what an idiot), countless accidents where many people must have died on motorbikes and in cars, people get killed when they see that their Tirac's chatting with other men, (happened in Khon Kaen), people show when a foreigner get's beaten up, because that's fun for Thais, Foreigners with golden hearts and too many Tattoos who show others how to pray, are shown nationwide and make others feel useless, two gay men who show their asses at a temple, ( who wants to see that?), a lot of people who pull guns when the traffic gets too weird, countless arrests of foreigners on private Facebook pages, foreigners who fell off their condors, all on someone's Facebook page, and many other stuff that shouldn't be available for all. 

I'm happy that I grew up at a time where Mark Zuckerberg wasn't born, or a child. 

If it wasn't for The Facebook I'm thinking no one would get arrested in Thailand. It seems that all the police are assigned to study every aspect of it all day in search of bad guys. But I agree with you and I have no use for it myself.

16 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

That's easy to explain to you,  Siddhartha Gautama was a Hindu prince born in Lumbini, Nepal, only Sikhs wear turbans. 

And Shia Muslims of course, and something similar is common in Indonesian Java.

19 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Sheesh!  Stop being so damn sensitive, Thai people.  And while you're at it, try actually learning what Buddha taught, instead of this Thai crap you call "Buddhism".  

For starters, Buddha SPECIFICALLY told his followers NOT to pray to him when he died, as he was NOT a god, but ONLY A MAN, and prayers to him would be wasted.  

There is no such thing as true Buddhism in Thailand, only a lot of mumbo, jumbo superstition dressed in orange robes that's a fake as a $3 bill. 

If the same thing was done in a chuch or mosque I'm sure it would have a similar response.

Mumbo jumbo or not. Respect in visiting these places is what is required whether it be in Thailand or anywhere else in the world something a lot of people lack.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Sheesh!  Stop being so damn sensitive, Thai people.  And while you're at it, try actually learning what Buddha taught, instead of this Thai crap you call "Buddhism".  

For starters, Buddha SPECIFICALLY told his followers NOT to pray to him when he died, as he was NOT a god, but ONLY A MAN, and prayers to him would be wasted.  

There is no such thing as true Buddhism in Thailand, only a lot of mumbo, jumbo superstition dressed in orange robes that's a fake as a $3 bill. 

They might be Fake (Yes) But they will Take all Real Money ,,,,Not a 3 dollar Bill   :thumbsup:

There would have been a similar reaction for sure if someone had been photographed draped around a statue of the Virgin Mary in a Catholic country. When in Rome - or Ayyutaya - do as the natives do and show some respect for their culture.

• Confused 1

So you think Yellowstone park should let tourists carve their initials into the rocks and damage the trees?  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

There would have been a similar reaction for sure if someone had been photographed draped around a statue of the Virgin Mary in a Catholic country. When in Rome - or Ayyutaya - do as the natives do and show some respect for their culture.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's all about simple respect.

As for so-called Thai Buddhism, it's about as representative of Buddhist philosophy as Al Qaeda is of Islam. The monks are a class of parasites on the Thai society. They do nothing, contribute nothing. Their so-called monkhood is nothing but an excuse to avoid responsibility for their lives. Makes me sick.

• Thanks 1

Secondly, Buddha taught "detachment" and I've never seen anywhere in the world people who are more materialistic, more attached to money than the Thais. Thailand is in fact an  anti-Buddhist country!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Thank you very much, I'm really so close to a shutdown of my FB, only informing some friends and the page is past. It's really getting too much of so many different annoying things

It was nice to find old friends a busy but pofter not seeing each other for 20, or 30 years. Facebook helped me to find some old friends who were GI's in Germany in 1976, but any other than finding friends is a joke. These days they create videos with friends I've made a year ago, even when it's about my own sister. And not thinking that our data is being used by FBI, CIA, BKA, LKA, Disneyland, and  others would be very naive.

After some years, many people have got a few thousand friends?? and even when I kept mine under 100, it's still a pain in the ass. I don't want a reminder to set up my mood, the food I've just eaten, post my hobbies, where I went to school, well all the usual and normal things, Facebook people do. 

Trying to tell students that Facebook is a waste of time doesn't work, because their Thai teachers are as addicted to it as they are. What a freaking joke it became, from an information website for students to a website where pedophiles, drug dealers, idiots, citizens of LOS, perverts, coksuckers , and other individuals can easily find what they are looking for. 

Some ( many) pedophiles are lurking on their prey, download photos of teenagers and use them for all sorts of things, and in my opinion Facebook should come with a warning that it's dangerous ( or can be) to your health. I don't have a problem that the Thai Immigration might have more information about me than I've got about myself, but it's really time to end it. 

Nope, there must be something else in life than Facebook. The time I'll win could be used to play some sports, do some trekking, study for a Master's, play chess, or just post on TV. Lol

Dead with FB.jpg

FB box and death.jpg

Heroin and FB.jpg

You know that you don't need to post anything on Facebook that bothers you.

I rarely use it an my main awareness of Facebook comes from these "outrage" stories

posted here. It is ironic in some ways that folk like you get angry about a social media site

on a social media platform.

If you believe all these agencies are spying on your Facebook account, why don't you assume

that they are spying on you here?

Also your threat to finish with Facebook and flounce off to another

platform to communicate with your GI buddies will have no impact 

whatsoever. But if it makes you feel better, then go for it.

Edited by shy coconut
Additions

I could care less about anyone's religious beliefs but ancient ruins, archeological sites and historical structures and such should not be used for climbing and taking stupid photos. The phrase we used as kids comes to mind "look with your eyes not with your hands". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csabo said:

I could care less about anyone's religious beliefs but ancient ruins, archeological sites and historical structures and such should not be used for climbing and taking stupid photos. The phrase we used as kids comes to mind "look with your eyes not with your hands".

I'm not sure if this block of concrete has any "ancient ruins, archeological sites and historical structures" value.

If this site has some sort of buddhist connotations the taking of pics should be welcomed.