Food security report points to increasing malnourishment and obesity in Thailand

snoop1130

Howbri,

Your long walk probably has as much to do with your good health than what you eat.

Food is calories, which are energy that you burn during your walk.

Where the calories come from doesn't matter as much as how many enter your body, and how many are burned.

Meat packs much more calories per ration than vegetarian food, thus it is more convenient to fulfill your daily needs eating chicken than salad...yet each one is free to select whatever one prefers to eat...

If you absorb more calories than you burn, no matter where you get these calories from, you start building reserves, meaning getting fat.

Having said that and besides being extremely rich in calories, junk food and drinks are responsible for other health issues such as cancers, diabetes, heart diseases, for example.

Edited by Brunolem
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, billmichael said:

Actually, I have tried it and the most delicious and nutritious rice exclusivly from Thailand is "Riceberry Rice".  It is positivley delicious.  It is purple and has the scent of berries.  It was developed by one of the Thailand universities (I cannot remember which).

Yes its actually black / or purple rice not that sticky one of course Jasmin have it just as healthy as eating blue berries.

myself i only eat brown or black berry  rice and so should the Thais.?

Edited by Destiny1990

3 hours ago, Radar501 said:

Ironically, a fast food/slow digestion diet can result in both malnutrition and obesity in the one person.   You are what you eat.......thank you McDonalds.

I think you may have meant 'thank you careless, indolent consumers'!

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The other aspect of this equation is cooking oil. So many pay no attention to this, and it is critical. 

Right!

Even worse is using and boiling the same oil many times.

From what I heard or read, this increases the risk of cancer (reaching epidemic level in Thailand).

As you say, if your car cannot tolerate the same oil forverer, neither can your body.

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The tentacles of American junk food have spread to every province, why kids love this rubbish I will never know. And that drink that comes in the red and silver can that is very good for cleaning rusty nails is not helping the obesity problem either!

I think that Thai junk food existed well before McDonald's arrived. There is, for example, the dish you named yourself after, which I stopped eating years ago when the missus pointed out that one small bag contained more than 600 calories, plus deep-fried chicken, iced-coffee, and salt with everything, to name but a few.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

The tentacles of American junk food have spread to every province, why kids love this rubbish I will never know. And that drink that comes in the red and silver can that is very good for cleaning rusty nails is not helping the obesity problem either!

And excellent fot taking the enamel off teeth is another great benefit you missed. ??

8 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

myself i only eat brown or black berry  rice and so should the Thais.?

What's the price of this berry rice?

Probably not 10 baht per kilo...

Most Thais eat the rice they, or their family, grows.

This rice is white, flavoured with both pesticides and herbicides, and keeps the funeral business humming...

45 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Right!

Even worse is using and boiling the same oil many times.

From what I heard or read, this increases the risk of cancer (reaching epidemic level in Thailand).

As you say, if your car cannot tolerate the same oil forverer, neither can your body.

If people live to 95 and are on a pension for 30 years it's costs everyone more.

Let people kill themselves with food. Natural culling.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

“The lavish consumption also generates large quantities of food wastes. Statistics show that 449 million tonnes of food were wasted in Asia alone last year, and this food waste could feed millions of people who do not have enough food.”

I'd bet there are very few starving rats in Asia.

How right you are.....................:whistling:

4 hours ago, Xonax said:

Import duties on imported healthy oils are still sky high, so only palm oil is affordable for cooking in Thailand.

you can buy coconut oil the best cooking oil there is in Thailand only a few Bath above other oils the problem I have found is to be in the supermarket when it on the shelf it lasts up to 2 years so when I see it I buy a bottle

Just now, johnarth said:

you can buy coconut oil the best cooking oil there is in Thailand only a few Bath above other oils the problem I have found is to be in the supermarket when it on the shelf it lasts up to 2 years so when I see it I buy a bottle

Coconut oil is the best for stability as it contains very small amounts of unsaturated compounds. It is the worst of the vegetable oils healthwise because it contains mainly saturated fats.

No argument it is the best in terms of taste.

In the 20 some odd yrs I have been coming to Thailand when I first started coming all you would see was hard body young ladies but there was if I remember correctly only 1 McDonalds and 1 KFC in Pattaya and you very seldom saw any Thais in them. Now there are many of them and the Thais are using them and most of the ladies and a few of the guys are overweight. You can also see what the food and hormones are doing to the ladies, almost all of the young ladies are now well developed where as before very few were. .

6 hours ago, Radar501 said:

Ironically, a fast food/slow digestion diet can result in both malnutrition and obesity in the one person.   You are what you eat.......thank you McDonalds.

Add to that Pepsi/Cola & most carbonated drinks.. there lays your problem

the 'western fast food" culture has taken root in Thailand and is now showing on the waistlines of the masses!!

Big C in my area has just been bought-out by a larger chain & undergone a 6 month refurbishment...

newly installed are, KFC, Burger King, McDonalds, Svensens etc etc etc & yes you can guess... they're all packed with diners with a matching budget & waistline !!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Brunolem said:

This rice is white, flavoured with both pesticides and herbicides, and keeps the funeral business humming...

Yes is higher price but its less expensive then real berries ?

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

health problems from being overweight as a result of eating excessive food.

I suggest that the problem is as much the result of consuming inappropriate food (burgers, sweetened drinks, crisps and all the derivatives therefrom which are abundant on the store shelves in Thailand etc) as eating excessively.

40 minutes ago, glasswort said:

I suggest that the problem is as much the result of consuming inappropriate food (burgers, sweetened drinks, crisps and all the derivatives therefrom which are abundant on the store shelves in Thailand etc) as eating excessively.

I would suggest, as already done above, that it is also the result of insufficient physical exercice...

Walking has been replaced by motorboking, climbing stairs replaced by elevators, playing football outside with friends replaced by playing video football inside alone, and so on...

Besides, alcohol should also be mentioned, since it is concentrated sugar!

Years ago, girls working in bars were only drinking when customers were paying for lady drinks, which was not much...they didn't have incompetent (farang) bosses who were giving them, every evening, free bottles of some crappy alcohol, in order to "stimulate" them...a practice that only stimulated fat growth while transforming the girls into zombies showing zero interest for the hapless customers!

8 hours ago, Radar501 said:

Mcdonald's is frequented by people exercising choice. To single out one business, is ignoring many other factors outlined in the article. 

Fish is an excellent food and non-fattening.....so to help slim down these obese Thais and improve road safety...how about the Government and the Health ministry give out discounted food vouchers for the "radiation free" Fukushima fillets.....and a dozen or so jars of "Chicken essence"......killing two birds with one stone...so to speak :cheesy:

3 hours ago, glasswort said:

I am surprised the number is as low as this.

I would say that in Bangkok alone, at the very, very least a quarter of the Thais (especially the men) are overweight, with bulging fat bellies. Thais are just getting fatter and fatter - due to excessive amounts of unhealthy food and little exercise. It's plain to see.

Edited by Eligius

I doubt it's white rice that's one of the causes for Thailand's obesity crisis.  The rice diet is still around to this day, and in the early years, back in the 1930's, they were using white rice, fruit and some fruit juice to get patient's weight down and lower the blood pressure of those suffering from malignant hypertension.

As for oils, I don't know of any whole foods, plant based medical doctor who advocates the use of any oils for his patients.  Just another highly processed food with most of the nutrients stripped out.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Coconut oil is the best for stability as it contains very small amounts of unsaturated compounds. It is the worst of the vegetable oils healthwise because it contains mainly saturated fats.

No argument it is the best in terms of taste.

When did a coconut become a vegetable ?

... you might be up to something but you get the whole thing wrong !!!

20 hours ago, Brunolem said:

True that. But they send the rice out to the mills, for processing. The rice does not grow white. They could be eating their own whole grain rice, if only they were educated, and learned the benefits. Does anyone care? Certainly not anyone in a position of power. The little guy amply demonstrates that daily. The gorgeous wholegrain rices here ranges from 40 bt. to about 60 bt per kilo. The crappy white rice is at least 30 bt per kilo, or more. Not alot of difference. Also, the whole grain rice is more filling, as you are eating real food.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

80-90% of what's on the shelves at TESCO is pretty lethal, 

Thanks for the good laugh, especially with the sentence quoted above!

In his time, Malthus warned that the planet would not be able to feed so many humans.

Since then, he has been mocked because human "genius" has proved him wrong: look Malthus, we are feeding 7 billion and expect to feed 9 or 10 billion soon!

Yet, if we look closely, it appears that Malthus was not really wrong.

Today, it is not planet Earth that is feeding humans, but agrobusiness laboratories which are poisoning them!

See the little difference? 

Feeding...poisoning...Malthus and today's sorcerer apprentices were not talking about the same thing...

• Like 1