are some areas in Thailand corruption/scam free ?

zoza

It used to be that I would feel bad about countries where corruption was cited. Like the 88M baht taken from at risk student programs in one of the postings on TV today. Thailand is like the rest of the world having both good and bad folk. Additionally now, however, I cannot even comment on corruption with the "pay to play" corruption so rampant in my own country under the current administration. 

1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

It used to be that I would feel bad about countries where corruption was cited. Like the 88M baht taken from at risk student programs in one of the postings on TV today. Thailand is like the rest of the world having both good and bad folk. Additionally now, however, I cannot even comment on corruption with the "pay to play" corruption so rampant in my own country under the current administration. 

I can not comment on your country;s corruption level, but i bet that no school director would call a public ,meeting to 'urge' folks who were and are eligible for funding to cheat and then tip them 500 bath!!

Here its public, and the daily cases are a bad sign for free elections, while even now pretty hi up people canvas in public to cover fraud!

• Like 1

How are we defining "scam" here?

Does it include overcharging, short-changing on weight, underpaying, having defective merchandise pawned off on you, defaulting on loans, non or poor performance of promised services, being manipulated into purchasing something you wouldn't ordinarily buy, phoney hardship stories, soliciting donations under false pretenses, theft by deception, etc.?

I can cite personal examples for all of the above and I'm as street-wise as most. If you think nothing like this ever happens to you, maybe you should call the Vatican and report a miracle. My suspicion is that guys who make such claims just aren't as aware of what's going on around them as they think they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry everybody who think his own country is corrupt free lifes behind trees.

It's a fact, that when a country is more poor the corruption is easier. Even so called first world countries are corrupt only that there is much more money involved.

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I live in a Thai village upcountry, and no Thai has ever scammed or attempted to scam me to my knowledge, quite the opposite in fact, there are two 7-11s and a mini Tesco, regular markets nearby, and if I have given too much money by mistake or walked away without my change or purchases, the people have always treated  me with honesty.

That has been my experience as well... people generally treat me well and I have never had any problems with family.. I've been here 11 years now.   But there is corruption around.. small 'fines' for driving offences.. "..you give me 200 Bt now or I take your license and you can drive to town to pick it up from the police station and pay 4oo Bt..  What do you want to do?...".. that sort of thing.. Nepotism in government jobs.. paying up front to get a job.. but that is for the locals.. I'm retired.. A lot of ferang think they are singled out for scams.. I don't think so.. maybe an easy mark.. but those who are into scams really don't care who they rip off.. grandmothers & other family members are all fair game..  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ancharee said:

Old ones are the best

Too true mate , I am 71. Oh I parked a few years ago up here facing the wrong way outside the bank , got a ticket , next day a retired BiB that lives opposite gave me my licence back, no fine.  Now that could never happen in England .

On 3/10/2018 at 6:59 AM, Gecko123 said:

Basically I think it depends a lot on past history. If there's a history of foreign guys getting ripped off and hustled by village girls, a predatory mentality can settle in over the whole village. As comforting as having a bunch of foreigners living in your village might initially seem to be, I've come to the conclusion that this can be a red flag, i.e., taking advantage of foreigners has become a cottage industry. For whatever reason, some villages have nicer, friendlier, more wholesome people than other villages. 

Well observed.. And accurate IMO. 

You get some village, where the cottage industry is shipping daughters off to pattaya, a few come back as the mia farang, build the McMansion in the sticks, then lord it up as people who have always been downtrodden by poverty are bound to do, then this infuses the whole village with a mindset. 

Clearly you do have areas where its worse than others.. I am not so sure I would call this corruption, as per the thread title, more greed and dishonesty in relationships. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2018 at 10:08 AM, zoza said:

are some areas in Thailand corruption/scam free ?

:laugh: :laugh: and the country you come from is corruption/scam free ?

On 3/10/2018 at 10:08 AM, zoza said:

• Like 1