are some areas in Thailand corruption/scam free ?

zoza

I was having a beer with an old friend who had just returned from a trip upcountry, and he told me  about an incident that he had

encountered, it was a horrible tale but I will not go into details ,as he said this was just one person.

I remarked that on my stays in the wifes village I had also had some bad experiences with the levels of duplicity and scams

that seemed to be a cottage industry within that particular village, he then said he did not think his village was any where

near as bad as the wifes village.

is there such a village where there is no corruption/scams? I have not traveled that much from village to village but I would of thought

that most are tainted in some way or other. I am sure that the bloke who's MIL bought the house/bought the car/did not want

any sin-sod and all the family are perfect will have the answer, maybe we can have a map of ''good villages''. cheers.  

37 minutes ago, zoza said:

I am sure that the bloke who's MIL bought the house/bought the car/did not want

any sin-sod and all the family are perfect will have the answer, maybe we can have a map of ''good villages''. cheers.  

MIL stands for Mother in Law not bloke, it was a skit at the people who come on here and never have any problems, and the family pay for everything and never ask for anything.

The friend I was talking about has never had any problems until he started building and buying land and starting a business.

once it became known he had more money than the old village head he became a

target....basically due to jealousy and to prove who was the top man.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, zoza said:

The friend I was talking about has never had any problems until he started building and buying land and starting a business.

once it became known he had more money than the old village head he became a

target....basically due to jealousy and to prove who was the top man.

So you probably mean he became a target of some kind of extortion? (not corruption)

Wake up man,

Everywhere is the same only the view is different and the way they do look different.

We all forget that we all came from africa and change the color of the skin and eyes. Adjusted the body. The inside nearly the same since those days that we left africa with some minor tweaks.

Scams and all the bad things are everywhere like the good things are too.

Symbolized perfectly by the way ying and yang are represented. Have a look at that, will answer all your questions.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I live in a Thai village upcountry, and no Thai has ever scammed or attempted to scam me to my knowledge, quite the opposite in fact, there are two 7-11s and a mini Tesco, regular markets nearby, and if I have given too much money by mistake or walked away without my change or purchases, the people have always treated  me with honesty.

If you think I said anything in my post which made you think I don't think this is possible, please read my post again because I didn't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

A small tale. A bear was walking through the woods one day . He needed a dump. So he went behind a rock and sqwated down . He looked to his right and there was a rabbit. He asked the rabbit if shit stuck to his fir. The rabbit replied no. So the bear picked the rabbit up and wiped his arse on him.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:  almost blew my coffee all over my keyboard over that one.....Tks

4 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

A small tale. A bear was walking through the woods one day . He needed a dump. So he went behind a rock and sqwated down . He looked to his right and there was a rabbit. He asked the rabbit if shit stuck to his fir. The rabbit replied no. So the bear picked the rabbit up and wiped his arse on him.

Old ones are the best

I can honestly say that after nine years living in a Thai village I have never been scammed or had any personal experience of corruption. But I do have a habit of saying no to pretty much everything.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The scams are nor just towards farang. They are mainly on other villagers. 

My Mrs mom's sister is befriended by their neighbours and gambles in the house with the family who run the game. 3 family members versus 1 non family member. She never wins. Difficult to try to explain to her she is 60 years old and uneducated so if she has not clued it by now she never will.

Mrs told me a funny story about her good teacher. This guy was a great teacher he always sold the children sweets and set up a tuck shop every day during break. He listened intently to all the mothers and always found solutions to their problems. Teacher now owns most of the land surrounding his former place of work.

Went away for 2.5 months a year and a bit ago and my Mrs stayed with her family. Villagers saw her car and then gave her a credit facility for the lottery. Same week an old school friend turns up who has a job getting loans for villagers (hoping they default). Took my Mrs on a tour of her families village and pointed out the lovely big houses. Each house had a sad story of a woman with a farang who ended up broke and back working in bkk. The houses just gather dust mo one even lives in them. Lottery is the bane of village people amd the beginning of the end of anyone who gets sucked into it. 

Edited by Rc2702
  • Thanks 1

If you`re a whitey living in Thailand, at some time or other there will be Thais trying to cheat and scam you, even neighbours and the family of a Thai spouse.

Protecting ourselves from corruption and scams only comes with experience after living in Thailand for a good while, the old saying; once bitten, twice shy. Thailand is not a safe country for the naive and the inexperienced of the ways of the land. 

Corruption is everywhere, it`s just the ways they conduct business here, it has no boundaries, starts from the bottom of the heap right up to the very top of the pile. There are those who are considered above the laws and even the so-called law enforcers are corrupt. Have enough money and know the right people with the right connections, one has almost a freehand to do as they like here. It`s just the way it is and widely accepted as the norm in this country.

Welcome to the LOSC, land of scams and corruption.

5 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

The scams are nor just towards farang. They are mainly on other villagers. 

My Mrs mom's sister is befriended by their neighbours and gambles in the house with the family who run the game. 3 family members versus 1 non family member. She never wins. Difficult to try to explain to her she is 60 years old and uneducated so if she has not clued it by now she never will.

Mrs told me a funny story about her good teacher. This guy was a great teacher he always sold the children sweets and set up a tuck shop every day during break. He listened intently to all the mothers and always found solutions to their problems. Teacher now owns most of the land surrounding his former place of work.

Went away for 2.5 months a year and a bit ago and my Mrs stayed with her family. Villagers saw her car and then gave her a credit facility for the lottery. Same week an old school friend turns up who has a job getting loans for villagers (hoping they default). Took my Mrs on a tour of her families village and pointed out the lovely big houses. Each house had a sad story of a woman with a farang who ended up broke and back working in bkk. The houses just gather dust mo one even lives in them. Lottery is the bane of village people amd the beginning of the end of anyone who gets sucked into it. 

Yes.

Distributed amongst my little cluster of villages were what I called "foreign tombstones"-largish houses standing deserted and abandoned.

The foreign husband had either died or returned to their own country.

I also agree that gambling was/is a mega problem in the villages-as well as raising ridiculous sums of money on weddings and funerals and such like.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Here It Is said:

Only if one is daft.  Our wedding was cheap as chips and an enjoyable affair.

I was referring to the Thai villagers-as was the poster I responded to.

And yes,in their indigence,they often raised ridiculous amounts of money for family events,to cover gambling losses and for motor vehicles that they could ill afford.

I presume "cheap as chips" is some form of sub Laotian dialect?