PM Prayut asks people to prepare for ageing society

webfact

PM asks people to prepare for ageing society

PNSOC610310001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 12h March 2018 (NNT) - Population ageing and the well-being of older persons are major emerging challenges in Thailand, according to the prime minister. 

Addressing the public in his nationally televised program on Friday night, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha stated that Thailand is becoming an ageing society. By 2020, 20% of the population will be senior citizens while the proportion making up the working group will be smaller than it is now. When this happens, he said the country’s revenue from taxes will drop significantly, and the government will have to spend more on medical bills and monthly allowances for the elderly. 

Gen Prayut then called on every individual to better themselves on a consistent basis, which he believes is one of the solutions to the ageing population, adding that self-improvement translates to an ability to help move the nation forward. 

Other challenges Thailand along with the rest of the world will face, include global warming, climate change, natural disasters, economic slowdowns, and the shift in power around the globe, said the prime minister.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-03-12

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Oh my God, oh my God! Such rank hypocrisy: 'better yourself' - from the man who squashes all freedom, all rights to a critical and enquiring mind, all independent self-expression, and all social and political justice. As if he cares about the poor and elderly!

His stinking B.S. never comes to an end, does it? It just stenches out the whole nation of Thailand!

Perhaps you might give some examples of your loss of freedom, restrictions, etc under the current Gov't.... Then, I guess, if it's so bad here why do you stay???

1 hour ago, Darcula said:

I want to meet that happy ageing family in the pic. Do they still live in the Dreamstime stock photo archives?

Well, if trying to promote an idea, you wouldn't use pics of grumpy old farts, would you??

There is something particularly nauseating about a very, VERY rich guy - whose wealth has been acquired via, let us say, 'dubious' means - lecturing millions of poor people on how they should be 'preparing' for their old age. 

If certain juntas - accountable to no one but themselves - were not robbing the nation blind, day in, day out, behind the protection of tanks and guns - then maybe the nation could afford to give a decent pension to the poor of Thailand.

It's not rocket science. It's just basic humanity and morality. But this bunch know nothing of either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

File:Aflac-duck.jpg

AFRAC!

*AFLAC is an insurance company with a 55+ target market. Their mascot is a talking duck which loudly quacks out the company name in their commercials. The spelling AFLAC was changed to AFRAC as a joke to reflect how Thais sometimes switch l's and r's in their pronunciation. I know, I know, thanks for the explanation, but still not funny. Just didn't want anyone thinking I was losing my mind. :biggrin:

Edited by Gecko123

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

There is something particularly nauseating about a very, VERY rich guy - whose wealth has been acquired via, let us say, 'dubious' means - lecturing millions of poor people on how they should be 'preparing' for their old age. 

If certain juntas - accountable to no one but themselves - were not robbing the nation blind, day in, day out, behind the protection of tanks and guns - then maybe the nation could afford to give a decent pension to the poor of Thailand.

It's not rocket science. It's just basic humanity and morality. But this bunch know nothing of either.

Actually there were plans to increase the pension or to implement a pension system long ago already.....by Mr.T...!

• Like 2

I casually watched parts of the Friday evening show...

I got the firm impression that the country's problems will largely be solved by getting boy scouts to march about more...

• Like 1