Scooter for Girl

mackayae

Oh dear... Apologies for commenting so negatively on this, it's probably not what you want to hear... 

Wait a couple of years and get her an old car... Much safer than having a child ride around on a scooter.

I sincerely hope this does not turn out to be the most heartbreaking decision you have ever made. 

The safest scooter out there:
Yamaha Tricity - 155cc ABS...  It has the best stability with two front wheels, it has the best and most stable braking with ABS.
Left brake lever applies brakes to both front and rear wheels. Right brake lever applies brakes to front wheels only. 

Thought they were discontinued?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Left brake lever applies brakes to both front and rear wheels. Right brake lever applies brakes to front wheels only. 

I rode a bike with this feature recently and found it a little strange, especially when you specifically want rear brake only, front wheel is loosing traction in wet/gravel etc. I suppose it works combined with ABS but still feels odd when you only want rear brake.

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I rode a bike with this feature recently and found it a little strange, especially when you specifically want rear brake only, front wheel is loosing traction in wet/gravel etc. I suppose it works combined with ABS but still feels odd when you only want rear brake.

One should always endeavor to balance the braking force on a motorcycle. Experts generally agree on 70% on the front, 30% on the rear. It comes naturally with experience, once one gets the 'feel' of the bike. One should never use single wheel braking. It destabilizes the machine. 

I had not used CBS until I bought my Click 3 years ago. Having got used to it, I think is a very good system. One hand for throttle, one hand for braking. Balanced riding, balanced braking. I've never had any issues with it and I would certainly recommend it for an inexperienced youngster.

I have another thought to add, for the benefit of the O/P and his daughter.

If you do ahead, I recommend that you enroll your daughter on a riding course before letting her loose on the roads.

My wife although experienced, having ridden both here and in Egypt took a 3 day course in Udon Thani prior to renewing her licence. It was well worth the investment as she has a very safety conscious attitude to her riding and displays a high degree of knowledge regarding road rules.

All riders should be required to take such a course before being issued with their first licence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, akirasan said:

I know nothing about scooters.  But over the weekend we took a look at some Yamahas because my wife needs a new one.  They were selling last years models for around 20,000 thb.  

If you don't buy Honda, she (and everyone else) will think you are 'cheap'.

• Haha 1

The one and the colour she wants. That however may not fit in with the finances. (Originally I went to a shop at 16 with my father and chose a scooter but the shop's negotiating wasn't to my father's liking so I didn't get that one. I got an old used one from the newspaper.) 

Even if you don't buy what she want's she should at least be involved in discussion and the process. Even if she want's a Man Utd Honda Scoopy and you end up buying a pink Honda Super Cub 

Yes to the riding course.  

17 hours ago, mackayae said:

Want to buy a new scooter for my 15 year old daughter. Looking for recommendations. Electric start, automatic. Thank you in advance.

Your kid won't want a heavy scooter.

Got a Honda Wave for my 15yo and she loves it.

PS. Don't forget it's illegal for her to ride over 110cc until she is 17, so your legal choice is limited.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Tricity discontinued ?....  Nope...  I think the 125cc may have been discontinued.

The 155cc ABS version is available for about 98000 baht.

Both illegal for a 15yo to ride.

(And way too heavy for a girl)

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know if she likes it but if she likes it I recommend buy her one with gears and at clutch.

1st advantage is if she learns to drive on that she can easily later change to a bigger bike.

2nd and I think BIG advantage: She will need both hands on the handlebar and that means she can't just drive with one hand and use her mobile phone with the other hand.

I quite like this advise. It's how I started some 50 odd years ago (yickes!)

No mobiles back then of course, but I have always been a very firm believer in 'both hands on the grips at all times'.

It horrifies me to see what some riders get up to here.

But are such machines available in the 110cc range. They all seem to be step-throughs with automatic clutches.

And girlies always seem to have things that they absolutely must carry. Which makes scooters, with their under-seat storage quite attractive to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

If you don't buy Honda, she (and everyone else) will think you are 'cheap'.

Maybe where your from here in BKK Honda is no longer top dog. Yamaha Aerox is for instance popular (I own one). Just parking in the shopping centers you see many non Honda with far better design. Maybe its different where you live. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I quite like this advise. It's how I started some 50 odd years ago (yickes!)

No mobiles back then of course, but I have always been a very firm believer in 'both hands on the grips at all times'.

It horrifies me to see what some riders get up to here.

But are such machines available in the 110cc range. They all seem to be step-throughs with automatic clutches.

And girlies always seem to have things that they absolutely must carry. Which makes scooters, with their under-seat storage quite attractive to them.

My gf prefers my bike over hers she has one with gears I have a full automatic. She says that when there is a lot of traffic (BKK) automatic is better as you don't have to shift gears all the time.  I have owned big and small bikes and most of what I owned had gears but for scooters automatic rules.

Only idiots use a phone on a scooter, im sure the OP his daughter is not an idiot I do like the suggestion of sending her to a motorcycle course. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I have another thought to add, for the benefit of the O/P and his daughter.

If you do ahead, I recommend that you enroll your daughter on a riding course before letting her loose on the roads.

My wife although experienced, having ridden both here and in Egypt took a 3 day course in Udon Thani prior to renewing her licence. It was well worth the investment as she has a very safety conscious attitude to her riding and displays a high degree of knowledge regarding road rules.

All riders should be required to take such a course before being issued with their first licence.

If your wife rode in Egypt, particularly Cairo, I reckon she could ride anywhere in the world.  

47 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Going a little too fast into winding canyon roads and having to deftly apply the rear brake to wash off the speed. Valid yes for an experienced rider.

But hardly appropriate for day to day riding on the streets of Thailand.

Let's be realistic shall we, instead of trying to 'score points'.

Riding instructors and safety experts agree on balanced front and rear braking.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1