So much for zebra crossings - Russian tourist mown down on one in Jomtien

webfact

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I was thinking 'why post that?'

Then I enlarged it.

???

Must get new Gregories.

They got these "road signs" just a few months ago after the road got a new surface.
In front of 4 schools...

A zebra crossing here is not a place to cross the road, it’s target practice. If they don’t stop at red lights they’re never going to stop at a crossing. Don’t try to educate them, hit them where it hurts....in their pocket.

As for the murdered Russian tourist, has his family been asked to pay the motorcycle riders hospital bills yet?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

It is not known if the campaign is being rolled out nationwide.

Rolled under the carpet would prove more effective. Most of the morons on the bikes follow no road laws at all. And short of the miracle of the RTP actually enforcing those laws, and the courts imposing swingeing penalties, they will continue not to do so.

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

If they want the crossings to work put a series (not just one) of humps/sleeping policemen in front of them each direction. Nothing else makes people slow down.

I doubt those would slow the bikes ... but coming off certainly would.

Hey Farang !!!
Do you want to commit suicide ???

Don't jump from you balcony. It's way too messy. 

Just cross the street at a zebra crossing. Success guaranteed !!!

You don't even have to write a suicide note. Saves time and money on paper and a pen.

Edited by PAIBKK
  • Haha 1

RIP, zebra crossings do not have force fields around them to protect the pedestrians. In Thailand and all other countries you must use care when crossing the street, and never assume a vehicle will stop for you.

As someone else mentioned, zebra crossings in Thailand have nothing to do with pedestrians safely crossing the road, but are beautifications in honour of the okapi, the Congolese forest giraffe (--> law of the jungle!!). At best they are there for better target practice to run over people who are crossing there... :smile:

16 hours ago, harada said:

After nearly being mown down by a Tuk Tuk driver who took aim at me whilst attempting to cross a zebra crossing in Chiang Mai, I now make a point of warning tourists who are about to cross at pedestrian crossings with or without lights not to take it for granted that the traffic will stop, hopefully I may have saved a few lives. :thumbsup:

Chiang Mai is crazy now .... nobody wants to stop ... 

With so many speed bumps in Thailand to deal with, what's a few more?

They should place two "mother of all speed bumps"  on either side of Zebra crossings.  Paint them bright yellow and use flashing lights. Warning motorists they are about to turn their vehicle into scrap metal if they don't slow down to a crawl. 

19 hours ago, robblok said:

As a car driver here I don't always know what to do. If you stop for a Zebra crossing people behind you honk the horn and on the sides they still pass you.

The trick is just to slow down without stopping , so you avoid any angry drivers from behind. Never had an accident here after 7 years. 

This is not the first deadly accident involving foreign guests staying at the Ambassador.  What do the staff do to warn them ? Nothing ?  Should be handed out flyers with warnings in Russian and other languages. 

It will save lives for sure, because the Russians are clueless and think they can act like they do at home. 

Zebra crossings are of course not only a waste of paint but an added danger.

That is a particularly bad spot with fast driving and a large number of tourists occupying the area. A walkway over the highway would make sense but some people seem to refuse to use them.  The traffic would be coming from the wrong way for a Russian.

Perhaps fences to channel pedestrians and prevent them crossing randomly as is seen in Europe.

The video near the top of the thread exhibits that the selfish and unfocused driving here contributes to accidents. It contrasts highly to say UK, where vehicles will stop if someone is on the crossing, or Bali where they seem to politely and super patiently let pedestrians cross.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

They should close that zebra crossing 

If the Russians staying at the Ambassador want to go across the dual lane highway  to Mimosa they should have to walk 135 meters to the pedestrian overhead bridge or take their chances on becoming road kill that we all take 

That crossing is often police controlled. The only way you'll get Thai drivers to stop.

21 hours ago, MrJohnson said:

Zebra crossing sin Thailand, purely decorative. That one in particular is just plain ridiculous. I would guess that average speed along there is 60-80kmh. People simply will not stop. Either need traffic lights or an overhead bridge.

There is a bridge just a few minutes walk away.

There is a pedestrian bridge at that point. My Mrs. constantly asks why people not use it when we are driving past. Maybe she is right.

Many condolences to family, friends and loved ones of the deceased.

17 hours ago, mark01 said:

Again and again it comes down to police not enforcing road laws. Only interested in road stops for helmet, licence, etc., Which does NOTHING to prevent road accidents and carnage on Thai roads.

Do the police even know the laws themselves. Only the other day I witnessed a policeman stopping traffic outside Kasikorn bank on South Pattaya Road to allow people to cross the road. There is a clearly marked zebra crossing 20 or so meters further along the road outside Tukcom where the traffic stopped again.

Every day on Thai roads you can witness total disregard for lane discipline, complete lack of respect for others especially pedestrians, no manners at all, turning from inappropriate lanes, failure to use mirrors, and utter arrogance bordering on criminal. So there is absolutely no chance a Thai will EVER respect a zebra crossing. Keep off them if you are a pedestrian.

1 hour ago, SpicyMeatball said:

Zebra crossings are only effective on the African plains where you’ll actually find zebras.

Thailand needs to install, enforce right of way & protect highly effective, flashing lights pedestrian crosswalks!

Plain & <deleted> simple as that!

better to have subways.....underground walkways for pedestrians....

I see the same thing in Los Angeles, except there the pedestrians have the right of way, big time. But, I see pedestrians walking right in front of my car, without even looking! I often roll my windows down, and say to them "don't you think you are taking an awful lot for granted, not even looking?" They look at me like I am from Mars. 

Crossing the street in Thailand is a very, very dangerous thing to do. I always do it very carefully, and always look both ways, even if it is a one way street! Pedestrians beware. Alot get taken out here. Alot. The drivers just do not care. The drivers here have such a staggering lack of respect, consideration, regard for safety, and skill. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1