Transferring Car Ownership

I have recieved all documents from owner of car for transferring. Blue book and transfer form. Can this only be transferred in Suratthani and not on Samui? Dlt in lipa noi say I have to go to Suratthani. 

Anybody any experience with doing this and where is the office and how long it takes etc?

Car from another province ? (Number plate)
Foreign seller or Thai seller ?
I'm assuming you are not Thai and want the car registered in your name...you may well need a "certificate of residence" from immigration or work permit,or yellow house book.

If foreign seller then you might need certificate of residence from them too.

It would be slightly easier (no need for residence certificate)
to put it in Thai name.....but only if you completely trust that person as it will effectively be their car not yours !

Sounds like the DLT need you to goto the main office because the car is from another province and
so they require it to be "moved" to the Suratthani province. They will give you new number plates.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2018 at 1:30 PM, johng said:

It would be slightly easier (no need for residence certificate)
to put it in Thai name.....but only if you completely trust that person as it will effectively be their car not yours !

Sounds like the DLT need you to goto the main office because the car is from another province and
so they require it to be "moved" to the Suratthani province. They will give you new number plates.

I think you have to go to Rayong to do the transfer but I am not sure. Maybe there is a way round it. Might have to re- register the car to suratthani then sell. It’s a head ache or it used to be

4 minutes ago, BigC said:

I think you have to go to Rayong to do the transfer

No I'm pretty sure (99%)  you don't have to goto Rayong  the whole process can be done at the main DLT of the "new destination" province  in this case it would be Suratthani

you ask for the vehicle to be "moved" to Suratthani  province,they issue a new number plates

( old ones must be returned to the DLT in Suratthani ) and change of name  in the blue book....this will require more than 1 trip to the DLT

An agent can do all this for a small very reasonable fee...considering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, johng said:

No I'm pretty sure (99%)  you don't have to goto Rayong  the whole process can be done at the main DLT of the "new destination" province  in this case it would be Suratthani

you ask for the vehicle to be "moved" to Suratthani  province,they issue a new number plates

( old ones must be returned to the DLT in Suratthani ) and change of name  in the blue book....this will require more than 1 trip to the DLT

An agent can do all this for a small very reasonable fee...considering.

Yes thats right its the main DLT in the new province. Agent can do most of it but there is often a DLT inspection that the agent doesnt do.