Video: Carnage in the making - appalling driving on Thai roads

webfact

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

There have been many times I have been forced to move out of the way of oncoming vehicles here in Thailand, but I don't think I have witnessed anything quite as ludicrous as this. This is beyond being selfish or dangerous.

Yep. And when driving on the wrong side of the road towards you they even flash their lights to tell you to make way for them!

Totally selfish, self centered and entitled. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

And they wonder why the road toll is so high...........little or no idea!

And what's just as bad, the Government has no idea how to deal with it (apart from making announcements)! Absolute third world idiots. :post-4641-1156693976:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Isn't this the way most Thais drive and overtake?  I'm not sure why this incident received any attention on social media.

Not really. They usually wait for a blind curve on a hill in my experience 

• Haha 2

I have seen that a lot when I was doing my visa run to Cambodia at the border near Surin I was driving my own car and fast learned to pull to the shoulder while a big transport was still on my side of the road  I almost ht the ditch,

Scary driving and very exciting.

It's just business as usual in Thailand, you see people pulling the craziest stunts to pass the car in front of them, even if that car is the last one in a line of about 10,000. Makes absolutely no sense, but they do it all the time and don't seem to care one iota what the result of their crazy and stupid stunts could be.

I had the same thing happen to me on a narrow two lane road: I was going one way on my motorbike, and towards me came a car which was suddenly being overtaken by another car, which fortunately managed to miss me by about one-tenth of a millimeter. It's no wonder about 100 people a day die in Thai traffic, so many people just don't give a damn about traffic rules, road safety or whatever, it's all just ME FIRST!!!

Edited by rudi49jr

17 hours ago, marinediscoking said:

Would be nice to see if some gov. official put pressure on police to track down the License plate and shame the owner somehow. Should be enough attention to this video by now to make that happen. Seems the only way to get someone to change over here is by loss of face.

It would have to be an awful lot of pressure. To get the police involved in any activity that does not end with a payout is a very difficult task, as it defies the very nature of the "franchise".

Yep, you can't put brains in statues; from my experience of  many Thai drives in general, impatient, ignorant, irresponsible and arrogant.

Absolutely no concept of the consequences or their deplorable and thoughtless driving actions.     

Entering the Thai road network...........Goodbye.... Good luck...... Good God

Driving Miss Daisy.png

• Like 1

I had this happen to me this week.  Due to a car parked on the road, an oncoming pickup pulled into the middle of my lane.  It's suicidal.  It was dive for the shoulder or die.  If I had not, it would have been a head-on collision.  I've stopped trying to even fathom what the hell is going through the minds of most Thai drivers.  Based on their driving inclinations, its eventually a windshield.  Personally, I don't give a rip about them - but I do care about those lives they end due to there idiocy.  And at the end of the day, it's all on the Thai govenment for not doing a thing about the carnage other than setting up more roadblocks (shake-downs) and issuing mewling lip service that means nothing.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1