Your waist matters if you want to fly THAI Dreamliner

webfact

7 minutes ago, todlad said:

Don't argue but every 787 I have been on squeezes me in and every A380 I have been on lets me breathe out!

Thai Airways 787-800 economy class seat: Seat pitch - 32", Width - 18". 240 seats.

Thai Airways A380-800 economy class seat: Seat pitch - 31" to 32", Width - 18". 435 seats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bubba said:

Again, that has nothing to do with the aircraft or its manufacturer.

Imagine for a moment if RyanAir started flying A380s.

Not arguing as I understand the point you are making. I am giving you my experience of having flown on the 787 with several carriers and one A380 carrier. It seems to be a trend that the 787 crams us into a small space while the A380 allows some room for expansion.

The obvious question here, which none of the "journalist" numpties bothered to explore, is what's happening with the other airlines that are receiving the same Dreamliner aircraft from Boeing?

If this is some kind of Boeing aircraft design feature for these particular seats, then what's happening with the same issue on other airlines getting the same aircraft?

Or, this is something that THAI customized just for their planes, for whatever reason and why, and the rest of the Dreamliner fleet and those airlines passengers are unaffected by the issue?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, todlad said:

Not arguing as I understand the point you are making. I am giving you my experience of having flown on the 787 with several carriers and one A380 carrier. It seems to be a trend that the 787 crams us into a small space while the A380 allows some room for expansion.

OK, well it's not the case with Thai Airways, where there is less seat pitch with nearly twice as many passengers in their A380 compared to their 787-800. Personally, even if their seat pitches were the same, I would go with half as many passengers.

Just curious, which airline were you referring to that crammed you in to a 787, but their A380 seat was spacious?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Misterwhisper said:

Indeed. And also pay excess baggage fees.

i agree these chubby checkers should be made to pay 

actually everyone should declare their total weight when buy the ticket.

and that beings total of bags and body.

when go to checkin they then should weight bags and also get passenger to stand on the luggage belt also.

any difference over 2kg be paid there on credit card.

also they should consider the poor smuck who have to sit next to these lardasses

especially if you are sandwiched between 2 blubber guts

well you should get 10% discounts which the 2 chubbys on each side pay 5% 

• Like 2

Just now, bubba said:

OK, well it's not the case with Thai Airways, where there is less seat pitch with nearly twice as many passengers in their A380 compared to their 787-800. Personally, even if their seat pitches were the same, I would go with half as many passengers.

Just curious, which airline were you referring to that crammed you in to a 787, but their A380 seat was spacious?

I have only flown on the A380 with Emirates and their seat pitch for 3 and 2 class configurations are 32 - 34 inches with seat width of 18 and 17.5 inches respectively.

For the Dreamliner, I did a search for a variety of airlines and the pitch on my sample of eight airlines ranges from 31 to 33 : four airlines 31, 2 airlines 32 and 2 airlines 33. Seat width ranges from 16.9 to 17.5.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The obvious question here, which none of the "journalist" numpties bothered to explore, is what's happening with the other airlines that are receiving the same Dreamliner aircraft from Boeing?

If this is some kind of Boeing aircraft design feature for these particular seats, then what's happening with the same issue on other airlines getting the same aircraft?

Or, this is something that THAI customized just for their planes, for whatever reason and why, and the rest of the Dreamliner fleet and those airlines passengers are unaffected by the issue?

No, Boeing does not design seats. Passenger seat manufacturers such as Stelia-Aerospace (formerly EADS Sogerma, a division of Airbus) do and Thai Airways have contracted them for many of their seats, including for Boeing aircraft.

3 minutes ago, bubba said:

No, Boeing does not design seats. Passenger seat manufacturers such as Stelia-Aerospace (formerly EADS Sogerma, a division of Airbus) do and Thai Airways have contracted them for many of their seats, including for Boeing aircraft.

Zodiac Seats France Cirrus III model oblique business-class passenger seats manufactured by Zodiac Seats UK

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1duckyboy said:

So those back in cattle car (tourist class) don't get the airbag seatbelts? Interesting that you have to pay more for a safety system. 

No, it's because business class has different seats which are side-facing and for that reason, US FAA required airbags for those seats.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2015/04/28/2015-09784/special-conditions-boeing-model-787-9-dynamic-test-requirements-for-single-occupant-oblique

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

Seriously, qualify or disqualify, this will take care of me ever flying with Thai.

They lost my business 15+ years ago when I was flying in business class Bkk to Jakarta with my 18 year old Thai son, both flying on totally flexible most expensive class tickets.

The open vocal rudeness to my son was a disgrace, and no answer ever to 2 letters of complaint.

This incident was the last straw, plenty of other airlines.

It's wonderful that we can still ridicule fat people without being branded as insensitive and politically incorrect. We have so few choices now when it comes to boosting our self esteem at the expense of others.

However we must be careful that the fat person isn't a visible minority or Moslem. Oh and no fat women, fat gays or fat disabled people.

We would want those liberal losers branding us now would we.

Just now, scorecard said:

They lost my business 15+ years ago when I was flying in business class Bkk to Jakarta with my 18 year old Thai son, both flying on totally flexible most expensive class tickets.

The open vocal rudeness to my son was a disgrace, and no answer ever to 2 letters of complaint.

This incident was the last straw, plenty of other airlines.

That is a disgrace.  What was your 18 yer old son doing to attract such vocal rudeness, especially in Business Class? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bubba said:

No, it's because business class has different seats which are side-facing and for that reason, US FAA required airbags for those seats.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2015/04/28/2015-09784/special-conditions-boeing-model-787-9-dynamic-test-requirements-for-single-occupant-oblique

So that leaves the question I posed above seemingly still unresolved:

Is this waist size restriction something THAI chose to do on their own just for their particular seats?

Or the same waist size restriction is going to apply to other airlines' business class seats with the same kinds of seating on the Dreamliners, because of the FAA order?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

If that is business class pictured, I guess zoo class is where passengers are horizontally stacked with a brown line thrown over them. Also, why did it take 6 months carrying pax supposedly ‘unsafely’ before gut sizes became an issue?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As for your child at 12 years old I would hope you trained him well enough that he doesn't disturb other passengers.

My comments, which I had assumed people would understand, were aimed at people taking uncontrolled, spoiled, small, bratty children that scream constantly and annoy other people. 

I am with you on this. Amen ! No problem with kids at all, if their parents have brought them up to be well mannered, considerate of others and polite. Sadly this is not always the case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see nothing unfair in this. I do not fly Thai but if that is their policy, fine. Its their policy to make. If one does not like it, then do not fly with them. Easy. But I have to say that overweight people on the whole should have some respect for others. The facts are many overweight people are overweight due to greed, gluttony and laziness. I can not guarantee I am right, but I reckon the majority are self inflicted in being overweight. You don't see many obese people in poor countries, where food is scarce. I always feel sorry for anyone who has to sit next to some grossly overweight person, who can not be bothered to lose weight and expects others to put up with it. Squashed next to you, taking up your space, legs touching yours, arm rest taken, sweating...come on lets be real...its disgusting. Not sure people are that effected in business class, as seats are separated. But in economy, it must be horrible for anyone who finds themselves in that situation. It is totally selfish and ignorant in my books. I am not prejudice, its what I think many of us feel. Lose weight and have some self respect. Of course those with genuine medical complaints that can not help it, I fully appreciate. Its a medical condition and I respect that and have sympathy for them. I have no wish to offend anyone. But the lazy self inflicted people who simply can not be bothered to lose weight, sorry no sympathy. Buy two seats.

Edited by davidcc
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Dreamliner living up to its name with no kids and no fatties!!  I think this will increase business class travel. 

May be there is now a better chance to get redemption flight. Many freebie flyers may fall under this ban. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davidcc said:

I see nothing unfair in this. I do not fly Thai but if that is their policy, fine. Its their policy to make. If one does not like it, then do not fly with them. Easy. But I have to say that overweight people on the whole should have some respect for others. The facts are many overweight people are overweight due to greed, gluttony and laziness. I can not guarantee I am right, but I reckon the majority are self inflicted in being overweight. You don't see many obese people in poor countries, where food is scarce. I always feel sorry for anyone who has to sit next to some grossly overweight person, who can not be bothered to lose weight and expects others to put up with it. Squashed next to you, taking up your space, legs touching yours, arm rest taken...come one lets be real...its disgusting. Not sure people are that effected in business class as sets are separated. But in economy, it must be horrible for anyone who finds themselves in that situation. It is totally selfish and ignorant in my books. I am not prejudice, its what I think many of us feel. Lose weight and have some self respect.

+1

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, davidcc said:

Of course those with genuine medical complaints that can not help it, I fully appreciate and have sympathy for. I have no wish to offend anyone.

Your final paragraph just about saved you from a 'short ring in the butts:shock1:

Image result for fig 11 gallery targets

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1