For US expats - Tax return filing via Turbo Tax rejected, what to do next?

Last night Turbo Tax filed my fed and state returns, all well and good. This morning it emailed me to inform that both have been rejected (reason: see pic1). I then clicked on the "let's fix my return" button and it took me to to log onto my turbo tax account, then onto the page where it shows  the "fix my return" button (pic2). Clicked on that it takes me to the next page (pic3) where it says : 

"Let's try entering your 2016 AGI again
The IRS already rejected this number: 
$5,424."

But that's the correct number for 2016 AGI (adjusted gross income) - so why does IRS want that number to be changed on this year 2017 return? and what's 2016 AGI got to do with this year's return anyway?

Background info: 
last year I filed tax returns for 2016 (after many years of not doing so) to get back the tax witholding ( for the amount of $5,424) that occurred during my IRA withdrawal in that year. I used Tax Act by the recommendation and very helpful advice of a few Thaivisa members here, the returns came back promptly and on the penny. This year I only have SS retirement income but still by the same aforementioned advice I make it a habbit of filing every year from now on...However, Tax Act now wants me to pay for its services, so I got back to IRS website, and via its portal I was able to use Turbo Tax (its "freedom edition") to file free. Now I have no clue about this 2016 AGI snag....
Any input/advice will be very appreciated, thank you much in advance and have a nice day.

returnreject1.jpg

returnreject2.jpg

returnreject3.jpg

29 minutes ago, smo said:

oops I just saw the not matching. But why does 2016 AGI showed up on this year 2017 return as 5424, I didn't enter that.

Maybe I did afterall - and this must have been one of the last items to fill in while going through Turbo Tax. IRS wants you to enter the figure yourself so it can compare to last year return. It was after 3am so I must have typed in 5424 instead of 5414 and with that my filing was rejected pronto!

Just corrected the number via Turbo Tax and refile transmitted succesfully, so let's see what happens next? Will keep you posted,

• Like 1

$5424 was rejected because your AGI was $5414 (not $5424 as you state in your OP). Try entering the correct info and it will probably work. The IRS asks for last years AGI to deter fraud.

Good luck. (after posting I read all the posts, sorry for the redundant info)

Edited by Ahab
added additional info

I file by registered mail. As a resident of Thailand, I am not a resident of any US state, nor do I have income from or own property in any state, thus no state taxation. Keep in mind, we also do not have an April filing deadline.

20 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I file by registered mail. As a resident of Thailand, I am not a resident of any US state, nor do I have income from or own property in any state, thus no state taxation. Keep in mind, we also do not have an April filing deadline.

Yes, I just print it out and mail it in. Getting the electronic filing to work (for me anyway) always adds frustration to an already unpleasant task.

I e-Filed using TT for 2017/with no hiccups. Everything worked as promised and my refund was deposited less than a week later. The only glitch was that at the very end, TT adjusted its pricing from the indicated $30+ to $70.  By that point, I didn’t want to upset the apple cart, so I clicked OK and got over their final gouge. 

23 hours ago, smo said:

oops I just saw the not matching. But why does 2016 AGI showed up on this year 2017 return as 5424, I didn't enter that.

you entered the wrong number AGI is adjusted gross income, you entered your tax refund

23 hours ago, smo said:

Maybe I did afterall - and this must have been one of the last items to fill in while going through Turbo Tax. IRS wants you to enter the figure yourself so it can compare to last year return. It was after 3am so I must have typed in 5424 instead of 5414 and with that my filing was rejected pronto!

Just corrected the number via Turbo Tax and refile transmitted succesfully, so let's see what happens next? Will keep you posted,

The only glitch was that at the very end, TT adjusted its pricing from the indicated $30+ to $70.

What in the world was that all about? A surcharge to be able to efile? I just buy the Deluxe package from Amazon for $35, which includes efile (but no state tax return).

6 hours ago, TerryLH said:

If you live here full time you shouldn't have to file state taxes.

True, except if you previously lived in California.

I believe that the State of California considers you to be liable for state taxes until you establish residency in another US state.

14 minutes ago, DrDave said:

True even for California.

The law says you pay in the state you live in.  If you don't live in any state, you don't have to file.

I went through this many years ago with the California tax office, and they agree that is the correct procedure.  That's even with someone receiving a pension (not SS) based on work in California.

Terry

14 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Your welcome, and seeing that you have to pay CA taxes you have my sympathy as well  

Huh, where did you see that? Could you kindly point it out for  clueless me...

3 hours ago, TerryLH said:

True even for California.

The law says you pay in the state you live in.  If you don't live in any state, you don't have to file.

I went through this many years ago with the California tax office, and they agree that is the correct procedure.  That's even with someone receiving a pension (not SS) based on work in California.

Terry

During Turbo Tax questionnaire, I clicked the box that says "if you spend more than 330 days outside of the state" so maybe that has absolved me of any state taxes. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, I'm done with 2017 state returns for both federal and state, unless some one here woud be kind enough to point to what part of the combined tax return filing printout I should consult again, all 18 pages of it courtesy of Turbo Tax. Thanks

I don't understand why 2016 AGI from an IRA withdrawal had anything to do with the 2017 tax year. But so be it.  FYI, I have always filed by paper here in the US.  The online IRS forms are all PDF writeable so it is easy to make nice neat entries.  Check a few calculations and done.  Cost, a few stamps.  I get my refunds always within 4 1/2 weeks.  I scan in the signed copies and email to myself and also store off line on my thumb drive.  So I have records for like ever.   I only do schedule B and Schedule D since I have dividends and interest, but the 1099 from my brokerage is complete and all I have to do is transfer the numbers.  Since some dividends are qualified dividends, I have to use the tax calculation worksheet, but that is about it.  I use excel and it is easy to do the 20 lines and double check the results.  Turbo tax and Taxact things are nice, but I still prefer having records.  Been doing this for 35 years now, and with those PDF forms, it really doesn't take long.  Two hours for the draft.  Take a day off, go back and double check for one hour and done.  3 hours a year is a small burden.  The one year I tried to do things electronically even working with HR Block, the girl had such little understanding of what to put where, I was teaching her.  So it just didn't seem worthwhile.  This year, I mailed in my return March 1.  Today, March 22 I checked the IRS "where's my refund status" and it says refund approved, $5,077, and direct deposit scheduled for Monday, March 26.  Less than 4 weeks soup to nuts.  And this is the last year I have to do NR part year for California, since I now only work and live in Florida.  So amazingly, things are getting simpler dealing with government agencies

Turbo tax and Taxact things are nice, but I still prefer having records. 

In TT, you can save everything, to include the most minute supporting record, in PDF format. And the nice thing about once having done a TT return (or other software) most of the repetitive boilerplate info (name, address, SSN etc,which usually doesn't change) will automatically transfer to the next year's return, saving finger strokes. No big deal, however, if you want to save a few bucks on software and type your info into a PDF form, especially if it's a simple return. Plus, if you're using Adobe Acrobat, you can transfer most of that boilerplate info using the export/import feature. My biggest complaint about having to use the mail system would be: I've had horrible luck with the Thai mail system for letters from abroad. Maybe it's more reliable in reverse.......

• Like 1
On 3/23/2018 at 1:08 PM, gk10002000 said:

This year, I mailed in my return March 1.  Today, March 22 I checked the IRS "where's my refund status" and it says refund approved, $5,077, and direct deposit scheduled for Monday, March 26.  Less than 4 weeks soup to nuts.

I did mine electronically using the free Credit Karma tax on March 13th and my 2 K refund was in my US bank account by March 20th, seven days including a week end 

And this is how long I had to wait getting my tax return last year , filing electronically (weekend/weekday regardless):

"Final update - the State refund came on the 17th (3 days after filing); Federal the 24th (a week after filing). Courtesy of TaxAct, totally free of charge!"

Can't beat that!

• Like 1
On 3/17/2018 at 7:11 AM, DrDave said:

I believe that the State of California considers you to be liable for state taxes until you establish residency in another US state.

I have filed several NR cali returns.  They leave you alone and do not pursue you once you leave the state.  You do not have to send them any documentation, or form or any sort of notification that I am aware of.  The first year where you had no wages in CA, you are done. You simply don't file any CA tax forms. I have been in and out of the state several times and each time as part of my contract engineering temporary job work.  Now NR and PR are  different but I still have never seen anything needed to prove residency in another state.  Now New Mexico is really bad on that point.  They presume if you worked in NM you have established residency, whether you took any actions or not.  But really weirdly they have a whole page on their instruction form about how hard it is to leave NM and prove residency in another state!  So NM takes the position of easy in, not easy out!

Edited by gk10002000