Species identification in Thailand

Tilacme

I'm no expert but I think the proportion of body size to leg length is wrong for a huntsman spider. With a body that big a huntsman's legs would be longer. 

The photo is a huntsman in my workshop. 

IMAG3902.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tapster said:

I'm no expert but I think the proportion of body size to leg length is wrong for a huntsman spider. With a body that big a huntsman's legs would be longer. 

IMAG3902.jpg

I don't think it is a huntsman, looks quite different, but it is also important to bear in mind that the abdomen of a female spider can sometimes be much larger than normal due to be being pregnant.

I too for my Satang's worth say a Golden Tree snake but just possibly a Wall's Bronzeback.

No idea of the bird as have no bird book , the spider I would say is Not a huntsman , too fat , and legs too sort , a bit like the wife , oh and harmless but can be scary.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:05 AM, Tapster said:

IMAG3902.jpg

The OP's looks like a Huntsman, yours looks like a Wolf Spider.

Have a look here: #4 vs #6: https://www.thethailandlife.com/spiders-thailand

I agree with you.

What they are calling a Wolf Spider in your link does look like "my" spider.

However if you look at the photo in my post number 10, that is supposed to be a Thai huntsman.

It seems that Internet sources don't agree. My image in post 10 came from a Google image search for 'Thai Huntsman Spider'.

Edited by Tapster

The third picture is a juvenile brown shrike. This is the shrike one is most likely to see in Thailand as it can be found in many habitats including parks and gardens in Bangkok. It is a migrant and will have now mostly departed to its breeding grounds in China or Siberia. As fully grown birds, they lose the barring on the underparts that can be seen in the photo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tapster said:

I agree with you.

What they are calling a Wolf Spider in your link does look like "my" spider.

However if you look at the photo in my post number 10, that is supposed to be a Thai huntsman.

It seems that Internet sources don't agree. My image in post 10 came from a Google image search for 'Thai Huntsman Spider'.

I just did a slightly broader search on Spiders In Thailand. :wai:

15 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

The OP's looks like a Huntsman, yours looks like a Wolf Spider.

Have a look here: #4 vs #6: https://www.thethailandlife.com/spiders-thailand

Hunstman is a family consisting of some 50 odd genera, the Heteropoda genus in the huntsman family contains a species called the Heteropoda venatoria, which is common in Thailand and looks pretty similar to the pic above, I would say it is at least in the hunstman family.