Privacy warning as 7-Eleven in Thailand to start scanning customer’s faces

webfact

Privacy warning as 7-Eleven in Thailand to start scanning customer’s faces

BY STAFF WRITER 

711-600x336.jpg

7-Eleven is rolling out facial recognition technology to its 11,000 stores in Thailand

The convenience store chain will use the technology in a number of different ways, including to help identify loyal customers, analyse customer traffic and monitor stock levels of products.

Facial recognition will also be used to suggest products to customers and even monitor their emotions while customers are in store, as well as being used to keep tabs on employees.

The company has said it is using the technology developed by American firm Remark Holdings, which claims its facial recognition software has a 96 percent accuracy rate.

Last year, Remark Holdings announced a $10 million investment in CP Group, which operates 7-Eleven in Thailand.

Speaking to the Financial Times, Kai-Shing Tao, Remark’s chief executive said: “Artificial intelligence has the power to completely transform business in every industry.

Full story: https://tech.thaivisa.com/privacy-warning-7-eleven-thailand-start-scanning-customers-faces/27775/

thaitech1.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Tech 2018-03-16

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This must be some kind of joke.Is 7/11 doing this overseas ?  I bet theyre not.  This slaps of Brave New World.

If it does happen immigration police and police in general will move in for the kill ,as well, to see if they can cross ref against their computer data base. This  is a small step forward for convenience and a giant leap backwards for rights.

I wonder if that junta thug and his diamond rolex watch buddies have anything to do with it ?

When entering 7 Eleven in the future:

"Welcome back Mike! I have noticed that you are not here with you mia noi, Nok, this time. I hope she is ok. Perhaps you should buy her some flowers and chocolate, like you did a week ago? Don't forget to buy a pack of Durex."

" Don't worry. I will not tell about your visit to your wife Pla, who visited our Ranong branch just few minutes ago. After all, your bonus points count at the time is higher than hers."

51 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I shall be purchasing some of those face masks that Thais wear and using them in 7 11.

It's not as though they'll be forcing people to submit to be scanned. Tell me if I'm wrong.

you are not wrong

everyone thinks all these innovations from the likes of google facebook and Apple are all for our convenience, face recognition fingerprint scans etc etc - well they are not, they are all being logged and you are being profiled, not by governments as such but by private companies, if it was government action we'd all be protesting about it and how are privacy and human rights were being exploited

Take a look at apple and android user agreements about face and fingerprint scanning and how private it is

Oh so cool I can open my phone with a finger or face scan - yes really cool right ?

i think i'll be using my N95 mask more often now. in addition to filtering polluted air, i also get to annoy this pesky face recognition technology. or i can hold off and wait for a 180 from cp once the backlash comes.

3 hours ago, lanista said:

This must be some kind of joke.Is 7/11 doing this overseas ?  I bet theyre not.  This slaps of Brave New World.

If it does happen immigration police and police in general will move in for the kill ,as well, to see if they can cross ref against their computer data base. This  is a small step forward for convenience and a giant leap backwards for rights.

I wonder if that junta thug and his diamond rolex watch buddies have anything to do with it ?

I don't like it either. If they try to do it, they'll lose a loyal customer. What are the benefits for me, the customer?

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I don't like it either. If they try to do it, they'll lose a loyal customer. What are the benefits for me, the customer?

Potential to be posted on the most handsome customer of the month billboard?

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes soon it will be April 1st.

Well, this news item is a bit early for an April fool's joke.

What's next: fingerprinting when you shop with them? There are easier ways to find out about loyal customers - why not issue membership cards/credit cards to repeat customers? The latter one could even be used to shop online for 7-Eleven products.

Archived