Privacy warning as 7-Eleven in Thailand to start scanning customer’s faces

webfact

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Remember the April Fools Day news post about being able to do online 90-day reporting at your local 7-11?

The joke may soon be no joke!   :ph34r:

Well, if they would let me do my visa extensions at 7-11, that is a price I would be willing to pay to avoid Chaeng Wattana.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Looks like Family Mart is about to get a huge boost in its customer base.

Can you pay lekky and water at FM?

I have no issues whatever with CCTV for security, record it I don't care, tie my shopping to my loyalty card, fine by me (I can simply not use it if I feel threatened). But start linking my image to my shopping habits is a step too far.

I'm going to call for a global boycott of "Seven", the Thai office won't take notice, but maybe an attack on the global business may have an effect.

I know, nothing will happen but one can but try.

ISBN 1471331431

4 hours ago, lanista said:

This must be some kind of joke.Is 7/11 doing this overseas ?  I bet theyre not.  This slaps of Brave New World.

If it does happen immigration police and police in general will move in for the kill ,as well, to see if they can cross ref against their computer data base. This  is a small step forward for convenience and a giant leap backwards for rights.

I wonder if that junta thug and his diamond rolex watch buddies have anything to do with it ?

Not really. They use it at modern airports and MRT stations. In Singapore you can get fined for littering or even looking at your phone walking the street if you're unlucky enough to get picked up by one that can cross reference your ID records.

7/11 wants this for commercial gain by increasing services on offer to returning customers, with a sort of loyalty programme which is only replacing those daft stamps.

Thai police and immigration wouldn't know what to do with this data they have trouble with their own records.

If you're worried about your privacy, better stop going out in public and throw away your smartphone because privacy has been increasingly invaded for a very long time already.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Can you pay lekky and water at FM?

I have no issues whatever with CCTV for security, record it I don't care, tie my shopping to my loyalty card, fine by me (I can simply not use it if I feel threatened). But start linking my image to my shopping habits is a step too far.

I'm going to call for a global boycott of "Seven", the Thai office won't take notice, but maybe an attack on the global business may have an effect.

I know, nothing will happen but one can but try.

ISBN 1471331431

Yes you can and they charge less for these services than 7-11 does. 

I object to any sort of monitoring in general.  As for recognizing loyal customers, while possible to do, then what?  I don't have an account with them.  I pay in cash.  Are they going to reward my loyalty somehow by spreading my face, location, and frequency of visit information all throughout their databases?   Farang_x, y, z as a label since no names are input anywhere by me?  Are they going to run a track fusion and correlation algorithm to associate things.  Kind of funny because that is the type of signal detection and correlation stuff at work

6 hours ago, lanista said:

This must be some kind of joke.Is 7/11 doing this overseas ?  I bet theyre not.  This slaps of Brave New World.

If it does happen immigration police and police in general will move in for the kill ,as well, to see if they can cross ref against their computer data base. This  is a small step forward for convenience and a giant leap backwards for rights.

I wonder if that junta thug and his diamond rolex watch buddies have anything to do with it ?

Fairly standard in UK and China in most public CC TV systems. 

What if the facial recognition system identifies you as that loyal customer who buys lots of face masks , to avoid the facial recognition system, then offers you a discount on face masks for being a loyal customer, but cant identify you to give you the discount because you are wearing a mask ???

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I shall be purchasing some of those face masks that Thais wear and using them in 7 11.

It's not as though they'll be forcing people to submit to be scanned. Tell me if I'm wrong.

You are not wrong & I will also do, or just boycott them but I don't see Thai 7/11 backing down so let them go under.

As the costs to collect, collate, analyze customer data decrease, and the value of monetizing that data increases, we should probably expect this trend to continue.

We're probably pretty close to being able to track eye movement and reactions (skin temp?) to product advertising and displays, and DNA collection to target all sorts of services is probably not that far off.

But I'm sure all this data will be kept secure, be unhackable and there will be no downsides....nevermind.

I think a photo/facial scan/national ID scan is now required for a new mobile phone SIM purchase? And most of us have been scanned at departing/arriving immigration.

22 hours ago, lanista said:

Australia are looking at doing away with passports checks and only using facial recognition technology instead. 

Every technology is introduced as being great for the population as a whole.

It will only be a matter of time before the entire database is commandeered by the Government, to protect National Security (translation: Stifle protest and criticism, etc.) or some other bs excuse.

Invasion of privacy technologies such as this are always expanded, never contracted.

For retinal scanning, I've read that wearing sunglasses defeats it.

For facial scanning, wouldn't that do the same thing?

The best policy though is to boycott - and let it be known whereever possible that one is doing so.

On 3/16/2018 at 5:10 AM, coulson said:

If you're worried about your privacy, better stop going out in public and throw away your smartphone because privacy has been increasingly invaded for a very long time already.

Yes, a cell phone is not primarily a phone, it is primarily a tracking device.

There is definitely a loss of privacy due to technology, but with minimal effort much of that can be countered.

E.g. - https://privacytools.io

On 16/03/2018 at 2:18 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I shall be purchasing some of those face masks that Thais wear and using them in 7 11.

It's not as though they'll be forcing people to submit to be scanned. Tell me if I'm wrong.

No. It's a fantastic idea. Red Bull Boy mask is currently the #1 seller for men, and this is closely followed by Former Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra for that special lady in your life.
Guaranteed immunity or you will receive a no holds barred visa to live in the UK!

I dont get all the outrage, "never shopping there again" etc. Stores and businesses have been doing this for years, and you usually hand over the information of your own free will. Loyalty/discount card, entering a competition, paying a bill, using the free wi-fi etc etc. 7/11 has been videoing you for years and have 100s of ways of identifying you already.

There is a famous story, going back a few years, were Walmart worked out a 15 year old girl customer was pregnant (stopped buying condoms, tampons and started buying bigger clothes etc) and started sending her the "baby" catalogue. The girls father was outraged that baby stuff was being sent to his teenage daughter and sued walmart for encouraging his daughter to have sex/get pregnant.

The father found out a month later, after walmart had already worked it out.

My understanding from the article is you’ll be recognized as you enter as customer 34567. You’re not recognized as John q Smith as you walk in. Or am I wrong about that?

For me, the problem isn’t with a corporation using this type of data for profit. The problems come when govt entities want certain data and compel them to turn it over.

On 16/03/2018 at 5:32 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

I don't like it either. If they try to do it, they'll lose a loyal customer. What are the benefits for me, the customer?

Easy. You'll be sold new products you never knew you needed.

Archived