Deadly outbreak: Hua Hin declared "Red Zone" as man's death confirmed as rabies

rooster59

Deadly outbreak: Hua Hin declared "Red Zone" as man's death confirmed as rabies

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GRknHhKElycZdXIzNV.jpg

Image: Thai Rath

Tourist haven Hua Hin has been declared a red zone for rabies meaning people are at risk from contracting the deadly disease.

Dr Surin Seubseung of the Prajuab Khiri Khan department of public health confirmed that a 61 year old man bitten two months ago by a cat had died as a result of the disease on Wednesday.

Hair, sputum, fecal and spinal fluid samples confirmed the worst.

All those who had contact with the family where the cat was kept are being contacted. The pet died after biting the victim who did not seek treatment until symptoms had taken hold and death was inevitable.

He died at Hua Hin Hospital, reported Thai Rath. 

Dr Surin urged anyone bitten by an animal such as a cat or dog to go for vaccinations at a public health facility immediately. Even a lick from an infected animal could be enough he cautioned. 

The last case of rabies in Hua Hin was in 2004 but there have been several cases throughout Thailand this year as more than 50 provinces have been declared rabies zones.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-17

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

bitten two months ago by a cat

Never take a risk.

When bitten by dog or cat rush to the hospital.

Within a couple of hours a post exposure treatment can safe you.

A topic for the health forum.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Even a lick from an infected animal could be enough he cautioned

Not sure about that, I thought rabies can only be transmitted through biting or scratching. Perhaps if you had an open wound that was licked it’s possible otherwise not likely.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Never take a risk.

Not just cats and dogs. There's other critters that can transmit rabies. Feral animals anywhere are prone to carry such diseases. Best advice is to visit a health professional, if bitten by anything in a foreign country.

I was recently 'nipped ' by a soi dog. Not a big deal for me. Just a course of 4 injections over a one  month duration. The owner got a dose of 'som nam na'. I paid for my medication.

Jerry

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Never take a risk.

Yes and no. Yes never take the risk and no you don't have to rush. First thing is to thoroughly was the wound site with soap and running water. I would suggest some anti bacterial stuff like Betadine because dog bites more than not will result in an infection. Then you should go to the hospital asap.  24hrs is ok, 10 days is probably pushing it. It's urgent but not an emergency. Better safe than sorry so if you're bitten at night you can go to the hospital the next day. You don't have to rush there. If you can get hold of the animal all the better as it can be tested but good luck on that one.

1 hour ago, Carib said:

What is the difference between the 4 shots  `Jerry Cornelius` mentions and the 15 shots `yrag` had?

Is a different vaccine used?  Other method? Ayone? 

Possibly one of them has actually been bitten and received treatment and the other misheard a bar stool myth. 

My MIL had three injections and I know one person who received 2. I don't know why the treatment varied but in both cases a couple of hundred baht and not the thousands some people claim to have paid. 

3 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

My MIL had three injections and I know one person who received 2. I don't know why the treatment varied but in both cases a couple of hundred baht and not the thousands some people claim to have paid. 

When taking the full treatment at a private hospital, the total cost can definitely into the thousands of baht. Last treatment I had at Bangkok Hospital (Hatyai) was over 10.000 baht. This was at the emergency room and included cleaning the wound and a number of injections (most directly into the wound, rather painful experience).

1 hour ago, Carib said:

What is the difference between the 4 shots  `Jerry Cornelius` mentions and the 15 shots `yrag` had?

i had 4 injections on my first visit. 1 in each shoulder and 1 in each forearm. Cost at a govt hospital around B2,000. Was told cost varies on body weight.

I then had 3 follow up injections over the next few weeks.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:43 AM, Carib said:

Vaccination after an animal bite

If you’re bitten by an animal that could have rabies, you can get the rabies vaccine to keep you from developing the disease. A doctor can help decide if you need the vaccine.

If you haven’t been vaccinated for rabies before, you’ll need 4 doses of the vaccine. You’ll get the first dose right away, followed by additional doses:

• 3 days after the first dose
  • 1 week after the second dose
  • 2 weeks after the third dose

People who have a weakened immune system need another dose 4 weeks after the first dose.

You’ll also get a shot called Rabies Immune Globulin with the first dose to help your body fight the virus faster.

If you’ve already had the rabies vaccine, you’ll need 2 doses after an animal bite — you’ll get the first dose right away, followed by a second dose 3 days after the first. You won’t need the Rabies Immune Globulin shot.

If you think you or someone in your family needs the rabies vaccine, talk with a doctor.

Similar treatment to mine. Caveat; that if I missed a dose, I would need to start the course again from the beginning (may only have been said as an encouragement to complete the course).

Completing the course gives 2 years protection. Cost: 3,400 THB. Most likely a lot cheaper at government hospital.

Jerry

The hefty irony is that on the other side as per the latest article published in the Hua Hin forum, animal group rights are urging farangs to advocate against erradication of soi dogs who are well known vectors of the rabies plague...

Time to wake up and put public sanitary issues before all the rest please....

I heard the normally busy night markets in Takiab were almost completely empty early Friday night.

It was early at about 6:30 Friday evening when I heard this.

I suspect people are staying away from Hua Hin due to this. Then again it's been a bit quiet for the last couple of weeks anyway.

I just read about rabies. What a crazy and dangerouse virus to be messing around with.

This guy who died is a sad story.

Thailand really needs to do something about the dogs.

The symptoms are so vague. And once you get a symptom youre dead anyways.

Bats carry rabies . Bats can bite you in youre sleep and you wont know it.

A infected cat or dog can lick you and if its a cut youre dead. Takes a few months but youre dead.

A dog can vomit on the street or on the grass and you could walk through it and contact rabies.

Thailand is so dirty and filthy right now from all the high season people here and my thinking is this place is a disaster. More people are going to die.

you have more chance of dying from a toffee sweet than rabies

12 people die out of 70 million of rabies

people die all the time its life

27,000 people die from road accidents out of 70 million

lets just put life in Thailand into perspective 

anyone who abuses animals or kills animals should have the same done to them

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Hobiecat said:

I was chased by a mouth frothing dog on my mountain Bike in the Tab Thai area of Hua Hin two weeks ago. Rabid dogs are most certainly out there.

I thought most of the frothy mouthed dogs in Thailand, resided in government house!!

Archived