Lending money to anyone in Thailand is a bad idea

ghworker2010

5 minutes ago, Thian said:

There loads of thai or farang who made a fortune by fayboo...loads of thai shops ONLY have fayboo..

Who is he to tell another what's right or wrong?

Lending to a thai is not a smart thing to do, for newbies it's a good warning that he gave.

I have a Facebook account ready to use if I need to check out businesses. That's a given, but you don't need to spend all day long posting personal bs on it... which is what most do despite your claims that many are becoming rich on it. 

• Like 1

There’s 1 person I trust in this world with my money and that’s my dear old mum. We’ve had a great relationship with money all our lives and I trust her with all my passwords, account numbers and power of attorney. 

In saying that I recently lent a mate in Thailand over 70K but he has a fantastic track record of paying back borrowed funds. I have total faith. 

I recently received $10Kaud back from my brother of which I thought I’d never see, someone is smiling down on me 55

But that’s where the good stories stop. I’m still in the middle of a legal battle regarding $210Kaud I paid to a close friend I worked for as a deposit on a home he was building for me. But such is life. Take the good with the bad, money ain’t everything and never ‘lend’ more than you’re willing to lose. 

I lent my wife thousands of Baht, never got a single one back.

Joking aside. In January I didn't receive my pension from the pension insurance due to some stupid changes in their system. Happy I was when a friend did borrow me 20.000 Baht. Infact, only had to use 8.000 of it, but it doesn't feel good to have an empty wallet. Paid it back the same month.

This happens in the UK. Thai women form a group . Every one puts money in a kitty. One of the Thai wome get all the kitty. Then next week another  Thai lady gets the kitty. And so on till all have had there turn.Untill one does not pay in because there Buffalo is sick or there is some other non reason . Usual after they have had their  kitty. It has caused many problems usually their partner never knows. But on the other hand I have lent money to Some Thai women in the. Uk . But only to people we know. They have borrowed on a few occasions and always paid it back weekly. I would never lend in Thailand because it’s exceptable to laugh at the lender when they say sorry no have this week.

Many of us have already learn the hard way!  What is being said to you is very true!  The problem you haven't learned yet!  The amount is small not worth the time of the day! The problem is your wife needs to stop lending money out showing off as if she is a bank. Here is the truth!  When a Thai women hooks up with a Farang after a while she becomes popular for one reason. She is now looked as a extension of how they look at you a ATM, pure and simple! They ask for a loan your wife is naive enough to loan it without any means of collecting!  Tell her to stop end of story! Thai people like your wife don't have any friends once they are with you they are so call friends because she is being used! 

3 hours ago, Thian said:

80-90% of thailand is on fayboo...

And i don't see your need for your reaction. Just let him post what he likes...

90% of Thailand is NOT on Facebook, many people in Thailand do not even have a smart phone! This is what he wrote  about Facebook:

I recently sent a message to this cousin on fbook (without consent from my wife) stating that she is never to ask my wife for money in the future again.

That was about his WIFE’s cousin! Without HER consent!! 

He must be just like YOU! A farang in Thailand who has too much time on his hand so  no life, hobby’s , everyday exercise and foreign friends so he keeps meddling in his wife’s family when it’s absolutely NONE of his business. He is a busy body who probably spends too much time on Facebook perhaps just like YOU! Who obviously did not read the OP’s post clearly enough hence your stupid post. 

2 hours ago, maximillian said:

Joking aside. In January I didn't receive my pension from the pension insurance due to some stupid changes in their system. Happy I was when a friend did borrow me 20.000 Baht. Infact, only had to use 8.000 of it, but it doesn't feel good to have an empty wallet. Paid it back the same month.

Sounds like you are living paycheck to paycheck. If you just told your wife “no” you say you would have thousands and thousands of baht ( because you would not have lent ( lol ) given them to her.  I’d say it’s a good time you sit her down and explain if the next check doesn’t come in time or something else  worse happens you are up shits creek and see what she thinks. Also someone does not “borrow you money” they “lend” you money.  It would be sad to have to open a go fund me page which in reality your wife just has to stop  asking you for more baht. 

38 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

90% of Thailand is NOT on Facebook, many people in Thailand do not even have a smart phone! This is what he wrote  about Facebook:

I recently sent a message to this cousin on fbook (without consent from my wife) stating that she is never to ask my wife for money in the future again.

That was about his WIFE’s cousin! Without HER consent!! 

He must be just like YOU! A farang in Thailand who has too much time on his hand so  no life, hobby’s , everyday exercise and foreign friends so he keeps meddling in his wife’s family when it’s absolutely NONE of his business. He is a busy body who probably spends too much time on Facebook perhaps just like YOU! Who obviously did not read the OP’s post clearly enough hence your stupid post. 

haha, you've never been to bkk i reckon....they ALL have a smartphone here....and not just a simple cheap one...

1 minute ago, Thian said:

haha, you've never been to bkk i reckon....they ALL have a smartphone here....and not just a simple cheap one...

I have lived in BKK for nearly 20 years and Bangkok is NOT Thailand lol! 

Many posters as the OP I’m sure live in Isarn where everybody is constantly asking for money from one another and very many do not have a smart phone hence no Facebook. I have a new I phone and have never had Facebook I’m not very old at all ( in Thai visa standard) and I feel I miss nothing and my life is enriched without it.  

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

Many posters as the OP I’m sure live in Isarn where everybody is constantly asking for money from one another and very many do not have a smart phone hence no Facebook. I have a new I phone and have never had Facebook I’m not very old at all ( in Thai visa standard) and I feel I miss nothing and my life is enriched without it.  

Then you lived in BKK more than 5 years ago i guess...now they ALL have smartphones. 

I don't understand how a farang can live in Isan after BKK but hey that's not my business or problem.

I also don't have fayboo and don't care at all for it...only use my phone for calling and for the rest i use a real computer.

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Sounds like you are living paycheck to paycheck. If you just told your wife “no” you say you would have thousands and thousands of baht ( because you would not have lent ( lol ) given them to her.  I’d say it’s a good time you sit her down and explain if the next check doesn’t come in time or something else  worse happens you are up shits creek and see what she thinks. Also someone does not “borrow you money” they “lend” you money.  It would be sad to have to open a go fund me page which in reality your wife just has to stop  asking you for more baht. 

Thank you so much, Alex8912, for your sound advise. But please read again:

The first sentense was meant as a joke. Okey ?

Normally I'm not living from paycheck to paycheck. (Nothing wrong with that as some have no choice. Good for you if you are better off. Congratulations !)

But sometimes threre are many expenses within a short time. Hospital bill, moving, buying new furniture, curtains, refrigerator, washing mashine, paying a deposit for the new house etc.pp.

Oh, and thanks again for explaining the difference between borrow and lend to a non-native-English speaker. Thank you so much, Papa Alex. (Wai)

On 3/17/2018 at 9:03 PM, InMyShadow said:

Anyone lived here more than 5 mins already knows this. Also anyone living here more than 5 mins knows not to stick their beak into other peoples business.

Dumb idea OP to get yourself and your mrs involved

Live here slightly more than 5 minutes and have loaned money to many people. Learning the language is a must, to know exactly what's going on. Also, don't marry into a peasant family that think all farang are idiots. 

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

You are well off the pace. 2% of Facebook users are from Thailand. 46 million users from Thailand.  A massive %. Smartphone use is much more I'm guessing. Area where most users log in from in Thailand? Bangkok. Facebook I give a miss too but i'm not so ignorant to believe I'm in a majority on that preference.

37 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

You are well off the pace. 2% of Facebook users are from Thailand. 46 million users from Thailand.  A massive %. Smartphone use is much more I'm guessing. Area where most users log in from in Thailand? Bangkok. Facebook I give a miss too but i'm not so ignorant to believe I'm in a majority on that preference.

You are massively off pace:

This statistic shows the number of Facebook users in Thailand from 2015 to 2022. In 2019, the number of Facebook users in Thailand is expected to reach 23.02 million, up from 20.62million in 2017. As of the second quarter of 2017, the social network was accessed by close to 2 billion users on a monthly basis.

and just so you know 2% of 2 billion is 40 million and as you can see above Thailand has about 20 million users and a population of nearly 70 million so most people in Thailand are not on Facebook about 71% are NOT.  

Edited by alex8912

I am part of a large family, my wife is part of a large family, my family were not rich, the family of my wife are not rich, it is not unusual in such families to help each other out, no profiteering, just being there for each other.

My wife handles the finances but always consults with me, my answer is usually the same. If family need help and we can assist then it is up to my wife if the answer is yes or no. I would expect exactly the same consideration if the situation was reversed and know this would be the case. Works for me :smile:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

You are massively off pace:

This statistic shows the number of Facebook users in Thailand from 2015 to 2022. In 2019, the number of Facebook users in Thailand is expected to reach 23.02 million, up from 20.62million in 2017. As of the second quarter of 2017, the social network was accessed by close to 2 billion users on a monthly basis.

and just so you know 2% of 2 billion is 40 million and as you can see above Thailand has about 20 million users and a population of nearly 70 million so most people in Thailand are not on Facebook about 71% are NOT.  

Hence why I quoted 40+ you found 1 stat and ran with it.  I found a multitude of info and quoted it. Time to retire you page 1 only, reader. 

15 hours ago, tropo said:

Why should they have - you marry their daughter, you're family and you don't lend money to family - you give it. 

Who would lend money to a friend and ask for 10% per month interest? (1200% per annum!) You don't use friends like that.  

The bottom line is - if they are really friends and doing it tough, you shouldn't be concerned if they pay you back or not. That's the true meaning of friendship. If they offer it back you refuse to take it.

I believe the number should be 120% not 1200!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

The only time I recall lending money was 500 baht. A girl my Mrs knew from school was living near us and came to the house crying and needing a loan.  I was buzzing as I knew we would not get it back and we would never be asked again. My Mrs brother called us early morning last week to borrow 35000 baht for a car he found on Facebook.  "Will pay back in one month when sell all cassava" guys been banging on about a car for well over a year now I honestly believe if he ever gets one he will be a danger to himself and all road users. 

We had exactly the same with my BIL, wanting 40k, I told Mrs tofer no, because if he can't afford to buy it he can't afford to run it. Now my wife's cousin keeps giving him her cast off cars.

Felt a bit of a heal later when every time we visited for a few days he would give me the keys and tell us to use it as we like. We of course got it serviced for him and made necessary repairs, filled the tank etc.

54 minutes ago, soistalker said:

What does she look like?

Late 50s, a bit overweight...no, make that fat (68 kg), opinionated (but she doesn't talk when she sleeps). I've seen a photo of her taken some 30 years ago, and she WAS a looker!

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

OP,  the police wont do anything, so going to them to let the person lose face wont work....anyone living in Thailand should know this!

except if all the work colleagues and students see the police and we start telling them whats going on. 

In my seven years here, I certainly have had mixed experiences with lending/borrowing a bit of coin to both Thais and foreigners.  With foreigners, especially one's who hail from the same country as me, I find lending and borrowing to be pretty straightforward.  The amount and repayment date will be set prior.  It usually works out.  In fact, I can't think of when it hasn't.  

With Thais, there's always a bit of bullshit involved, but I return the favor of bullshit back to them, too.  If one of my Thai wife's friends needs a bit of money, say 2K baht.  I initially balk because I know we'll be struggling at the end of the month.  There's a 50/50 chance it'll be paid back on time.  When it is, I am grateful.  When it's not, my wife gets the full weight of how  irresponsible  and full of shit Thais are.  In the past, I've made things increasingly difficult at the end of the month in hopes that some kind of 'lesson' would be learned.  See what happens when someone borrows and doesn't pay us back?  Now we have no (insert food item). Now I can't pay (insert company).  It would be easy to just get a cash advance from my Kasikorn card, but why set a precedent?   Sometimes I get the money back after several weeks of asking.  And I do ask. I make it known I want it back, even if it's a balance of 500 baht on an initial 2000: I want it back.  

Then there are times the vicious circle of lending to one friend precipitates borrowing from another.  That's where it gets tricky.  I've got to hand it to the Thai for stepping up, but then there's that moment when I owe someone, and I still haven't been paid back by the other party.  What to do?  Do I screw over the helpful Thai as I've been screwed over by the unhelpful one?  Well, of course, I do!  

Edited by falangjim
profanity

50 minutes ago, falangjim said:

In my seven years here, I certainly have had mixed experiences with lending/borrowing a bit of coin to both Thais and foreigners.  With foreigners, especially one's who hail from the same country as me, I find lending and borrowing to be pretty straightforward.  The amount and repayment date will be set prior.  It usually works out.  In fact, I can't think of when it hasn't.  

With Thais, there's always a bit of bullshit involved, but I return the favor of bullshit back to them, too.  If one of my Thai wife's friends needs a bit of money, say 2K baht.  I initially balk because I know we'll be struggling at the end of the month.  There's a 50/50 chance it'll be paid back on time.  When it is, I am grateful.  When it's not, my wife gets the full weight of how  irresponsible  and full of shit Thais are.  In the past, I've made things increasingly difficult at the end of the month in hopes that some kind of 'lesson' would be learned.  See what happens when someone borrows and doesn't pay us back?  Now we have no (insert food item). Now I can't pay (insert company).  It would be easy to just get a cash advance from my Kasikorn card, but why set a precedent?   Sometimes I get the money back after several weeks of asking.  And I do ask. I make it known I want it back, even if it's a balance of 500 baht on an initial 2000: I want it back.  

Then there are times the vicious circle of lending to one friend precipitates borrowing from another.  That's where it gets tricky.  I've got to hand it to the Thai for stepping up, but then there's that moment when I owe someone, and I still haven't been paid back by the other party.  What to do?  Do I screw over the helpful Thai as I've been screwed over by the unhelpful one?  Well, of course, I do!  

It really surprises me that there are foreigners in Thailand who live from hand to mouth. Don't you think it makes sense to have some savings?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, tropo said:

Is he still your mate? I'm still waiting for $20,000 from a mate from 1989. We stayed friends though as it was really just a misguided business arrangement.

Similar except it was a bad business arrangement as he was hopeless as a business owner.

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It really surprises me that there are foreigners in Thailand who live from hand to mouth. Don't you think it makes sense to have some savings?

Why would it surprise you that a married man with two kids of his own, two from his wife's previous relationship, and the burden of Thai culture of kicking up a bit to the countryside, would live from hand-to-mouth every now and then?  I do have savings, investments, a house, and a mortgage on a condo.  I just don't use my savings to help my wife's friends. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, juice777 said:

Why don't you send him a text message asking for it back once he replies he has amited borrowing it and maybe you can take him to court. Just a ideal I know a verbal agreement is binding in some situations.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

He openly admits he owes the money but never has it to pay back.