Dog shelter to be built in Tak to contain rabies

rooster59

Dog shelter to be built in Tak to contain rabies

By The Nation

The Tak provincial administration will build a shelter for stray dogs in Mae Sot district as a measure to contain rabies, a senior official said.

Suchart Boonmak, Mae Sot’s chief livestock officer, said the district had done a survey and found that there are about 1,000 stray dogs in the district.

The provincial administration will spend Bt5 million to build the shelter at the Mae Sot prison, where officers will care for the dogs.

Suchart was speaking to reporters after a meeting on the rabies situation in the district chaired by Mae Sot assistant district chief Thiranan Chaima. Mae Sot has been declared a rabies control zone after a stray dog that was hit and killed on a road was found to be rabid.

A rabies control zone has also been announced for Tak’s Propphra district after a four-year-old boy, who was bitten by a dog on the Myanmar side of the border, was admitted to the Propphra Hospital and died of rabies after just a day.

Suchart said Myanmar officials had sent the dog’s head to the Tak Livestock Office for rabies tests.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30341154

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-18

Thats 5,000 baht per dog.

If i were poor i would learn how to bark because the government spends more on a stray dog than on the poor person.

Hope they also figured out that you can build a shelter, but the dogs also need food and care (of which neither is free).

Edit: my largest dog eats for about 4,000 baht of food a month, but i suppose these dogs will get rice with fish bones.

Edited by Bob12345
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When will people understand they need a massive fixing campain to reduce the problem . The gov. needs to take action and not depend on the people to show up and have their animals fixed. I myself have had at least 40 dogs  fixed and releasded them back to the temple in my area. The gov. has been very helpful in giving free rabies vaccines to anyone that wants them. Hopely things will get better.

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Could make a good zombie / disease outbreak film form this idea.  Rabid dogs bit the staff.. staff bite the prisoners.. they all get out and start attacking the village outside. 

Pretty much the story line of 28 Thais Later !

Edited by RichardColeman

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Buddhism and Buddhist philosophy 

No.

That is not the reason.

If that were true there would be no street dogs as Buddhists with their philosophy would have taken then into their onw homes and cared for them properly.

There would be no one in the prisons, no one would be eating meat or farming animals, there would be no crime or poverty, people would help each other.

The reason is no one will take responsibility.  Too lazy to do anything, just sit back and use the religious argument to get out of doing any work or spending any money.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

The reason is no one will take responsibility.  Too lazy to do anything, just sit back and use the religious argument to get out of doing any work or spending any money.

Oh this old chestnut about the locals and their country.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Oh this old chestnut about the locals and their country.

No.  Where have I said anything about the country or the locals? 

I am taking about people (including you)  who use the 'old chestnut' Buddhist philosophy, as an excuse to do nothing to help the suffering dogs, when in fact it is one of the core Buddhist beliefs to reduce suffering!!!

On 19/03/2018 at 1:04 PM, jak2002003 said:

No.

That is not the reason.

If that were true there would be no street dogs as Buddhists with their philosophy would have taken then into their onw homes and cared for them properly.

There would be no one in the prisons, no one would be eating meat or farming animals, there would be no crime or poverty, people would help each other.

A great post. The worst thing about this topic is the people who come out seeming to relish the idea of killing dogs , very sadistic. Then the so-called "animal lovers" who would apparently have their only child die of rabies by a soi dog bite then do anything.

In developed countries, truthfully,  there is a cull every day. Unadobtable pets in their hundreds , destroyed in a humane process. Unfortunately in Thailand we are desperately behind the curve.  Without the large scale cull that is desperately needed no matter how many animals are sterilized and vaccinated the next generation of feral pups will multiply. They will not be sterilized. Then the  population will explode again to be diseased  by Rabbis as the problem is predictably forgotten until the next crisis.

• Thanks 1