Overstay Airport or Immigration office?

Hi Thaivisa users

I have overstayed my tourist visa by 50 days, i know its stupid but its where i am.

I am aware i need to pay 20k to leave the country. How do i go about doing this? will they arrest me when i go to immigration or detain me until my flight is about to leave? Im unsure how to go about this,  should i just book my ticket out of the country and go to the airport and pay? I heard that is stupid as you might miss your flight. What happens if i go to immigraion office, and just ask to pay the fine? What will happen will they give me like 1-2 days to leave the country or what will happen?

Hope somone can help ease my mind.

Thank you.

/Frederik

Personally, I would suggest you just book a flight out, get to the airport well in advance, pay your overstay fine and depart poorer but wiser.   You would risk immediate incarceration if you turn yourself in at an immigration office.  Not a certainty, but likely.

You will probably have some time restriction on when you can re-enter the Kingdom again.

14 minutes ago, Carlsie said:

Okay thanks guys, seems like going to the airport is the best way, not going to take the chance with any thai officials thats for sure lol.

Thanks for your input!

There is, of course, the possibility that you could still encounter Thai officialdom on your way to the airport, in the form of police or military checkpoints. However, production of a confirmed flight booking out of Thailand later that day should oil the wheels if such a situation arose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

There is, of course, the possibility that you could still encounter Thai officialdom on your way to the airport, in the form of police or military checkpoints. However, production of a confirmed flight booking out of Thailand later that day should oil the wheels if such a situation arose.

In my 3 years here in Thailand, i have never ever tried a thai police or military ask to see my visa, i always just have a copy of my passport in my wallet. Maybe its different up here.

• Like 1

Go to the airport with a confirmed flight out a few hours later. This should not be a flight to Laos. You might not be allowed to board a Laos flight when you have overstayed in Thailand. If planning to return in the near future, expect a grilling from immigration on your return. Do not try to come back the next day on a visa exempt entry. That really upsets some in immigration, and they have the discretion to deny you entry. Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Go to the airport with a confirmed flight out a few hours later. This should not be a flight to Laos. You might not be allowed to board a Laos flight when you have overstayed in Thailand. If planning to return in the near future, expect a grilling from immigration on your return. Do not try to come back the next day on a visa exempt entry. That really upsets some in immigration, and they have the discretion to deny you entry. Good luck!

I should think that a ticket to your 'Home country' would be the best route out of Thailand after an overstay.......... In your 'home country it may be a good plan to go to a Thai Embassy and ask them to check your 'status' in their computer..... thereby learning what your re-entry into Thailand may encounter........... Personally, I think that once you have paid the fine and left, they won't black list you as if they caught you 'here' and on 'overstay' without you 'leaving on your own........... Good Luck........

We all may make mistakes in our life, but owning up to it and taking your punishment is 'admirable' and often 'rewarded'

18 hours ago, Carlsie said:

In my 3 years here in Thailand, i have never ever tried a thai police or military ask to see my visa, i always just have a copy of my passport in my wallet. Maybe its different up here.

This is all fine and dandy until something goes wrong, there are a lot of variables that could result in officialdom asking to see your passport.

Given the fact that you are currently below the number of days overstay that will result in a ban if you go to an airport and give yourself up, then I'd suggest that you do this ASAP, everyday you risk getting caught.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

The Thai Embassy cannot by normal means check whether you are blacklisted. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Immigration Bureau databases are not linked. The best way to know if you have been blacklisted is to examine your passport. If immigration blacklist you, they put a stamp to this effect in your passport. There is no reason to suppose that a 50-60 day overstay will result in blacklisting.

I agree that a ticket back to home country could have advantages. I used to believe that showing a continued attachment to home was very influential with immigration. I am less sure of that now based on a couple of reports last year. Strictly speaking, going to a nearby country, getting a visa, and returning ought to be OK if prepared with good answers to immigration's questions, having the 20,000 baht cash equivalent, and having printouts demonstrating your ability to support yourself in Thailand without illegal working.

Surprising you say the two databases are not linked.  There was an announcement on this very forum some time ago that this would be happening soon and may have already occurred for all I know. 

No doubt there will be some people surprised when they find out the data is available at all Thai borders and Thai embassies worldwide. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Surprising you say the two databases are not linked.  There was an announcement on this very forum some time ago that this would be happening soon and may have already occurred for all I know. 

I don't recall such an announcement.

I think you might be thinking of a article in the news stating immigration is going to improve their database to include fingerprinting and etc within 6 months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't recall such an announcement.

I think you might be thinking of a article in the news stating immigration is going to improve their database to include fingerprinting and etc within 6 months.

Possibly but we would all be naieve to think that this info won't be getting shared in the near future . Only a matter of time. 

• Confused 3

53 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Possibly but we would all be naieve to think that this info won't be getting shared in the near future . Only a matter of time. 

In my experience, ministries in Thailand are not too different from those in other countries when it comes to turf wars. There tends to be a very protective attitude towards the data they collect, and allowing outsiders to access it. Cooperation between ministries can be enforced from the top, but (even in Western countries) is difficult to achieve. In Thailand, the Prime Minister could order it, but such an order would be quietly obstructed. Only if the Prime Minister was willing to, not only order it, but actively manage such cooperation personally, would it happen, and I do not think that will occur.

On 18/03/2018 at 7:22 AM, Carlsie said:

Okay thanks guys, seems like going to the airport is the best way, not going to take the chance with any thai officials thats for sure lol.

Thanks for your input!

Definetly the best option is to buy a ticket and turn up at the aiport with a bit of spare time. In 2016 I had a 90 day overstay, turned up at airport, paid my 20,000 baht and had no problems. The staff were very polite, it only took a few minutes.

Edited by johnson36

• 2 months later...