FDA recalls faulty rabies vaccines partly blamed for epidemic

webfact

FDA recalls faulty rabies vaccines partly blamed for epidemic

By The Nation

0686cad152edc9364d68672f10371da5.jpeg

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recalled and destroyed substandard rabies vaccines, which have been partly blamed for the current spread of rabies, in late 2016.

FDA deputy secretary-general Dr Surachoke Tangwiwat admitted on Sunday that three batches of vaccines were found to be substandard. 

“These rabies vaccines were imported from Spain. As soon as we found that their potency was below standard, we recalled and destroyed them in late 2016,” he said. “We have already taken legal actions against importers.”

The problem was detected after the Institute of Biological Products at the Public Health Ministry’s Department of Medical Sciences checked the batches, and then the FDA confirmed the quality of the vaccines was below standard. 

However, Surachoke said all vaccines on the market currently were in line with proper standards. 

“We have constantly monitored product quality. If we find anything dangerous, we will immediately alert the public,” he said.

Surachoke also urged people to alert the FDA if they detected hazardous products by calling the 1556 hotline or via the Oryor Smart Application.

This year, more than 400 people were infected with rabies, resulting in several deaths.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30341183

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-19

26 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I like how they got the 'blame the foreigner' line in there pretty quickly. It's the first thing he said in the quote.

Yep, and it took just 3 paragraphs for the writer to indulge in farang bashing. THREE paragraphs!!!!! Shame on the writer.

(sarcasm alert)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

This year, more than 400 people were infected with rabies, resulting in several deaths.

First time I have seen these figures. Almost 100 a month so far?

Really?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, habanero said:

Why would it even matter? It is my understanding that the rabies vaccine is good for 3 years but normally need a booster annually. So a shot is given in 2016 whether or not potent, would not be of much value in 2018.

Also, other than livestock or family pets it still does not address the animals living on the streets.

Seems your understanding differs somewhat from the facts.

From WHO.

Routine booster vaccine doses after primary rabies vaccination are not required for the general public living in areas of risk.

From the net.

In a immuno-competent person, immunized by good quality modern anti-rabies vaccine, immunity lasts for more than 10 years. Still, if dog bites again, even after 3 months, it is advised to take booster doses (2 only) on day 0 and 3.

My worry is what quality vaccine did I get in 2014:unsure:

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Seems your understanding differs somewhat from the facts.

From WHO.

Routine booster vaccine doses after primary rabies vaccination are not required for the general public living in areas of risk.

From the net.

In a immuno-competent person, immunized by good quality modern anti-rabies vaccine, immunity lasts for more than 10 years. Still, if dog bites again, even after 3 months, it is advised to take booster doses (2 only) on day 0 and 3.

My worry is what quality vaccine did I get in 2014:unsure:

I believe you are quoting facts about human rabies vaccination. Normally given to humans in the animal welfare divisions such as Vets, animal shelters, etc. 

I am only talking about the vaccine for animals. Also, I am only getting my facts from the veterinarian for my two dogs.  Not saying all my facts are 100% correct. Only passing on what has been explained to me by the family Vet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, habanero said:

I believe you are quoting facts about human rabies vaccination. Normally given to humans in the animal welfare divisions such as Vets, animal shelters, etc. 

I am only talking about the vaccine for animals. Also, I am only getting my facts from the veterinarian for my two dogs.  Not saying all my facts are 100% correct. Only passing on what has been explained to me by the family Vet.

Sorry. Haven't had my 2nd:coffee1: As for people like vets they get pre-exposure vaccines. My post is about post- exposure vaccines for humans whereas the article I guess is about the animal vaccine. Time for that 2nd:coffee1:

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

As usual at the first sign of any public criticism, the Thais deflect the blame and say it's the Farangs' fault. Face saving b?llshit. They are the masters at deflection, deception, manipulation, narcissism.... they should grow a pair, and learn to accept responsibility.... Rant over, lol....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Was there no check before the purchase was made or was the commission sufficient to negate any such checks?

Exactly what I was thinking. It's the job of the Thai FDA to approve the use of the drugs before they can be sold in Thailand. Some think that those privileged people working at the Thai FDA often take back handers in order to get drugs and other products to market faster. Some also say the reason that the Thai FDA is dragging it's feet on agreeing to an ASEAN regulatory requirement is because they would then be missing out on the extra money they have been used to making on having their regulatory affairs requirements held in house. 

And bearing in mind a Regulatory Affairs Associate (usually Chula then Masters in the West) can expect to start on 100,000 baht a month then upwards plus benefits, i'd say they are pretty greedy taking back handers on top of that.

**If what some people say is true, i didn't say it! 555

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

However, Surachoke said all vaccines on the market currently were in line with proper standards. 

“We have constantly monitored product quality. If we find anything dangerous, we will immediately alert the public,” he said.

#1. How can anyone believe you this time, when obviously the prior vaccines imported and used here were NOT in line with proper standards?

#2. If you'll immediately alert the public, why are we only hearing NOW in spring 2018 about bad batches of the vaccine that were detected and destroyed in 2016?   That's immediately???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Vague article . Faulty rabies vaccines .... for who , humans or animals ? Did the vaccines cause animals or humans to developpe rabies or did the vaccine not work after they were bitten .

How does The Nation write an article like that without ever specifying whether they're talking about the human vaccine or the animal vaccine, and whether they're the same or different????

Shoddy work in the extreme.

• Like 2