Bangkok to Pattaya tourist promotion train hailed as success - but where are the foreign tourists?

webfact

Lose face by travelling in the company of people who don't own a car and leave your car at home where no-one can see it ????
Especially if your car has a red plate.!!!!!

Yes you do have a point there...should aim/advertise to those with motorcycles
and non red plates.

14 hours ago, balo said:

Ehhhh, maybe they should inform foreigners first that this new line exist ? I have not seen it mentioned in any English news , including BKK Post. Now that I know about it , I wonder if I could take this train from Pattaya one way ? Instead of the bus .

Uhh.  Wonder about what?  It is pretty self explanatory.

I don't need my mommy to wake me up, so I usually take the 620 am bus anyway. 

This is another option will give it a try.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Uhh.  Wonder about what?  It is pretty self explanatory.

I don't need my mommy to wake me up, so I usually take the 620 am bus anyway. 

This is another option will give it a try.

True it might be fine for you and you getting up early isn't a problem.

Think about a family, say a couple of young kids who have a few days in BKK and then have decided to go to the world class resort for another few days.

Get up at 4am get the kids awake fed and dressed. Get checked out at 5am and hope that the taxi/hotel car is there on time.

Get to the train station pre 6.30.

Pile on with luggage, two sleepy probably grumpy kids, nearly forgot, have drinks snacks bla bla bla for the kids.

Reach the outskirts of pattaya at 10am, if they are still married, Lug everything off the train, find a taxi that will actually use the meter and know where their hotel is bla bla bla etc.

I could go on.

Designed for backpackers who don't mind that they all smell the same. ???

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

am i surprised at the lack of tourists?? NO   what with the latest/ongoing  reports of   poor conditions of

filth on beaches/muggings/theft/traffic accidents/general ripoffs  etc etc

it is no wonder  that any sensible  quality tourists would  see this as a useful /convenient mode of transport  to what seems to be a hell hole   well yes we all know  what Pattaya is really  good for  

but i dont think this needs a dedicated  train service

It seems in many cases the Thai tourist industry thinks foreigners are just lining up to go to these places just because the business has offered to take their money. No need to provide any benefit to the tourist. 

1 hour ago, chama said:

It seems in many cases the Thai tourist industry thinks foreigners are just lining up to go to these places just because the business has offered to take their money. No need to provide any benefit to the tourist. 

Where did you see any intention to promote the train specifically to "foreigners?" We've so enjoyed setting up this straw man.

Pattaya is very much about domestic tourism these days as well, though TAT: TVF refuses to concede the fact 'cause it messes up the narrative.

Meanwhile the train was fully booked and is until the end of the month. So far, so good.

Foreigners seem to manage to find their way to Pattaya without needing the train. I doubt SRT and TAT really think they'd be much interested in this service as configured. Bullet train, yes. :smile: But it's there for all tourists and even non-tourists--I mean, it hits a lot of non-tourist stops along the way, too. And it's only for 6 months--during the upcoming hot and rainy seasons, not peak times for foreign tourists at all.

Re: benefit, those who bought tickets expected the benefit of being transported to Pattaya on the train for B170. Did they not receive that benefit? Looks like they did according to the OP.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

The current schedule is a trial to assess interest; which seems fair enough. If warranted there are options to add extra carriages and/or add in more journeys (presumably including for those who like a lie-in). Also, Indians will be allowed to sit on the roof.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, johng said:

Domestic Thai Tourists ?
the foreigners probably have no idea the service even exists.

Isn't there a regular service for 1/3rd the price for Thais?

Amusing that a special tourist train devoid of tourists is deemed a roaring success.

The timings alone are a deterrent, in the face of 2 good highways to Pattaya and beyond in the future.

A good service that stopped more regularly (near my place) had frequency and ran somewhat faster is what is needed. And some efficient feeder mechanism into central Pattaya rather than the taxi mafia!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, balo said:

Ehhhh, maybe they should inform foreigners first that this new line exist ? I have not seen it mentioned in any English news , including BKK Post. Now that I know about it , I wonder if I could take this train from Pattaya one way ? Instead of the bus .

It was in the BKK Post on Sunday; on the front page.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And this. They are claiming that the train is already booked up for the rest of this month. Do you think it might then have occurred to them that that might mean they need to run more than one train a day? Nah. That's joined up thinking, also something the Thais don't do.

Do you think it might occur to you that

Nah. That's unbiased thinking, something farangs don't do. We need that bigotry to feel superior. Hee hee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Different times and not air-conditioned. And this train is a bit faster. Can Thais pay more for aircon, or are we invoking the Only Farangs Have Money rule of TVF Poster Economics?

Amusing that a special tourist train devoid of tourists is deemed a roaring success.

How do you know the train was devoid of tourists?

A good service that stopped more regularly (near my place) had frequency and ran somewhat faster is what is needed.

How about a limo that arrives at your place whenever you like (within 5 min of ordering) and a special VIP convoy to stop traffic as it speeds you to Pattaya or BKK, arrival in 30 min.?

And some efficient feeder mechanism into central Pattaya rather than the taxi mafia!

Actually a shuttle bus is planned. OH NO. Narrative all messed up.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

It's just an excuse for delivering lambs to the slaughter at the hands of Pattaya's illegal; extortionate; infamous; police-condoned; meterless taximeters.

Then why is a shuttle bus planned? Sorry--ruined your day I know.

Edited by JSixpack

2 hours ago, mok199 said:

thailands famous''build it and they will come '' philosophy...

Merely TVF Barstool Economists' famous ignorance, in this case of "trial marketing." Good thing most have no money to invest and lose in the real world. Pensions are wonderful.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

am i surprised at the lack of tourists?? NO   what with the latest/ongoing  reports of   poor conditions of

filth on beaches/muggings/theft/traffic accidents/general ripoffs  etc etc

it is no wonder  that any sensible  quality tourists would  see this as a useful /convenient mode of transport  to what seems to be a hell hole   well yes we all know  what Pattaya is really  good for  

but i dont think this needs a dedicated  train service

It is due to lack of putting out the information and has nothing to do with your hate filled post.

True that. Pattaya has it's share of problems, but once you get out of the tourist zone, you realize Pattaya is a very large city, and offers a fair degree of services, great golf, and other activities, besides what the place is known for. And the beaches south of town are far better, than in town. 

Having said that, they do need to make it convenient. If not, it will not be used by foreigners. There is no doubt public transportation options need to be continually expanded, so perhaps a good move in that direction. But, make it easy for us to use. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mok199 said:

dude if you go to any mall in pattaya you will see buisnesses closed and boarded up...

Hot air. I don't think you know of any buisnesses :biggrin: "boarded up" in Central. Where exactly? And you'd need to see 37 of them before it means anything serious. Besides, in any mall tenants come and go all the time. Mall I grew up near, one of the wealthiest in the USA (still doing great), has none of the original tenants left and at any time some spaces could be vacant or undergoing change. Duh.

As perspective you might view this list of closed and replaced businesses in Las Vegas:

http://www.vegas4visitors.com/closed.htm

Going DOWNHILL! :cheesy: So why would you think an expectation of "they will come"--but at some point didn't--is just a Thai thing?

It's only on TVF that a change of tenants portends delicious DOOM, probably because No Change is one of the rules of TVF Poster Economics, and our economists love comforting themselves and pleasing the peanut gallery with portentous pronouncements from the barstool that "confirm" Thai incompetence and stupidity.

But your point is irrelevant and inapplicable anyway. SRT announced the service as a mere "trial," with no necessary expectation that "they will come," and a trial marketing of the service (to the target market, Thais mainly) represents perfectly good business sense--in the real world.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Just now, spidermike007 said:

True that. Pattaya has it's share of problems, but once you get out of the tourist zone, you realize Pattaya is a very large city, and offers a fair degree of services, great golf, and other activities, besides what the place is known for. And the beaches south of town are far better, than in town. 

Having said that, they do need to make it convenient. If not, it will not be used by foreigners. There is no doubt public transportation options need to be continually expanded, so perhaps a good move in that direction. But, make it easy for us to use. 

I and many want pattaya to succeed( this is my families home)..and we at ground zero know the weaknesses and strengths of this once fun beach city....

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Evidence suggests that SRT doesn't segregate Thais into the cheap non-aircon cars and reserve the aircon for farangs, who'd never travel 2nd class of course. Guess some here think that's how it should work, but no. Farangs can ride in the cheap cars as well. For example:

I seem to recall Thais traveling in first-class carriages on trains elsewhere in Thailand, like from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Maybe just my imagination . . . .:smile:

Edited by JSixpack

Based on recent discussions on TVF of late regarding the cost of trivial items, there are farangs who would travel sixth class if there was a savings involved. As said on another thread recently, I'm now regularly seeing farangs hitchhiking on that well worn tourist run between Chiang Mai and Pai, they come to Thailand but can't afford the bus fare at least!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Different times and not air-conditioned. And this train is a bit faster. Can Thais pay more for aircon, or are we invoking the Only Farangs Have Money rule of TVF Poster Economics?

How do you know the train was devoid of tourists?

How about a limo that arrives at your place whenever you like (within 5 min of ordering) and a special VIP convoy to stop traffic as it speeds you to Pattaya or BKK, arrival in 30 min.?

Actually a shuttle bus is planned. OH NO. Narrative all messed up.

Then why is a shuttle bus planned? Sorry--ruined your day I know.

There's been plans for a new sewage treatment plant for years; plans to curb police corruption; plans for elections; plans to make Pattaya a world-class family resort; and so on .....

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 1:30 PM, johng said:

There's plenty of Thai Tourists that descend from BKK every weekend...clogging up the roads
The train should run every couple of hours say from 6am -7pm each way every day...then it would start to be a viable alternative to mini bus or bringing their cars.

it is only a single line.....!!! Is it NOT