A senior public health official says dog’s tax is just an idea

snoop1130

A senior public health official says dog’s tax is just an idea

CB65478E-B3CC-4573-A980-DF83F18B65B4.jpeg

Public health permanent secretary Dr Jedsada Chokdamrongsuk clarified today (Monday) that the Public Health Ministry has no authority to oversee pet dogs and cats and that his talk about imposing tax on the raising of dogs and cats was just an idea.

He said that there are now several agencies which are now responsible for rabies infection among dogs and cats and, in his opinion, different measures must be undertaken simultaneously to deal effectively with rabies.

Imposing some forms of tax on owner of a dog, said Dr Jedsada, was just an example that was put into practice in some countries, which requires a dog owner to register his/her dog with authorities concerned and tax is imposed for the third dog that he/she owns.

But there is no such law in Thailand, he said as he suggested dog or cat owners to have their pets vaccinated.

According to the Public Health Ministry, six people have died this year from rabies.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/senior-public-health-official-says-dogs-tax-just-idea/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-3-19

i think compulsory licensing and micro chipping of dogs and cats would be a better idea. also collar with owner details. then the strays would be easily identifiable. some round here it's hard to say if they are stray or owned. they could have a system in place through the licensing to make sure that the owners inform the licensing people that they have been vaccinated at certain dates. if they can make foreigners do 90 reports then can't be too hard to make sure owners/vets do regular vaccination reports

**As Dr Jedsada Chokdamrongsuk said, just an idea.

Edited by Happy enough
  • Like 1

Actually, this man must have a brain. Seiously, that´s rare, but tax on dogs is something that really would work. People would not get dogs and let them run around, and all that no have nametag and paid tax would be shot off.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

Think about how many dogs would be dumped and abandoned if a dog tax came in!  People would not want to pay it so would just throw away their dogs.

The responsible dog owners are not the problem here.. so why make they pay?  The problem is the street dogs and feral dogs.  Most of the street dogs don't belong to anybody.

Now I good idea would be to estimate the total number of street dogs in a village and make the head man pay a tax for each street dog.   There would soon be a lot fewer dogs about!

Just dump the dogs and shoot them off. The problem is then solved, due to that people that do not really want to take care of a dog, do not go and get something they need to pay for. Was that so hard to grasp?

5 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Just dump the dogs and shoot them off. The problem is then solved, due to that people that do not really want to take care of a dog, do not go and get something they need to pay for. Was that so hard to grasp?

Yes.  I could not understand what you wrote.  But now I do.  Thanks. 

So typical of the Thai government. Talk about something like it's a done deal and then back off.

As a dog owner I'd be ok paying an annual tax for my dogs, just like I did in the states. Why not microchip them and if they let the dog go the owner pays a penalty for doing it.

Of course you'd need a competent animal control department in Bangkok and no such thing exists.

The bottom line is to have shelters to take care of the dogs without homes. If Thailand is ever going to be a first world country we have to treat our animals better.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, punchjudy said:

I would love to see birth statistics for these mutts......it's quite obvious the problem is escalating out of control and what you need to do is go on a mass cull all across the country.

A mass cull is the only solution. There are villages locally where I can no longer safely cycle, last night I drove to a relatives house in the next village, over 20 loose dogs were amassed, running in the street. They do not have owners. I saw last week a Thai with a dog on a leash, first time I have seen this in 6 years living here. I almost took a photograph. Strangely enough, our village used to have a dog problem, but more recently ,it seems to have disappeared .Perhaps we have a dog vigilante, if so, I will buy him/her a beer.

16 hours ago, Get Real said:

Actually, this man must have a brain. Seiously, that´s rare, but tax on dogs is something that really would work. People would not get dogs and let them run around, and all that no have nametag and paid tax would be shot off.

In theory. Lots of good ideas area result in increased taxes. Implementing without any problems or corruption is the reality though. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Get Real said:

If he had a brain he might say dog permit, how can you tax a dog?

14 hours ago, NutsMango said:

Maybe take a look how every western country manage this issue instead of your idiotic ideas?

Yep, but that would require a committee, a fact finding delegation and a visit to numerous countries with a full team including "personal assistants and secretaries" :whistling:

Thailand - Hub of dumb ideas shouted out before engaging brain.

• Like 1

Mouth in gear again before the brain.

They just don't get it do they ?

No one is prepared to state the reality that there are 5 million dogs in Thailand that should not be.

Will someone in authority give the order to dispose of Soi dogs ,,,,, I think never

• Like 1

What good is a tax, if there will be no control, no enforcement and every Somchai buys as many dogs as he wishes and just lets them run around?

Did the morons who made these suggestions ever go to the animal section of Chatuchak?

All the cute puppies, with their bows and their little pullovers are soooooo na ruk...

And when they grow up, or get sick, or need attention and are not soooooo na ruk anymore...guess where they go?!

It is with all things in the LOS: you can make rules and laws as much and many as you want.

Following them, is the problem! 

The first thing to do is to ensure all dogs wear collars with some form of identification on them. Any collarless dogs can then be removed, found homes, sterilized, put down etc. which ever is deemed necessary. But them wardens will be needed to capture any not wearing collars. From then progress can be made.