There is no right or wrong

bwpage3

During my time here I've known a few Westerners who have left, and now a few who are making plans to leave - and I can understand their varying reasons.

The op is right insofar as there is no 'right or wrong' answer.  The 'right choice' depends on the individuals' needs, priorities and preferred 'lifestyle' - along with numerous other considerations!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

During my time here I've known a few Westerners who have left, and now a few who are making plans to leave - and I can understand their varying reasons.

The op is right insofar as there is no 'right or wrong' answer.  The 'right choice' depends on the individuals' needs, priorities and preferred 'lifestyle' - along with numerous other considerations!

Spot on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Justfine said:

Reads Scott's note on linguistics and deletes post, goes back and reads OP .......

OK so thread is about leaving Thailand.

Like the OP, I'm here now, but if I wasn't, I probably wouldn't come.

Still here because of all the 'family' I've acquired/invented, but looking around the world, Philippines and Latin America would probably be my first choice as places to start off. Easier VISA and better exchange rates.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

7 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Reads Scott's note on linguistics and deletes post, goes back and reads OP .......

Still here because of all the 'family' I've acquired/invented, but looking around the world, Philippines and Latin America would probably be my first choice as places to start off. Easier VISA and better exchange rates.

Nice to see you change your mind and agree with me.

21 hours ago, dotpoom said:

What amazes me is why anybody would post on the internet that they are returning home. I have to be blunt about it but "who cares". I wouldn't expect anybody to give a rat's ass as to what I do (excepting it affects them).

It always smacks of having a hugh ego if one thinks it matters to others what they do....let alone posting about it on the internet.

Just checked, 7 pages and counting of people of who have found this topic interesting enough to post.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, keithpa said:

Just checked, 7 pages and counting of people of who have found this topic interesting enough to post.

So true. They "don't care", "don't hate" yet still turn up in numbers to attack people leaving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keithpa said:
  23 hours ago, dotpoom said:

What amazes me is why anybody would post on the internet that they are returning home. I have to be blunt about it but "who cares". I wouldn't expect anybody to give a rat's ass as to what I do (excepting it affects them).

It always smacks of having a hugh ego if one thinks it matters to others what they do....let alone posting about it on the internet.

It's all about schadenfreude....that special German word about enjoying watching other people suffering. 

6 minutes ago, torrzent said:

It's all about schadenfreude....that special German word about enjoying watching other people suffering. 

Or maby because they cant afford to leave LOS. Some of us were successful in our working life and can afford to live anywhere.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, dotpoom said:

How do you think this opinion of yours is beneficial to the 7 billion population on Earth? Yet you post it anyway. You just answered your own qns because who cares that you are not going home?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, keithpa said:

Or maby because they cant afford to leave LOS. Some of us were successful in our working life and can afford to live anywhere.

Most of us were successful in our working lives, but some were unlucky in the divorce carve up at the end.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

On 20/03/2018 at 5:21 PM, Gecko123 said:

Thailand is not a third world country. It is a developing country. Hello? How many times has this been pointed out to you?

Ah, so it's developing into a third world country..........!!:sorry:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I knew it wouldn't take much for you to show your true colors.  You've been away from Thailand for awhile now.  Isn't it time to move on with your life?

Have moved on and enjoying life 1000%.

Good planning!

Edited by bwpage3
miss-posted

6 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Although I left Thailand after 10 years and returned to Florida, USA, I too am looking at possible options in Latin America for retirement, should I ever reach retirement!

There is no right or wrong, only what is best for each individual and their families

The world is changing fast, who knows from year to year what will be required or become of living in foreign countries?

Edited by bwpage3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

Although I left Thailand after 10 years and returned to Florida, USA, I too am looking at possible options in Latin America for retirement, should I ever reach retirement!

There is no right or wrong, only what is best for each individual and their families

The world is changing fast, who knows from year to year what will be required or become of living in foreign countries?

Latin America is a crime ridden craphole.  Will you be writing in to complain about there after you leave as well!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Latin America is a crime ridden craphole.  Will you be writing in to complain about there after you leave as well!

The Global Peace Index (GPI) gauges global peace using three broad themes: the level of societal SAFETY AND SECURITY, the extent of ongoing domestic and international conflict and the degree of militarization

2017 Global Peace Index

You must have your facts crossed. Thailand at 120 is much higher than at least 5 of these crime ridden crapholes you claim in your comment about Latin America.

120       Thailand

24        Chile

34       Costa Rica

35       Uraguay

66       Ecuador

68     Paraguay

Evidence that you would rather bash and personally attack posters than understand or research the facts. 

You should enjoy all of that personal paradise you live in and not worry so much whether or not I will be complaining in a few years. 

"Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed man"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

The Global Peace Index (GPI) gauges global peace using three broad themes: the level of societal SAFETY AND SECURITY, the extent of ongoing domestic and international conflict and the degree of militarization

2017 Global Peace Index

You must have your facts crossed. Thailand at 120 is much higher than at least 5 of these crime ridden crapholes you claim in your comment about Latin America.

120       Thailand

24        Chile

34       Costa Rica

35       Uraguay

66       Ecuador

68     Paraguay

Evidence that you would rather bash and personally attack posters than understand or research the facts. 

You should enjoy all of that personal paradise you live in and not worry so much whether or not I will be complaining in a few years. 

"Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed man"

Nice try with the fake news and personal attacks!  Let's stick with some real facts from a reputed source.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-violent-cities-in-the-world-2018-3

and I quote,

"In 2017, Latin America retained the ignominious distinction of having the most cities on Mexico's Citizens' Council for Public Security's annual ranking of the world's most violent cities.

Of the 50 cities on the list, 42 are in Latin America,...."

Of course, you are free to believe whatever you want, but you will get laughed out of the room if you try to suggest that Latin America is safe.   Even your cherry picked locations are extremely dangerous. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

I said there was Medicare, not that I am on it. I am not old enough for it

And no, you do not have to be low income, get your facts straight

I just had a McChicken Sandwich at Mcdonald's it cost $1.00

One more thing comparing living expenses.

Apples to apples.

You are going to pay even more for a western style house not crammed right up on your neighbors than you would in many states in the USA

If you want to compare living and impressing all the friends back home with a 1 room flat, you win that argument

Don't you ever see all these houses for sale on TV US $300,000 and UP compare those for size and quality with the US, cost more in Thailand

Sorry you are wrong!  Medicare is for over 65, again Medicaid is for low income!!!  I did medicare insurance for 10 years in the US, I do know what I'm talking about.  My wife and I built a nice house in her hometown for allot less than what we would pay to build a house in the USA.  If you get out of BKK and tourist areas costs of housing is low and construction costs in Thailand are much lower.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mgthom63 said:

Just to be clear, you said "Medicaid", not "Medicare" in post #1...and Medicaid IS designed for the under-65's who have zero or very low income....Medicare is available to all US citizens over the age of 65.

Thank you!! 

let me add if you are over 65 and on Medicare you can still be on medicaid if you fall within the income levels. So you could and many people are on Medicare and Medicaid.  There are different levels of medicaid covering different costs. 

For Medicare you need to qualify too, which most people do. You need to work and pay taxes for about 10 years to qualify for Part A. Part B everyone needs to pay for. 

9 hours ago, torrzent said:

Nice try with the fake news and personal attacks!  Let's stick with some real facts from a reputed source.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-violent-cities-in-the-world-2018-3

and I quote,

"In 2017, Latin America retained the ignominious distinction of having the most cities on Mexico's Citizens' Council for Public Security's annual ranking of the world's most violent cities.

Of the 50 cities on the list, 42 are in Latin America,...."

Of course, you are free to believe whatever you want, but you will get laughed out of the room if you try to suggest that Latin America is safe.   Even your cherry picked locations are extremely dangerous. 

No cherry picking here, maybe you do not know how to research?

Thailand at 120 which you fail to mention is behind at least 6 Latin American countries

Where exactly do you rank Thailand since you like to cherry pick and bash Latin America?

Rank Thailand or read below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index#/media/File:GPI_2017.jpg

Lets talk world ranking not Mexican Citizens Council...

Amazing you haven't even realized Thailand is not the safest place in the world

120 says it all, no disputing way behind 6 Latin American countries

Thailand not ranked as green safe on the 2017 Global Peace Index

So don't go off tangent and address the fact that Thailand is not any safer

You should learn more about the country you live in and not worry so much about Latin America

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

Sorry you are wrong!  Medicare is for over 65, again Medicaid is for low income!!!  I did medicare insurance for 10 years in the US, I do know what I'm talking about.  My wife and I built a nice house in her hometown for allot less than what we would pay to build a house in the USA.  If you get out of BKK and tourist areas costs of housing is low and construction costs in Thailand are much lower.  

1/4 bricks in structural buildings?

Not the same construction, not even close to the USA

What code do they build Thai houses to? The answer is none so of course it is going to be cheaper and you get what you pay for

Construction costs are lower because have no requirements for building inspectors, licensed engineers, electricians or anyone else

There is probably a good reason people in the first world go to trade schools, study their ass off to get State Licensing and Insurance in the construction field as well as plumbing, electrical and everything else

But if you can hire an Isaan winger for 200 baht a day and think you have a quality house ....

Good on you

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

Thank you!! 

let me add if you are over 65 and on Medicare you can still be on medicaid if you fall within the income levels. So you could and many people are on Medicare and Medicaid.  There are different levels of medicaid covering different costs. 

For Medicare you need to qualify too, which most people do. You need to work and pay taxes for about 10 years to qualify for Part A. Part B everyone needs to pay for. 

You can also continue working past age 65 on a full salary of over 100K per year US and still be on medicare

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ericthai said:

Good points.  I think I will have to go with you on this one, as you definitely know what you are talking about.  The other guy seems a bit jaded by his failures in Thailand and wants to blame everything on that.  He would be better advised to move on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

No cherry picking here, maybe you do not know how to research?

Thailand at 120 which you fail to mention is behind at least 6 Latin American countries

Where exactly do you rank Thailand since you like to cherry pick and bash Latin America?

Rank Thailand or read below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index#/media/File:GPI_2017.jpg

Lets talk world ranking not Mexican Citizens Council...

Amazing you haven't even realized Thailand is not the safest place in the world

120 says it all, no disputing way behind 6 Latin American countries

Thailand not ranked as green safe on the 2017 Global Peace Index

So don't go off tangent and address the fact that Thailand is not any safer

You should learn more about the country you live in and not worry so much about Latin America

You sound like a very angry person, scarred by your failed experiment in Thailand.  Rather than ad hominem attacks against successful happy people, you should move on, or get therapy.    The fake news site you reference should be taken with a grain of salt.  So-called "think tanks" (this one with an Aussie tech entrepreneur at the helm) usually have some sort of political agenda (as do you). You also failed to address the independent and verifiable data presented to you.  In short, your entire thesis is rejected, and would definitely not pass muster as a high school research project.  I wish you well, but I recommend you purchase a good flak jacket and and APC if you do follow up on this Latin American dream/nightmare. 

Edited by torrzent
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, torrzent said:

You sound like a very angry person, scarred by your failed experiment in Thailand.

Life is always a failed experiment, doesn't matter where you live.

Just a matter of 'how long' before you notice it's failed.

(and your ability to endure)

PS

Do you really think calling someone 'scarred and angry' isn't an ad hominem attack?

PPS

Happiest person I have ever known drinks himself unconscious every day.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1