Please answer me this

Will have variable control, the initial setting will just light up the appliance and gives a fire effect, and then if required heat settings to provide warmth if (ever) required.

Not exactly a smart purchase for a studio condo dweller.

Recreating a Northern European / Upper States American style bar in your multi-roomed abode, essential.

Edited by Paul Catton

Once Bitten What big box shop was that in?  I agree with KhunBenq and Dmaxdan It does get cool up here in CR although not cold enough for the parks worn in the village. It would be nice to have to take the chill off the room during those times of the year.

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

Along the lines of down comforters they sell in Bangkok... ours is not to reason why...

Because it get cold for part of the year even in Bangkok.   

Why do you think they sell fleece lined jackets and other Winter fashions in H&M (and other stores) from November to March?  (they were still stocking them last week when I went to buy some clothes).

6 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Because sometimes it gets chilly in Thailand !!

I remember driving to Chiang Mai in an open Jeep (Willy) from Pattaya. As we were going over the mountains on the last leg of the trip my hands were going blue from the cold. I actually seen a shop with rubber hot water bottles for Sale hanging out at the front of it.

Brought back memories from my childhood....before the electric blanket. I also remember the porcelain jars and the stones and the irons.

• Like 1

Looks a lot nicer than the electric heater I bought my wife's family.  I usually go to their home in Central Thailand's Chai Nat district for Chinese New Year and I kept freezing my ass off.  I have been offering to buy them a heater for years.  They finally agreed to let me get one this year, and of course I couldn't go for Chinese New Year this year.  Oh well, at least I won't have to sit around wrapped in a blanket sipping hot coffee in the mornings next year.

Don't laugh.  A couple of years ago I bought a small electric space heater for the office room of my house where I spend most of my time, just for the few days of Winter here in Chiang Mai when I need it.  I have a problem with blood circulation in my legs, and it doesn't take much to cause me some serious problems with walking. 

30 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I remember driving to Chiang Mai in an open Jeep (Willy) from Pattaya. As we were going over the mountains on the last leg of the trip my hands were going blue from the cold. I actually seen a shop with rubber hot water bottles for Sale hanging out at the front of it.

Brought back memories from my childhood....before the electric blanket. I also remember the porcelain jars and the stones and the irons.

My father told stories about my grandmother heating bricks on the stove, then wrapping them in a towel and putting them under the blankets to keep them warm.  He also said she put a baked potato in each of his coat pockets to keep his hands warm when walking the 2 miles to school and then he would eat them for lunch.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Ah the stone age and the iron age.. Such memories. Driving the car Fred flinstone style with feet through the floor. 

55555.    Only kidding ?

Had one in the UK, never used the heater, but on a cold winter evening with the central heating turned up it provided a real warming effect. Actually thought about shipping one out to Thailand, but instead have built a real log fire place, ready for those

"chilly" Thai winters.

Edited by dick turpin

Lol... if you ever travel or live up North with a Thai person and listen to them complaining about the cold in “winter” your question will be answered. I was gobsmacked by the heavy jacket and wool cardigans my Lady brought with her from BKK. 

"Why would this item be on sale in Thailand?"

You very obviously have never spent a night in the mountain valleys of Northern Thailand when the 'Cool Season' actually gets cold.  I have heaters in our house.  They get used 6 to 8 weeks out of the year. 

It's not unusual for people to die of cold exposure during the coldest part of the Cool Season. 

4 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

My father told stories about my grandmother heating bricks on the stove, then wrapping them in a towel and putting them under the blankets to keep them warm.  He also said she put a baked potato in each of his coat pockets to keep his hands warm when walking the 2 miles to school and then he would eat them for lunch.   

How did he get by with no hands after that? 

• Haha 2

I was waiting for a van one morning in Jomtien for a border bounce. The temperature was 13 c. at 6 am The front gate security guard was bundled up for an Everest expedition attempt. I was in shorts and a T-shirt. When you are used to 30 Celsius, 13 c is freezing.

The mountain areas around Chiang Rai can get very cold in winter. Even in the flat areas, it's down to 12 C at night. As another poster has said, occasionally there will be a cold-related death.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The mountain areas around Chiang Rai can get very cold in winter. Even in the flat areas, it's down to 12 C at night. As another poster has said, occasionally there will be a cold-related death.

12 degrees is great for sleeping. -5 is very cold.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ulic said:

I was waiting for a van one morning in Jomtien for a border bounce. The temperature was 13 c. at 6 am The front gate security guard was bundled up for an Everest expedition attempt. I was in shorts and a T-shirt. When you are used to 30 Celsius, 13 c is freezing.

Not really. Skinny people feel the cold more. A farang with 25kgs more beef would be used to 13 degrees to 30 degrees variance as that is common in most western countries and their weight would see them cope with cold better and heat worse.