With "training" like this is it any wonder there is carnage on the Thai roads?

webfact

With "training" like this is it any wonder there is carnage on the Thai roads?

29386611_1966487893669500_8396724663555719168_n.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

Motorists renewing their licenses at a Pattaya office had to sit for more than two hours watching a blank screen

They were supposed to have been shown a video about good driving habits but instead the staff at the Bang Lamung Department of Land Transport left them in the dark.

5pm1.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

A large crowd sat passively staring at nothing from 8.45 to 11am. Then a video was put on about road rules for half an hour.

Pattaya News said they had been contacted by people complaining about having their time wasted.

The complainants said they were given no information about why they had to sit for two hours doing nothing. They suggested it would have been better to put the driving rules video on loop rather than sit there doing nothing.

Thailand was named recently as the most dangerous place in the world to drive - people renewing licenses and applying for new ones have to undergo several hours of training.

But many suggest that such training is ineffective in improving driving habits - even when the screen comes to life.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-20
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Thian said:

I don't understand why Thailand has drivers licenses AT ALL....

Has anybody ever failed for the exams and refused a license?

I have seen Thai people fail the reaction test twice and still given another go, till they pass,  and she got her license before me ( falang is special ).

As for the depth perception test  (if it's still there can't remember last time )

what a joke,  watching people do that was. :w00t:

Just Amazing 

Edited by stanleycoin

Thai "training" 4.0

Looking at a blank screen is part of our new training after our qualified staff became aware of a recently picked up Einstein quote: 'Imagination is more than knowledge'. Of course there is always room for slight misunderstanding when implementing such complicated measures. Sorry for any inconveniences.

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Thian said:

I don't understand why Thailand has driverslicenses AT ALL....

Also i don't understand why they have trafficpolice since i see one driving against traffic every 20 seconds.

Yes my sister in law left her license lapse and had to resit the test and failed, so she’s now getting someone to drive her or she still driving her Benz around with no license. 

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes, my former boss (holding his home DL for 30+ years from a country which probably - due to its topography - produces the best and safest average motorbike riders) because in the practical examination he activated the indicator instead making redicilous contortions (which I never saw in real traffic in no country) above his head.

image.jpg

Edited by rebo

21 minutes ago, rebo said:

Yes, my former boss (holding his home DL for 30+ years from a country which probably - due to its topography - produces the best and safest average motorbike riders) because in the practical examination he activated the indicator instead making redicilous contortions (which I never saw in real traffic in no country) above his head.

image.jpg

Aha  now I have seen that contortion   used by a nutcase who almost wiped me out as I was moving from middle lane to U turn lane on the Sukhumvit road near Jomtien Ambassodor Hotel

I was doing about 80KPH he went past on his "Big Bike" about twice as fast.. still he had time to hoot the horn then make the gesture...I suppose it means he didn't see my turn signal or he thought I didn't signal.

• Haha 1

Changed my 5-year license recently and even when the video is working it's a farce. The guy was asking people to sign to say that they had seen it and returned their passports well before the video ended. And during the video people were just getting up and walking out of the room at will and those that stayed were just using their smartphones. Unbelievable.

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

I have seen Thai people fail the reaction test twice and still given another go, till they pass,  and she got her license before me ( falang is special ).

As for the depth perception test  (if it's still there can't remember last time )

what a joke,  watching people do that was. :w00t:

Just Amazing 

Hey pom chop thai driving tests... took me 4 times to get the license... later my stepfather asked why I just gave tea money.... well at least it was an achievement... cause here many rules are very different.luckly i found the thai driving laws online in english... .. they drive  crazy but thats thai style love it or leave it...

Didn't anybody in the room have the gumption to get up, find somebody in authority and ask what the heck was going on? One can only assume the falangs in the audience have been here too long and become as complacent and compliant as the indigenous population.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, free123 said:

Hey pom chop thai driving tests... took me 4 times to get the license... later my stepfather asked why I just gave tea money.... well at least it was an achievement... cause here many rules are very different.luckly i found the thai driving laws online in english... .. they drive  crazy but thats thai style love it or leave it...

Err, you mean take it or leave it? I don't love how many Thais drive here, but i have to take it, because without driving i would have to leave the bushes and go back to the cities..

5 hours ago, Thian said:

I don't understand why Thailand has driverslicenses AT ALL....

Also i don't understand why they have trafficpolice since i see one driving against traffic every 20 seconds.

"Has anybody ever failed for the exams and refused a license?"  Yes, I have seen lots of them failing both the car and motorbike test. At the motorbike test out of 21 people, only 7 passed, the rest had to come back the following week, and yes, I was one of the 7.

6 hours ago, HLover said:

Seems 96% of the students were attempting to locate the video on their cell phones.

Passing grade for all and extra points for inginuity. 

"Seems 96% of the students were attempting to locate the video on their cell phones".

So what?  What else would there be to do in front of a blank screen for an hour?

"Passing grade for all and extra points for inginuity". 

That part of it isn't a test, it's watching a video.  No extra points for you for your inginuity [sic]. 

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Didn't anybody in the room have the gumption to get up, find somebody in authority and ask what the heck was going on? One can only assume the falangs in the audience have been here too long and become as complacent and compliant as the indigenous population.

Yes answer was 

No  Hab  today :smile:

Edited by stanleycoin