Video: American desperate to be Thai - so why would "buffalo" Thais want to be Americans?!

webfact

2 minutes ago, orange31 said:

Met him. Really nice guy. Makes handmade hammocks. Parents moved to Thailand when he was a few months old. Born and raised in Thailand, he's completely Thai apart from his genes and passport. 

Not sure exactly the problem with him getting Thai Nationality, he did explain but went over my head.

To posters who say he should go home, he's lived his entire life in Thailand.

It's nice to see all his education paid off.

How much are his hammocks?

Photos or website to prove your claim?

Edited by HLover
Added content

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

There is a common belief that foreigners cannot get Thai citizenship.

In reality it's been possible for non-Thai people to attain Thai citizen for a very long time and still is and every year a few non-Thais do get Thai citizenship and a Thai passport.

I'm aware of one young British guy, came here when just 30 years old to hopefully get some work teaching bachelor of business programs (he already had an MBA from the UK). Fell in love with a young professional lady (not hi-so, not rich), the guy got a clear picture of what was needed in terms of language skills, personal education, contribution to society etc., and he went all out to get it right, at 35 he became a Thai national. No renewal, no 90 days reporting etc etc, nothing. 

He reads, writes, understands, speaks perfect Thai. Helps, with his Thai wife, at several schools for underprivileged kids. Today he teaches MBA programs in Thai and English. Very calm and pleasant your guy, keeps a low profile, well respected by his Thai and western work colleagues and his students. He doesn't play it up but he will privately admit that having Thai nationality opens many doors.

His wife opened her own consulting business, her husband helps as needed, no need for work permit, etc.

The threads at the start of the Thai visa forum give all the details of what's needed, the process etc. 

Very rare indeed.......

11 minutes ago, orange31 said:

To posters who say he should go home, he's lived his entire life in Thailand.

Well That's his reality then..and he should become a citizen. But it would be interesting to know what is the reason he can't??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

You are quite correct.  

I love it here, and I really like most of the average Thai people I meet day to day. 

However, it is the culture here that they will never accept farangs as Thai.  I don't mean this as a negative comment against Thai people, its just the way it is.  

They have a class system, even the 'hi so' Thai people won't accept other Thai people from lower class.  Then even the lowest class poorest Thai person will look down on a Thai Yai, Shan, Hill tribe person... even if they have Thai nationality.  

The posters saying it is possible for a farang to get Thai Nationality.... its is out of reach for the majority of people, and unrealistic.  The main factor being lack of money... as you require huge sums of money to qualify, also have a successful business or job here... which in itself is near imposable to get here due to the work restrictions for farangs.  

Dead right........ Lots of money in little brown envelopes......

• Haha 2

Parents are missionaries and been here 26 years, what hope did the poor bugger have.

Someone asked what he was doing here which made me think about the parents, is there really a requirement for missionaries in Thailand ?

Just in general, I look at the guy parents and see issue and that is being very very kind!

After a number of years here, I was asked " want you to be 100% Thai "  Down deep I was thinking what does that mean? because the last thing I ever want is to be Thai, I've learn enough Thai to get by and that is it. I rather shoot myself than be 100%

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Very rare indeed.......

Sure.

It's not a secret process reserved for 'who you know'

The process / requirements are public, and the point system is public, and the process moves very slowly.

It's not easy to get the required points, a few applicants make it many don't. 

while I to like thailand and have been here for a very long time, I have the one thing that most Thai's don't have, that is the ability to  leave and live in another country. as an American I can stay in thailand on a YEARLY visa, I must renew every year, but I can leave anytime I want to.

The Thai's will never, never except me as a thai even if I had

the papers, they are not disrespectful  that is just the way it is. and I can live with that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Do you have any idea how incredibly difficult it is to gain Thai citizenship? The bar is set ridiculously high. 

Gaining Thai citizenship is not easy, and for this reason many people opt to apply for permanent residency instead. In recent years the rules have been relaxed a little but it is still not easy to achieve and can only be given to those who meet certain criteria. In the first place the applicant must have been living and working in Thailand for a minimum of 3 years prior to the application. There is also a requirement to be able to speak basic Thai and understand a minimum amount of the language. You may also be asked to sing the national anthem. There should also be proof that you have been paying taxes in Thailand for at least 3 years. If you are married to a Thai citizen this can help to speed up the process and will be in your favour.

It is also essential that you show that you have no criminal convictions and that you have conducted yourself well while you have been in Thailand. There are a number of checks that are carried out including your political background, checks for convictions concerning drugs and your general criminal record. You must be at least 18 years of age and be considered an adult in your home country. You must have a minimum income of 80,000 THB each month, although if you are married to a Thai citizen or have had a child born in Thailand then this is reduced to 30,000 each month. There is a requirement to attend an interview and there may also be a written test.

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-thailand-citizenship

Which part of that is difficult?    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

That video with it's dreadful teary music and obsequious fawning participants was hard to watch, I just wanted to punch the guy. Go home the lot of you, and get a life.

The only thing that video is missing is My Mate Nate popping into frame to lighten the mood!

• Haha 1

I have no qualms with those who are one nationality but want to 'blend' in the society of another. @ scorecard  is a nice example. It takes hard work but if you're young enough then maybe you have the later years to reap the rewards of efforts. Don't think that's the case of the OP though who sounds a bit...well I'll be polite and 'trans-racial' where the modern wider definition includes 'wanting to be native of another society' or words to that effect. Of course the OP might just be a scam to get an easy position somewhere without expending effort...like wanting to be on TV?! I'm no expert on speaking, reading and writing Thai, I know, and still use my reference books I might add, enough Thai to serve my needs and I correspond with Thai friends everyday but, and an emphatic but, I've friends who are much more fluent than me. My point is that the OP sounds rather... 'synthetic' (?) and unnatural...at least that's my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Do you have any idea how incredibly difficult it is to gain Thai citizenship? The bar is set ridiculously high. 

Gaining Thai citizenship is not easy, and for this reason many people opt to apply for permanent residency instead. In recent years the rules have been relaxed a little but it is still not easy to achieve and can only be given to those who meet certain criteria. In the first place the applicant must have been living and working in Thailand for a minimum of 3 years prior to the application. There is also a requirement to be able to speak basic Thai and understand a minimum amount of the language. You may also be asked to sing the national anthem. There should also be proof that you have been paying taxes in Thailand for at least 3 years. If you are married to a Thai citizen this can help to speed up the process and will be in your favour.

It is also essential that you show that you have no criminal convictions and that you have conducted yourself well while you have been in Thailand. There are a number of checks that are carried out including your political background, checks for convictions concerning drugs and your general criminal record. You must be at least 18 years of age and be considered an adult in your home country. You must have a minimum income of 80,000 THB each month, although if you are married to a Thai citizen or have had a child born in Thailand then this is reduced to 30,000 each month. There is a requirement to attend an interview and there may also be a written test.

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-thailand-citizenship

It should be the same for folks going to UK as well. But cannot understand why the minimum income goes DOWN if you have Thai spouse or kid. Surely you need more money in that case.

10 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

It should be the same for folks going to UK as well. But cannot understand why the minimum income goes DOWN if you have Thai spouse or kid. Surely you need more money in that case.

I reckon it's just a logical consideration on behalf of the Thai government. They are aware that in all likelihood you are going to be cleaned out by your Thai wife anyway and won't be left with much to pay tax on. 

Son of missionaries that grew up in Thailand and loves it, not unreasonable to want Thai citizenship. His problem may stem from the fact he is the son of missionaries and is working with them in their mission thus not meeting the financial criteria.