Now Big Joke joins the hunt for female tourist who sat on a ledge at Wat Phra Kaew

snoop1130

17 hours ago, HLover said:

Can anyone confirm the Rice Gruel is translated as 'Jok' and not 'Joke' as I may have been writing it incorrectly for months.

โจ๊ก is rice gruel yes but also

โจ๊ก onomatopoeia for the water dripping from a faucet

โจ๊ก adverb for copiously abundantly

And sometimes the transcription of the English word joke joking so the pronunciation is "not far"

So to answer your question the right pronunciation is : "jóok"

As you said not exactly like "joke"  but not "jok"  between the two a bit longer 

http://www.thai-language.com/id/147733

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes mate !!Hunt !! makes a great headline.

It makes Big Joke look like the crime fighter of the century.

Meanwhile major crime goes undetected/ unnoticed.

But..but..Colin,would you rather have him pursuing his goal of police superhero or vote for the Milky Bar Kid,instead?

Think carefully now..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Maj-General Surachet - the deputy commissioner of the tourist police bureau - stressed it was not just the tourists' fault. He spoke on camera saying that their tour guide or trip organizer must take a share of the blame if they did not warn the tourists about what is acceptable and appropriate behavior at sites like Wat Phra Kaew in Thailand.

I was going to start in with funny comments about the true nature of what big joke was actually hunting.... but then I read the above.

this is the first time I have come across this concept, from an official... and it really really really needs spreading far and wide

todays joker needs applause ????

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Now Big Joke joins the hunt for female tourist who sat on a ledge at Wat Phra Kaew

"The tourist and her male friend taking snapshots could face a month in jail or and/or a fine of 10,000 baht."

Put them in the slammer for the month; I doubt the rest of the world'll see it as a big joke!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PEE TEE said:

Big Joke always gets his man /women . she was airing her views she did show some respect as she took her shoes off . Her name is miss Dumpty  .....egg joke get it 

In that case, I think the yolk's on her.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, kannot said:

"very seriously" land  of no priorities

It's going to be fine and safe everyone.....Top crime buster Surachet Hakpal is hot on the trail of the "sit on ledge" gang of international terracists.....

18 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

A suitably apt name for one of the nation's top police. 

Yep,  rather than working in show business, all the comedians in LoS are either in the BIB or Politics ! 555

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Deli said:

I think she'e now red flagged on Interpol's list with 100.000 $ reward - dead or alive.

Such a serious crime !

Meanwhile Premchai the fearless Black Leopard hunter can ignore summons and travel freely across Thai borders.

4 hours ago, Deli said:

I think she'e now red flagged on Interpol's list with 100.000 $ reward - dead or alive.

Such a serious crime !

Yes of course: Sitting on a ledge with criminal intent.

Same as those students who were arrested for 'eating a sandwich with criminal intent'.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

the thing I like about people here is that they do not seem to think that the Thai police cannot walk and chew bubble gum.

I imagine a tourist having a leak on Buckingham Palace champ d;elise. statue of liberty or the front of the Sydney opera house.  

These things are not allowed and would not be accepted.  People would be charged and punished.  The same thing goes here.

To be honest the fact that the BIG JOIKE" is taking crime in all it's forms seriously and I AM SURE HIS STAFF is IS A GREAT RELIEF TO this tourist.  I just hope that more officers will take his lead.

You may not comprehend the difference between "having a leak" and sitting on a ledge in the outer periphery of a Temple. 

Here's a practical idea,  get the Thai immigration officials to hand out a 400 page booklet of "Cannot" to Tourists on arrival. 

3 hours ago, ICECOOL said:

The real issue here that this behaviour is deeply offensive to ordinary Thai's and Buddhists. Like climbing on certain statues or buildings in UK or US.

In any country there are limits to behaviour. If you travel, you should respect that countries religious and legal requirements, even if you do not agree. Belittling the protection of religious and ancient landmarks shows a lot of ignorance. 

Deflecting, by saying the authorities are not doing this,  or not doing that,  so why do this, is just childish. 

Then Thailand really does need to clarify the limits to Tourists on arrival, to state the bleeding obvious nowadays most farang Tourists are culturally ignorant when it comes to countries with strict religious orientated rules. 

If they want the income from Tourists then the authorities need to get savvy and ease the way somewhat. 

Just now, Kimber said:

Then Thailand really does need to clarify the limits to Tourists on arrival, to state the bleeding obvious nowadays most farang Tourists are culturally ignorant when it comes to countries with strict religious orientated rules. 

If they want the income from Tourists then the authorities need to get savvy and ease the way somewhat. 

That's a good idea.

I think it was Japan but it may have been China some years ago printed instruction sheets for their tourists coming to the US, informing them among other things not to slurp noodles from the bowl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

Put them in the slammer for the month; I doubt the rest of the world'll see it as a big joke!

Yeah, just the kind of media exposure Thailand doesn't need.  (Not that it would occur to them).