Change Thai money into another currency.

keithpa

Is there any significance to your announcing that it's less than THB1.6m?

If you can find a country that really wants THB, take it to that country to exchange but bear this in mind from the BoT...

2. Local Currency

There is no limit on the amount of Thai baht bank notes that may be brought into the country. A person traveling to Vietnam, the People's Republic of China (only Yunnan province) and Thailand's bordering countries is allowed to take out  up to THB 2,000,000. A person traveling to other countries is allowed up to THB 50,000.

Any person bringing into or taking out of Thailand Thai baht bank notes, foreign currency bank notes or negotiable monetary instruments in an aggregate amount exceeding 450,000 Baht or USD 15,000 or its equivalent must declare to a customs officer.

Superrich has the best rates in Thailand, even better than Vasu but only located in Bangkok. Has many branches and has a web site too for you to compare and decide whether it's worth it for you to travel to Bangkok. 

+1 for Superrich (orange color theme) .... I myself have done a USD->THB exchange in excess of $61,000 ... and a THB->USD transaction in excess of THB2.23MM

Each time they've made room and time for me to check each note (more so on the USD buy-side transaction, but also for the THB buy-side too) for authenticity, and happily substituted any notes that I felt uncomfortable with.

I recall that each time they also checked if the then-current AMLO rules required a formal notification - but (each time) I was under the then-applicable reporting threshold.

I chose to go this route over using BBL or KBank as the rate quoted by both was ever so slightly lower.

I recall that had I been exchanging more than USD $100,000, *then* both BBL and Kbank would have been ever so slightly better as the bank would have applied a wholesale rate and not retail rate - again, as I recall at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emmess said:

Superrich has the best rates in Thailand, even better than Vasu but only located in Bangkok. Has many branches and has a web site too for you to compare and decide whether it's worth it for you to travel to Bangkok. 

Super Rich and Super Exchange ( which sometimes gives a little better rate than Super Rich ) have two locations in Chiang mai.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keithpa said:

Jomtien

With a large amount I would visit the main branch of TT Currency Exchange.

It's on Pattaya 2nd rd. About 100m from South Pattaya rd. on the right.

Don't mix it up. Too many locations.

As far as I know this main branch also has a separate room for bigger deals.

You won't fancy to staple that much cash at a roadside booth?

I would go there first to get information only (limits/conditions, availability/order?) without carrying the money.

Except someone knows for sure?

1.6 mill. is a substantial amount.

Their rates are very competitive (not worse than 5 Satang to the best rates in Bangkok).

And maybe you can negotiate.

What currency do you want to buy?

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ttexchange/locations/?ref=page_internal

tt.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Is there any significance to your announcing that it's less than THB1.6m?

If you can find a country that really wants THB, take it to that country to exchange but bear this in mind from the BoT...

2. Local Currency

There is no limit on the amount of Thai baht bank notes that may be brought into the country. A person traveling to Vietnam, the People's Republic of China (only Yunnan province) and Thailand's bordering countries is allowed to take out  up to THB 2,000,000. A person traveling to other countries is allowed up to THB 50,000.

Any person bringing into or taking out of Thailand Thai baht bank notes, foreign currency bank notes or negotiable monetary instruments in an aggregate amount exceeding 450,000 Baht or USD 15,000 or its equivalent must declare to a customs officer.

So example in AU it's a 10000 limit l believe..Maybe changed..So your saying you could not leave Thailand with 200,000 Baht cash

Possibly the OP will find he hits the money laundering screens, and will be asked to account for the money. From memory, an explanation is required by the Australian Border Farce if one comes in with more than AUD 10,000. Currently about 240,000 baht.

The alternative is to buy 8X10 baht ingots of gold, and accept it will be discounted by gold buyers outside Thailand. AFAIK there are no regulations governing the movement of gold, although I am willing to be corrected on a factual basis.

9 hours ago, keithpa said:

Jomtien

Are you thinking of US Dollars? I have several thousand I been holding till the rates go back up.......... I am in Pattaya (Darkside.... East side)  You May PM me

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

New to the forum. What is LOS? Thanks 

Land of Smiles. Frequently used sarcastically.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Questionable ........... LOS has been around a long time.............

Land of Smiles has been used sarcastically, BUT it really is a 'fond' titled description of so many Thai people who are noted for smiles even when they don't have that much to smile about......... For those of 'US' who love the poor (mostly Issan)Thais (not so much the HiSos, or inconsiderate Hi Class) we fondly remark about these people who can always SMILE........ as if they don't even know what their gov't is up to (my own little joke) ...........

It has always been used fondly.............. Only in recent years on ThaiVisa do I hear it being used 'sarcastically'.........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

I think I remember seeing SuperRich at a BTS station in Bangkok. Was it at the Nana Station? 

There is one at BTS Nana - however many of the small branches only buy foreign currency.

The OP wanted to cash out his Baht for another currency.

11 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Are you thinking of US Dollars? I have several thousand I been holding till the rates go back up.......... I am in Pattaya (Darkside.... East side)  You May PM me

Oz $ mate, thanks anyway.

11 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

New to the forum. What is LOS? Thanks 

Questionable ........... LOS has been around a long time.............

Land of Smiles has been used sarcastically, BUT it really is a 'fond' titled description of so many Thai people who are noted for smiles even when they don't have that much to smile about......... For those of 'US' who love the poor (mostly Issan)Thais (not so much the HiSos, or inconsiderate Hi Class) we fondly remark about these people who can always SMILE........ as if they don't even know what their gov't is up to (my own little joke) ...........

It has always been used fondly.............. Only in recent years on ThaiVisa do I hear it being used 'sarcastically'.........

I saw a thai, in car, hit and kill a farang cyclist, he was smiling and laughing about it. That was his way of showing emotion, if thats the word for it. He wasnt laughing and smiling for the reason a farang would. (Dunno if that makes sense or not, cant explain it any better)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, keithpa said:

I saw a thai, in car, hit and kill a farang cyclist, he was smiling and laughing about it. That was his way of showing emotion, if thats the word for it. He wasnt laughing and smiling for the reason a farang would. (Dunno if that makes sense or not, cant explain it any better)

HEY............. Are trying to say that you believe that this 'Thai guy' laffing and smiling after killing a farang is a good indicator of 'all' Thais????????   I think you will find he is a 'RARE' one........

I still say that LOS (Land Of Smiles) began as a fond 'label' for Thailand and it's 'smiling' population...... It has for ages been used 'fondly'......... Only in recent times on ThaiVisa mostly, has it become used by some farang posters with 'sarcasm'........... (Mostly used sarcastically by "Thai-bashing" poster)

Edited for duplicate wording and add a line

Edited by sawadeeken
duplicate wording/add a line
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

HEY............. Are trying to say that you believe that this 'Thai guy' laffing and smiling after killing a farang is a good indicator of 'all' Thais????????   I think you will find he is a 'RARE' one........

I still say that LOS (Land Of Smiles) began as a fond 'label' for Thailand and it's 'smiling' population...... It has for ages been used 'fondly'......... Only in recent times on ThaiVisa mostly, has it become used by some farang posters with 'sarcasm'........... (Mostly used sarcastically by "Thai-bashing" poster)

Edited for duplicate wording and add a line

Not rare, common. Dont argue with someone thats been here since Nam. Got all the info i need about currency so drop it.

Edited by keithpa
add
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Media1 said:

So example in AU it's a 10000 limit l believe..Maybe changed..So your saying you could not leave Thailand with 200,000 Baht cash

I didn't say that, neither did the BoT section that I quoted, didn't you read it?  The last 6 words are kind of relevant.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1