5 vs 1: French tourist attacked in Pattaya [VIDEO]

Jonathan Fairfield

8 minutes ago, ntg187 said:

I was on buakao last night around the same time that this "beating" happened.  I had just left showgirls agogo in soi lk and hit up the subway for a late bite.  I do remember this guy walking past as he was shouting across the street at the ladyboys who work at the bar opposite the soi lk entrance.  After I finished my sub I took a taxi bike home so unfortunately I did not witness the "jumped by 5 men".

Perhaps taken by 5 ladyboys because he couldn't pay?

Edited by jenny2017

9 hours ago, helloagain said:

And they dont care

No one really cares except for some frightened old ladies on the internet.

People will keep coming and Thai visa will continue to headline such stories

to attract clicks from you and me.

Everybody wins. Naysayers vent, rose tinted defend and Thai visa makes money :)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously? I don't recollect that, but I can't say you are wrong as I don't have the stats.

Certainly never as bad in the 90s.

It's all gone wrong for Pattaya. Far from becoming the Riviera of SEA, it's a rather decrepit town with loads of ugly buildings, some of which won't be finished, decaying public infrastructure- pier, marina, car parking building, a filthy beach with toxic water, visible crime, chaotic traffic, more tourists than can be handled safely, and no suggestion that the myriad problems will be sorted any time soon, if ever.

You are correct. It's all gone bad in Pattaya. It's a classic example of how over building and under regulation can ruin a place. I first visited there in the mid 70's and it was reasonably nice. Yes the bars were there but Walking Street seemed to have more shops catering to tourists and there weren't so many drunks coming out of bars at 2 AM. Over the years the number of bars, whores, ladyboys, etc. in Pattaya increased because everyone is trying to make a buck.  In addition, more low class tourists now getting drunk and trying to make their way to their hotels in the early hours of the morning because the police seem unwilling to curb the drinking after 2 AM.  The beaches once nice are now polluted and overcrowded with deck chairs, jet ski scams and people selling everything under the sun.  I haven't visited there in years.  One doesn't go to Pattaya for the beach. It's only advantage is that it is close to Bangkok for tourists.

Edited by Trouble

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Not when they change their version of events, as he did, it isn't.  That makes one version of the events deliberately wrong and makes him a liar.

Fine then u believe just the guys who robbed and beat him up their version.

Would 3;00 am be considered early Saturday morning?

Depending on seeing evidence of injuries from a fight causing him to be knocked out, I wonder if the young Frenchman was robbed when he was found passed out drunk. But saing he was attacked by 5 men and robbed will get more sympathy and offers to help replace anything stolen 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hottrader77 said:

i walk all the time on soi bakhao and not had a problem but maybe its the start of problems there , there are never any police patrolling , so its worrying if i try to get to my hotel and this is happening , its no good for thailand , i can believe this happened as it is dark and nobody about especially no police , hope they catch them  

True, no police patroling. Basically you are on you own. 

On 25.3.2018 at 8:01 AM, hyku1147 said:

No. They have decreased in both frequency and severity.

Most of the time, a Farang makes a Thai lose face. Loudmouths get away with it in the Anglo West, but it dosn't go unanswered here. On the other hand, Farangs need to be very careful in certain night clubs because the staff can react with little provocation. That being said, I have had 5 loudmouth confrontations  in the last year, 2 in Cambodia, and three in Pattaya - and they were all with rude Farangs.

After your lesson they did behave much better !

On 3/24/2018 at 9:02 PM, hyku1147 said:

10 years back  tourist beatings  were commonplace.

There used to be an "I got beaten" style t-shirt for sale a few years back so you could actually say, I got beaten AND got the t-shirt!

16 hours ago, ntg187 said:

I was on buakao last night around the same time that this "beating" happened.  I had just left showgirls agogo in soi lk and hit up the subway for a late bite.  I do remember this guy walking past as he was shouting across the street at the ladyboys who work at the bar opposite the soi lk entrance.  After I finished my sub I took a taxi bike home so unfortunately I did not witness the "jumped by 5 men".

.....and l notice in the video he is directly opposite Asia Backpackers and that new ladyboy bar.......he got katoeyed for sure.

On 25/03/2018 at 8:01 AM, hyku1147 said:

No. They have decreased in both frequency and severity.

Most of the time, a Farang makes a Thai lose face. Loudmouths get away with it in the Anglo West, but it dosn't go unanswered here. On the other hand, Farangs need to be very careful in certain night clubs because the staff can react with little provocation. That being said, I have had 5 loudmouth confrontations  in the last year, 2 in Cambodia, and three in Pattaya - and they were all with rude Farangs.

Who was the loudmouth, you or the farangs?  :sorry:

On 3/25/2018 at 1:32 PM, jacko45k said:

Glad there is someone here who thinks this is possible  and a problem.

My take is that in the evening, particularly at weekends, a lot of kids are coming into town from nearby, you can often see them on Sukhumvit. When they run out of money, easy pickings are a-plenty late at night! 

Unlike someone above I think this type of crime is likely on the increase.

the other solution is more police on the beat but maybe its a step too far in thailand