'No more' or we vote you out - students lead huge U.S. anti-gun rallies

rooster59

45 minutes ago, HLover said:

Nice, it took 28 posts but someone else finally realized that the person they quoted is only 17 years old.

So you would prefer the disgusting old dinosaurs with their cigars & their nods'n winks to intelligent young people concerned for their and the world's future?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

@ sevenhills, what is so funny about this post?

Yes, I'm astonished at the contributors who find this amusing! Are they morons? I can just about understand some one disagreeing, but finding it humourous? Extraordinary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my opinion, no matter how much I admire their efforts, it’s like putting a drop of water next to the ocean. And these kids are the drop of water. The scales are so ridiculously outweighed on the side of corporations and lobbyists and all those who really run the country. I heard one of the kids today say that the power that be are scared, but I personally don’t even think these kids have even gotten their attention yet. America is a great place; things can get done putting pressure on organizations like this. I just think the pressure is going to have to be applied ten times harder and ten times longer for even the slightest impact to be able to have an opportunity to take place... and sorry for even saying it, but I don’t think the kids have it in them. Drop your futures, drop your schooling, organize, sacrifice, spend ten years on it and show us how much you want it, because single day “we want this” rallies don’t often get anything done. 

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think they realize this is only the start but I don't think it's nothing or hopeless. Their stated agenda is realistic and reasonable. A plan is already in place. Register youth and allies and get out the vote. Hold town meetings everywhere and make all candidates commit to a position or deal with the consequences. This is a good plan. Now follow through is needed. I won't predict that either way but it's not unreasonable to hope.

Also consider good or bad the USA is an extremely youth focused culture. So what these youth want if they keep pushing can make a difference.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, the thing about Usofa is that its peoples are highly ideological ie committed to varying sets of ideas & willing to argue and even struggle for them. They believe in things - which, depending on the particular network of beliefs, can be better or worse. [cf Australia where noone believes in anything much except the Government coming to the rescue - which makes life reasonably quiet and comfortable for most people, but rather boring.]

It’s cute that you think we are still at a point in the debate where the above talking point...never mind, gotta go; the train to sensible gun control is leaving the station, bye.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It has been demonstrated that you can't play responsibly with your toys so they are going to be taken away.

Now, if there's any more answering back we're going to stop you watching TV as well 

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"March For Our Lives Events Focused On Registering Young Voters. On Saturday as marches took place all over the country protesting gun violence, several groups were doing something they hoped would be more effective in changing the gun laws than just marching:  they were registering voters"

https://www.politicususa.com/2018/03/25/march-for-our-lives-events-focused-on-registering-young-voters.html

2018-03-24T204236Z_2_LYNXMPEE2N0I0_RTROP

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quidio said:

I hope they succeed in getting some decent gun legislation to stop this insane level of killing in the USA.

Yes, of course but this current congress is "locked in" until the November midterms. So there will be anything of any consequence that's realistically possible before then. That's why focusing on registering and voting makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quidio said:

It will take time, but this congress may start getting very nervous when the amounts they are getting from lobby groups like the NRA become wide-spread public knowledge.   They may find themselves falling behind in votes to more progressive candidates.   

One can hope.

Yes, but it won't be this congress. That's the reality. 

Something could have happened big RIGHT NOW if "trump" had supported it. 

He totally caved to the NRA so that's over at least until the midterms. This is a long haul thing. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

When it becomes them who is kicked out of office they might take notice. Thats the thing.  Suddenly 20000 voters sign up and they have no intention of voting for you and are you going to find the new voters to counter them. Hopefully this will bankrupt the NRA

13 minutes ago, ronrat said:

When it becomes them who is kicked out of office they might take notice. Thats the thing.  Suddenly 20000 voters sign up and they have no intention of voting for you and are you going to find the new voters to counter them. Hopefully this will bankrupt the NRA

It's certainly worth a SHOT ... :sorry:

shot.jpg.693a94f6825e51ac1b136fbd6129588a.jpgnrwrong.jpg.418aeeed7aa3984d12a07184ce37a540.jpg

Edited by Jingthing