Thai Police push for a 12 points and you’re out system for driving licenses

rooster59

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

My vehicle is registered in my wife's name. So any offences caught on camera, eg speeding, the ticket comes to our home address. She has a license but never drives. So how will that work?

She will get the fine unless she tells them you were driving..

30 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

where is the big joke?

That loads of Thai drivers even don't have a driverslicence...

Same with those new speedingcamera's , loads of motocy took off their licenseplate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

My vehicle is registered in my wife's name. So any offences caught on camera, eg speeding, the ticket comes to our home address. She has a license but never drives. So how will that work?

I'd venture that between you, you could rack up twenty-four points a year yourself. Sounds like a challenge!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Absolutely impossible to enforce and implement in this tinpot country.

Try again. 

This time start with the basics, otherwise this problem will get worse. 

To be honest I think it impossible to educate the masses here they have the attention span of a goldfish. 

I think you're being really unkind to goldfish!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

I think it was, any nationality must respect the laws of the country they are in..

So does that mean that we as falangs must give the same respect to Thai Laws as THais do? 555

• Like 1

Pushing for a real driving test to replace the joke one might be a better idea! Also, selling licenses by officials to people who cannot even do 3 simple manoeuvres off road needs to be exposed and stopped. Sack them with no pension and save a few lives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

Only 3 points for Hit & Run too... :w00t:

And after 12 months you get a clean slate!...

So if one can keep it down to one hit & run and a couple DUIs in a year your good to go... :coffee1:

Good one :post-4641-1156694572:

Start with enforcing the rules that are in place, it seems ridiculous to add more rules when they cannot / will not, enforce what they already have....
Suitable punishments that are followed through for all, not just the poor, make the rules applicable to all.
A progression into the digital age that captures the vehicle information and sends the failings directly to the driver or owner. This is already here to some degree just expand it and utilise it to eradicate personal involvement and therefore associated corruption.
Follow up with the processes in hand already, simplify them and reduce the steps to prosecution, montains of paper work that just locks the systems down.
Maybe its just too simplistic an approach, there always seems to be a desire to over complicate everything nowadays...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Police should be applauded for measures to promote road safety.
As the cynics on this site have already suggested, there are major impediments to change the existing system. Least of all, a national database system to track every licensee’s current driving record. And yes, I do agree, the proposed points for offenses are woefully inadequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

37 minutes ago, JOC said:

No helmet....No plate....No Problem

An honorable member of the RTP on his merry way to enforce the law......

no plate no helmet no problem.jpg

Yes, that sums up the police and there attitude to there own rules and regulations,

Ignorant, police of Thailand.

Look at me i'm so important.  :bah:

• Like 1

Because most don't care if they have a license or not,

to ride or drive they will still do it, what ever .!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No real punishment in Thailand,

unless your smoking on the beach :stoner:

Edited 1 hour ago by stanleycoin

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

You forgot to add and a falang of ccourse!

If you think that is an issue up to you. :coffee1:

But i don't as we all have to pass a very stringent test in our own countries before we get one, also we have to behave on the roads.

25,000 i think is about the level of stupidity here by the Thais on the roads.

Falangs doing bad stuff,    is a big old nothing in the big picture.

Edited by stanleycoin

While the penalties are shockingly low when you compare to other countries, they need to be having this discussion and hopefully a good system will evolve to something with adequate penalties. The opposite end of the spectrum where you have rule for combining vehicles and bicycles is getting ridiculous. nothing is perfect but it takes time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Only 3 points for Hit & Run too... :w00t:

And after 12 months you get a clean slate!...

So if one can keep it down to one hit & run and a couple DUIs in a year your good to go... :coffee1:

You must be big joking na?

"One point is deducted for offenses such as not wearing seat belts or crash helmets. Two points are deducted for running the red light or driving in the wrong direction, while three points are deducted for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics or a hit-and-run. The points deducted will be reinstated after a period of 12 months."

They are not really serious about improving driving habits,or decreasing the carnage

on Thai roads,for the most serious offences the penalties are not a deterrent   and are a joke

really, something needs to be done,and urgently, but this is not it.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2