Thai eating habits

superal

It's somehow good to see that people in India eat with their right hand while the left hand is never on the table.

In Isaan when you have fried chicken and sticky rice with many people and you know that there's no water in the toilet next door, at least you know what could happen to you soon. :shock1:

Watch the people who stay longer than two minutes on the squad, and watch out what they touch afterward, or just continue as all would be normal. :shock1:

Edited by jenny2017

You clearly don't belong in Asia. Communal eating from the same dishes and bowls may be unhygienic to your Western sensibilities, but it is a part of the family, friends and business sharing and building of relationships that has gone on for millennia. As to the dangers, well stick to what makes you feel safe if it worries you, but try not to moan so much.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Hepatitis E is a liver disease spread by contaminated food and water. Usually,hepatitis E is spread by contaminated water; however, in developed countries eating uncooked or undercooked animal products can also cause hepatitis E. Some people who get hepatitis E do not ever feel sick.

Your post how careful you are, but "going down on so many women" with a mutual shower as the only protection of not catching.......( fill in the blanks, please.)

Jenny, my remark about sexual practices was perhaps not acceptable these days, I withdraw it with regret.

HepE can be passed on by a contaminated person handling food.  My feeling is  it was a street vendor in Agra who sold me a samoza. He handed it to me, didn't pick it up with tongs and put it in a bag. I curse myself because I thought I knew all the rules of third world travel.

Hep A and E are similar. Are you confusing B and C which often show no symptoms but are chronic and linger in the body for many years before re-emerging  causing liver cancer. Anti viral drugs are being produced to prevent this now.   A and E are acute, I am now immune from HepE.

Edited by nanglong218
repeating myself

On 3/26/2018 at 5:34 PM, nanglong218 said:

Geez, I started something here. A phobia?? No, I went to India and came back with a nasty illness. I didn't go looking for it,  it just got me. I'm not a 6 stone weakling, I knew all the rules about health in 3rd world places.

Now I've been there and have the bad memories. You do as you wish but the experience has not stopped me travelling.

This thread is about eating habits at the table. Your nasty experience didn't happen by sharing that samosa.

The diseases you're going on about originate in food preparation habits of the kitchen, not by table manners.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 5:05 PM, jak2002003 said:

What is the purpose of this thread, apart from being raciest and having a go at Thai people?

I have seem Americans with the most disgusting and stupid eating habits but will not start a thread about it.  

What is the purpose of many threads on Thai Visa, Information, and viewpoints I would have thought?

The post is about Thai eating habits.I find some of the eating habits quite unacceptable like other posters do.

My other half is well travelled and educated, speaks English ( the only member of the family who went past basic education ) lives with me in a separate house to the rest of the family.We cook using a BBQ and eat together. Both of us are very clean in our personal hygiene and oral hygiene.  The rest of the family are not.

Sometimes, my other half goes and eats with them and sits on the floor etc It's a communal thing. They eat all kinds of weird and wonderful things including pigs tongue, pig's ear, som tam, bugs of all descriptions etc and they are welcome to it. I don't.

With regards digging in with their own spoons etc I see this all the time and also using their fingers. Now for a start, I know very well some of them have never visited a dentist when it's cold some of them do not even take a sluice shower.

Whilst they are quick to complain about a foreigner who forgets to remove their flip flops on entering a house, they are the same people who forget to wash their hands after urination or defecation in a dirty squat toilet. Many of these toilets do not even provide soap and a clean towel! Tissues can be non-existent or a filthy towel that has been there for weeks.

Many squat cabins in petrol stations are the same, no soap or empty soap dispensers. I am sure this must have happened to many expats in Thailand on road trips, to be caught short only to encounter the above problems. I say nothing to them as it would be a waste of time and be seen as taking the ' high ground ' Let them live as they wish but it is not compulsory to join in.

No, I think I like my ways better, and I will stick to just the two of us eating and drinking together.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Scouse123 said:

What is the purpose of many threads on Thai Visa, Information, and viewpoints I would have thought?

The post is about Thai eating habits.I find some of the eating habits quite unacceptable like other posters do.

My other half is well travelled and educated, speaks English ( the only member of the family who went passed basic education ) lives with me in a separate house to the rest of the family.We cook using a BBQ and eat together. Both of us are very clean in our personal hygiene and oral hygiene.  The rest of the family are not.

Sometimes, my other half goes and eats with them and sits on the floor etc It's a communal thing. They eat all kinds of weird and wonderful things including pigs tongue, pig's ear, som tam, bugs of all descriptions etc and they are welcome to it. I don't.

With regards digging in with their own spoons etc I see this all the time and also using their fingers. Now for a start, I know very well some of them have never visited a dentist when it's cold some of them do not even take a sluice shower.

Whilst they are quick to complain about a foreigner who forgets to remove their flip flops on entering a house, they are the same people who forget to wash their hands after urination or defecation in a dirty squat toilet. Many of these toilets do not even provide soap and a clean towel! Tissues can be non-existent or a filthy towel that has been there for weeks.

Many squat cabins in petrol stations are the same, no soap or empty soap dispensers. I am sure this must have happened to many expats in Thailand on road trips, to be caught short only to encounter the above problems. I say nothing to them as it would be a waste of time and be seen as taking the ' high ground ' Let them live as they wish but it is not compulsory to join in.

No, I think I like my ways better, and I will stick to just the two of us eating and drinking together.

in other words "having a go at thai people".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

Nonsense,

I am just saying it as it is, and calling a ' spade a spade ' or in this case a spoon!, without the need for ' having a go ' at anyone.

I have found similar things I would not wish to join in regards communal eating in Arab countries as well as Vietnam and China.

Not a Thai thing at all, it will happen more often and I will see it more often here because I LIVE here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Nonsense,

I am just saying it as it is, and calling a ' spade a spade ' or in this case a spoon!, without the need for ' having a go ' at anyone.

I have found similar things I would not wish to join in regards communal eating in Arab countries as well as Vietnam and China.

Not a Thai thing at all, it will happen more often and I will see it more often here because I LIVE here.

telling it like it is out of the blue is "having a go". there is no need to bring up habits you dont approve of other than to complain about them.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

My other half is well travelled and educated, speaks English ( the only member of the family who went past basic education ) lives with me in a separate house to the rest of the family.We cook using a BBQ and eat together. Both of us are very clean in our personal hygiene and oral hygiene.  The rest of the family are not.

Your lady may actually prefer sitting on a mat with her family, for sure she ain't going to tell you that though....tease.gif.7aee23e8bcb42fd24704bba3959a47bd.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

Scouse 123 ,  the writings were spot on and I am sure we have all seen the same . This article is not about having a go at the Thai people , it is about your opinion on whether you are happy to comply and join in with their habits knowing and being informed of the perils of poor hygiene . I for one am not prepared to lower my standards especially as my constitution is not that of not only the Thai people but also of other Asian countries .

The retort of  " if you don't like it go elsewhere " is a shallow answer which I have seen a few times in other posts and often without substance of any information .  I respect other members opinions when they disagree with a post and offer a sound argument for a good debate  .  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, superal said:

Scouse 123 ,  the writings were spot on and I am sure we have all seen the same . This article is not about having a go at the Thai people , it is about your opinion on whether you are happy to comply and join in with their habits knowing and being informed of the perils of poor hygiene . I for one am not prepared to lower my standards especially as my constitution is not that of not only the Thai people but also of other Asian countries .

The retort of  " if you don't like it go elsewhere " is a shallow answer which I have seen a few times in other posts and often without substance of any information .  I respect other members opinions when they disagree with a post and offer a sound argument for a good debate  .  

how does one join in the habit of going to the toilet or showering with thais?

21 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

telling it like it is out of the blue is "having a go". there is no need to bring up habits you dont approve of other than to complain about them.

And the title of the thread inviting comments is........' Thai eating habits ' ............!!!

Telling it out of the blue????................... We are on page six,....... post 80!  

By all means, you go sit on the floor and eat food with hands that are full of bacterial faeces with them.

I did say people are free to do as they wish, I just pointed out what I preferred.

• Like 2

Just now, Scouse123 said:

And the title of the thread inviting comments is........' Thai eating habits ' ............!!!

Telling it out of the blue????................... We are on page six,....... post 80!  

By all means, you go sit on the floor and eat food with hands that are full of bacterial faeces with them.

I did say people are free to do as they wish, I just pointed out what I preferred.

and bringing up all the other things that bother you about thais is called "having a go".

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AYJAYDEE said:

and bringing up all the other things that bother you about thais is called "having a go".

Just gave the truth, facts and observations.

Only person attempting to have a go here is you with your ' I must defend Thai honour '  diatribe without any substance except repeating the same ' having a go ' mantra without pointing out where you actually find the post incorrect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scouse123 said:

Just gave the truth, facts and observations.

Only person attempting to have a go here is you with your ' I must defend Thai honour '  diatribe without any substance except repeating the same ' having a go ' mantra without pointing out where you actually find the post incorrect.

who said anything about incorrect?

• Like 1