Thai eating habits

superal

1 minute ago, AYJAYDEE said:

if you must, but why discuss it here?

4 minutes ago, kannot said:

how does one join in the habit of going to the toilet or showering with thais?

U asked

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

link?

youll just have to do a google  search " share shower with Thais" just dont be of a delicate nature

Edited by kannot

7 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

This thread is about eating habits at the table. Your nasty experience didn't happen by sharing that samosa.

The diseases you're going on about originate in food preparation habits of the kitchen, not by table manners.

My full post says "HepE can be passed on by a contaminated person handling food"   I think this includes table manners, ie dirty fingers in the pot.

Edited by nanglong218
addition

Does bother me a bit but coughing and sneezing all over the table, usually by kids or very old folk gets my goat much more.  Also when mother reaches out and inspects each piece of chicken with her fingers turning them all over and over before deciding which piece to take, or frequently eventually not to take any.  Or biting  or cutting off a piece with her spoon and then returning the main piece to the serving bowl.  Just low class inconsiderate bad manners.  Then there is the spitting everywhere. "My farm, my right."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Just gave the truth, facts and observations.

Only person attempting to have a go here is you with your ' I must defend Thai honour '  diatribe without any substance except repeating the same ' having a go ' mantra without pointing out where you actually find the post incorrect.

Don't worry the 'more Thai than the Thais' crowd are considered even bigger jokers by most Thai communities. Just have to let some people embarrass themselves sadly. On the subject I honestly enjoy eating with Thais for the most part, but I am certainly not going to start acting like a brat if others have a different take on things. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

My full post says "HepE can be passed on by a contaminated person handling food"   I think this includes table manners, ie dirty fingers in the pot.

OP is about sharing spoons not fingers. If I were you I'd never eat out even in Western countries.

I'm not suggesting very dirty conditions aren't dangerous, just that the situation as described in the OP isn't nearly the super risky,  you're asking for it!, gonna be crippled the rest of your life scenario you are making this out to be.

Doesn't bother me with sharing habits, though I will use a 'transport spoon' between the food and myself just out of courtesy.

Last week for example I was sat eating peanuts in a dish with some thai friends and used a spoon to put them in my hand.  They noticed and copied.  Really wasn't necessary, but they took it upon themselves to do so.

3 hours ago, samsingsong said:

No, in 20 years I have never sat at a restaurant table as a guest of Thai people.

I've always been the one who has to pay!

Exacery!!! And that us another thing that pees off a lot of falangs.  But usually the bill is liveable and my record was a lunch for 3 for 190 thb. 

10 hours ago, kevozman1 said:

Don't worry the 'more Thai than the Thais' crowd are considered even bigger jokers by most Thai communities. Just have to let some people embarrass themselves sadly. On the subject I honestly enjoy eating with Thais for the most part, but I am certainly not going to start acting like a brat if others have a different take on things. 

kevozman1,

Thank you, I agree.

I was brought up in an overcrowded house as a kid, I then went in the Royal Navy. We had to be fastidious about hygiene and respect the space of those around us. This is likely where I got my habits and I am not going to change them at my age. I already said to the guy AYJAYDEE, that others could do what they feel comfortable to do, it just wasn't for me, but he took this as an ' attack on Thais ' which is plain silly.

I felt the same in China, Vietnam, Egypt, Morrocco, and various other places.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

kevozman1,

Thank you, I agree.

I was brought up in an overcrowded house as a kid, I then went in the Royal Navy. We had to be fastidious about hygiene and respect the space of those around us. This is likely where I got my habits and I am not going to change them at my age. I already said to the guy AYJAYDEE, that others could do what they feel comfortable to do, it just wasn't for me, but he took this as an ' attack on Thais ' which is plain silly.

I felt the same in China, Vietnam, Egypt, Morrocco, and various other places.

most Poms do

On 3/25/2018 at 5:49 PM, Dmaxdan said:

Sorry but It's just the way Thais eat. I attend parties all the time and you have to just go with it or go hungry. You just need to keep hold of your own spoon. For me the one exception would be picking up something like a chicken drumstick, pulling a piece of meat off with their fingers and then putting the chicken back on the serving plate. I see this all the time and have never been able to accept it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Never seen that in my years here

On 3/30/2018 at 5:04 PM, jenny2017 said:

I've survived German, American, Indian, Sri Lankan, Thai, Laotian, Cambodian, Burmese, and a few South American countries' bacterias and I'm still alive.

I got a tapeworm from Thai beef and it was happily living inside my body for over 6 months - but I was still alive!

I don't eat to survive but to be healthy and thrive. Of course, that means I'm lucky and have the fortune of being able to choose what I eat and where. Just because you survived doesn't mean your body isn't riddled with parasites and bugs that are slowly impacting your health. The physical health of most expats I see in Thailand is atrocious, so unless you are an exception, you probably fit the mold.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tropo said:

I got a tapeworm from Thai beef and it was happily living inside my body for over 6 months - but I was still alive!

I don't eat to survive but to be healthy and thrive. Of course, that means I'm lucky and have the fortune of being able to choose what I eat and where. Just because you survived doesn't mean your body isn't riddled with parasites and bugs that are slowly impacting your health. The physical health of most expats I see in Thailand is atrocious, so unless you are an exception, you probably fit the mold.

Well, food is a tough topic, isn't it? Would I really be concerned about all the crap I've already eaten, life wouldn't be enjoyable. I'm trying to eat healthy food but it's just not possible from time to time. 

17 hours ago, tropo said:

I don’t think it’s BS. Have a look at how many Thai people use public bathrooms and walk out without washing their hands. I don’t want to risk sharing utensils and plates with dirty people. Sure, foreigners are also dirty but I don’t have to share with them. I gave up eating in Indian restaurants for similar reasons. If I offend anyone with my germ phobia that’s too bad. Each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hmm, I had been to India for half a year and I used to like some Indian food. But that then rapidly changed when I had to go to the bathroom in a restaurant near Madurai. There's rotten food all over the place, not even considering the cockroaches and other animals. To get to the bathroom, you had to walk through the kitchen. The rest of my days in India were vegetarian and I haven't even tried to eat it again. 

• Like 1

Just now, jenny2017 said:

Well, food is a tough topic, isn't it? Would I really be concerned about all the crap I've already eaten, life wouldn't be enjoyable. I'm trying to eat healthy food but it's just not possible from time to time. 

Sure, I understand it. It's not easy to eat healthy all the time, but eating clean food without the extra risk of parasites and bugs is high on my list and not difficult. I do know one thing for sure, my wife is a lot healthier now that she totally shuns street food.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

Hmm, I had been to India for half a year and I used to like some Indian food. But that then rapidly changed when I had to go to the bathroom in a restaurant near Madurai. There's rotten food all over the place, not even considering the cockroaches and other animals. To get to the bathroom, you had to walk through the kitchen. The rest of my days in India were vegetarian and I haven't even tried to eat it again. 

I used to eat at night market type restaurants here (lots of kiosks around central seating) in Thailand, but after seeing the number of huge rats running around and cats and cockroaches all over the place, I lost my appetite for the food, which was admittedly very tasty. I definitely have fewer stomach disturbances and my wife no longer gets canker sores, which at times were brutal.

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

Sure, I understand it. It's not easy to eat healthy all the time, but eating clean food without the extra risk of parasites and bugs is high on my list and not difficult. I do know one thing for sure, my wife is a lot healthier now that she totally shuns street food.

There's finally a lot of truth in " You are what you eat."  :omfg:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

Out of curiosity how did you know you had the tapeworm inside your body for 6 months ?  were you undergoing a course of treatment for it and what were the symptoms ?