back to training - loaded carries

robblok

11 hours ago, tropo said:

I remember you saying your Garmin chest strap broke. Whatever you get, make sure you get a paired wrist receiver so you can use it outdoors. Personally, I would stay with Garmin as I believe it is superior in quality and it's the native strap for the Concept2 machines. I had a polar a couple of years ago and chest strap did not last long. I've just got the basic FR70 receiver, but you could get a more advanced one that record the distance of your farmers walks using GPS data. I just needed basic heart rate data and got the cheapest in the Garmin range for that purpose.

Actually, it was me. My strap broke so I went with Polar on the suggestion of Taveewat on the rowing thread. It sinks really quickly with both the rower and my phone. Much quicker than the Garmin did. I got it at the beginning of October last year and it is still in good condition. Not needed to change the batter yet either. I only use it on the rower though.  

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, GarryP said:

Actually, it was me. My strap broke so I went with Polar on the suggestion of Taveewat on the rowing thread. It sinks really quickly with both the rower and my phone. Much quicker than the Garmin did. I got it at the beginning of October last year and it is still in good condition. Not needed to change the batter yet either. I only use it on the rower though.  

I referring to the Garmin chest strap Robblok received with his machine many years ago - he mentioned it broke. It was probably from being too quick trying to take the elastic strap off, as they are a tight fit. I have 2 of them, one that came with the machine and one with my FR70. The linking is a bit frustrating. It's slow linking with my rowing PM5 but quick with the SkiErg PM5. It's annoying when I'm doing circuits to relink... I get an extra 30 seconds rest LOL.

42 minutes ago, tropo said:

I referring to the Garmin chest strap Robblok received with his machine many years ago - he mentioned it broke. It was probably from being too quick trying to take the elastic strap off, as they are a tight fit. I have 2 of them, one that came with the machine and one with my FR70. The linking is a bit frustrating. It's slow linking with my rowing PM5 but quick with the SkiErg PM5. It's annoying when I'm doing circuits to relink... I get an extra 30 seconds rest LOL.

Yes I am not known for my gentleness with products ?

2 hours ago, tropo said:

I didn't get any HRM when I bought my rower. I had to buy one so went with the Garmin at your suggestion. When that broke after a few months, I went with the Polar which is still going strong.

Decided 800m was far enough already so went up in weight instead. Weighed the buckets again and both at 26.5kgs. I wondered where the extra 0.5kgs came from, then remembered the lid. Added the lid to stop evaporation as contents are water and gravel. Bagged up extra 3.75kgs in plates bringing the buckets to 30.25kgs each.

Managed 160m first carry and 480m overall.

I think I will stick with 480m to 800m range and go up in weight when I can do 800m comfortably.

11 hours ago, Justfine said:

Decided 800m was far enough already so went up in weight instead. Weighed the buckets again and both at 26.5kgs. I wondered where the extra 0.5kgs came from, then remembered the lid. Added the lid to stop evaporation as contents are water and gravel. Bagged up extra 3.75kgs in plates bringing the buckets to 30.25kgs each.

I think I will stick with 480m to 800m range and go up in weight when I can do 800m comfortably.

Funny to see how it decreased your distance quite dramatically (just a little bit of extra weight). I had expected that too so far did not go up yet as i still see it more for distance. 

Can feel it a lot more. Forearms were burning last night. I do arms after so they get a good workout now. Went up in weight on bicep curls so making strength gains.

Can see some shape starting to form in shoulders as well.

3 hours ago, Justfine said:

Can feel it a lot more. Forearms were burning last night. I do arms after so they get a good workout now. Went up in weight on bicep curls so making strength gains.

Can see some shape starting to form in shoulders as well.

I don't need the farmers walk for extra muscle as my normal training program takes care of the muscle. I do see more shape in my shoulders but that is because the more fat you lose the more visible your muscles become. 

I don't really focus on my biceps (do train them) but because they are also used a lot with back exercises like wide grip pull ups and others they get a workout anyway. 

7 hours ago, robblok said:

I don't really focus on my biceps (do train them) but because they are also used a lot with back exercises like wide grip pull ups and others they get a workout anyway. 

I've given up biceps isolation exercises. This results in more strength for upper back work, which I train often... and more growth - the back can take quite pounding, but not when the biceps are fried. I already train back 2 - 3 times a week, so if I added bicep work that soon leads to overworking of the biceps tendon which negatively affects my back workouts. When the reps start going high (over 15) in back exercises the biceps start screaming for mercy, so they're getting a lot of work. They are always the weak link in the high rep ranges. Wide grip pull-ups work them less than narrower or neutral grips because there's less flexion in the elbow. I go wide if I want to reduce bicep involvement. I have lots of different handles so I do a lot of variety in hand positioning. Overall this new scheme has improved my biceps and back growth. Of course with all the rowing I do, the biceps are getting a lot of work over the week and they are probably one of the easiest body parts to overtrain - it is a small muscle.

Note: this is my own personal experience. Each person has to find what works best for them... but if back work is a priority, as it is for me, it may work well for others.

Lots of different info on training smaller muscles. Some people do train them too much but Ive seen websites talking about doing 500 reps for biceps and 500 for triceps over 5 exercises each 5*20 reps. This was from a guy with huge arms.

Ive just been doing 5 sets of standing ez bar curls and 2 sets of reverse curls. I usually find the forearms feeling it more but thats after farmers walk.

17 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Tried dumbells today on farmers carry. 28kgs for 700m. Handles are wider so harder to hold once fatigue sets in.

That i know my handles on my kettlebels are quite thick so fatigue sets in faster. Thicker grip faster fatigue 

6 hours ago, Justfine said:

Lots of different info on training smaller muscles. Some people do train them too much but Ive seen websites talking about doing 500 reps for biceps and 500 for triceps over 5 exercises each 5*20 reps. This was from a guy with huge arms.

Ive just been doing 5 sets of standing ez bar curls and 2 sets of reverse curls. I usually find the forearms feeling it more but thats after farmers walk.

Just because someone has huge arms does not mean his method works, some people are just gifted. I got a friend with a huge back and he seldom trains it. I don't fall for the fact that guys or girls look good so they could be experts. 

I don't need much bicpes work to keep my biceps big, same goes for my triceps they are quite nice but I don't train them a lot (i do weighted dips with 30-35 kg and some pull downs). 

Just try to find out what works but I would focus more on the large muscle groups first they have the most potential to grow. 

On 5/26/2018 at 9:30 AM, Justfine said:

Sounds like slow progress.

You ever think about hiring a real trainer who get you better motivated and push you harder? Many good ones in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just because someone has huge arms does not mean his method works, some people are just gifted. I got a friend with a huge back and he seldom trains it. I don't fall for the fact that guys or girls look good so they could be experts. 

I don't need much bicpes work to keep my biceps big, same goes for my triceps they are quite nice but I don't train them a lot (i do weighted dips with 30-35 kg and some pull downs). 

Just try to find out what works but I would focus more on the large muscle groups first they have the most potential to grow. 

It has taken ol' Trans months to get visible Traps...For me one of the most important after Triceps..:stoner:

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You ever think about hiring a real trainer who get you better motivated and push you harder? Many good ones in Thailand.

I am not sure the progress he is making is slow, loaded caries are heavy and mentally tough. But only he can know how hard he is pushing himself.

Today I pushed myself too hard had to lie down for a while after the loaded caries took me an hour to get a clear mind again. There is such a thing as over doing it. I think the fact that I am on a caloric deficit plays part of it hard to recover fully even if you get 2g of protein per kg of bodyweight but not enough calories in total.

Your remark about many good trainers in Thailand is interesting, I havent met many but I have not been looking real hard. After my cut I am going to slowly reverse diet and see if I can still add some muscle mass. But after 7 years of hard consistent work and having a reasonable amount of muscle its hard to gain much.

You gain most in your first year after that its all going downhill (the amount of muscle you can build I mean). 

5 minutes ago, transam said:

It has taken ol' Trans months to get visible Traps...For me one of the most important after Triceps..:stoner:

I have no real preference of muscles, everything is quite balanced with me except calf muscles and abs would love them to be ticker that would make them more visible. The top ones are ok but the lower ones are not. Its just how I am build. You got people with six packs, 8 packs 4 pacs with a lean slab of muscle below. You can't really change how your body is made up the muscles will grow how they are programmed to grow.

The loaded caries if done heavy enough will certainly build traps, I do them for cardio so not super heavy (its real heavy because of distance but I mean weight wise)

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have no real preference of muscles, everything is quite balanced with me except calf muscles and abs would love them to be ticker that would make them more visible. The top ones are ok but the lower ones are not. Its just how I am build. You got people with six packs, 8 packs 4 pacs with a lean slab of muscle below. You can't really change how your body is made up the muscles will grow how they are programmed to grow.

The loaded caries if done heavy enough will certainly build traps, I do them for cardio so not super heavy (its real heavy because of distance but I mean weight wise)

As you know I have a joint disease so I am limited to the normal way to get ahead with a muscle you want to improve on. I found some stuff on the Net to try after a lot of searching.

Started off light, which was all I could do with the exercise I was happy with, now l can do 3 times the weight. I cannot do regular tricep stuff, but have made gains using my head to utilise available apparatus to work them, so far so good..For sure never be an Arnie but I will not be an ol' fat bloke, which is all I want...:stoner:

3 minutes ago, transam said:

As you know I have a joint disease so I am limited to the normal way to get ahead with a muscle you want to improve on. I found some stuff on the Net to try after a lot of searching.

Started off light, which was all I could do with the exercise I was happy with, now l can do 3 times the weight. I cannot do regular tricep stuff, but have made gains using my head to utilise available apparatus to work them, so far so good..For sure never be an Arnie but I will not be an ol' fat bloke, which is all I want...:stoner:

I did not know you had a joint disease. Great that you found stuff that works for you. 

The same as you i just don't wan't to be fat, i like the muscle I have but for me its more about staying lean, i got a slow thyroid and that makes it hard. I could maybe gain some more muscle but I do worry about eating too much and getting fat. 

That is the whole reason I am going to try reverse dieting slowly increasing calories and checking my weight. But first I want to lose more fat. I am leaner as ever but still want to go down maybe 3 kg (funny thing is the lower you go the more you realize you need to go even lower). Still I am preserving my muscle as my strength stays mainly the same. 

But today was not funny, i have had feelings like this before after real heavy dead-lifts,  I will take this as a warning and see if I either need to eat more or do a little less loaded carries. Will see it could just be a one off too. But I always push myself hard so I worry a bit about over training. I might do a deload week (still training but at lighter weights). 

Then it will just take little longer to get where I want to be so be it.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I did not know you had a joint disease. Great that you found stuff that works for you. 

The same as you i just don't wan't to be fat, i like the muscle I have but for me its more about staying lean, i got a slow thyroid and that makes it hard. I could maybe gain some more muscle but I do worry about eating too much and getting fat. 

That is the whole reason I am going to try reverse dieting slowly increasing calories and checking my weight. But first I want to lose more fat. I am leaner as ever but still want to go down maybe 3 kg (funny thing is the lower you go the more you realize you need to go even lower). Still I am preserving my muscle as my strength stays mainly the same. 

But today was not funny, i have had feelings like this before after real heavy dead-lifts,  I will take this as a warning and see if I either need to eat more or do a little less loaded carries. Will see it could just be a one off too. But I always push myself hard so I worry a bit about over training. I might do a deload week (still training but at lighter weights). 

Then it will just take little longer to get where I want to be so be it.

At my age being careful is something else I must take into consideration. Old bones and aging tissues...I ripped something in  a forearm and shoulder...In pain for months with it. Think it\s now OK but at least I now know where to be careful and back off if my gray cells tell me too...Just wish  had a partner to "spot" and encourage grrrr.  ?

3 minutes ago, transam said:

At my age being careful is something else I must take into consideration. Old bones and aging tissues...I ripped something in  a forearm and shoulder...In pain for months with it. Think it\s now OK but at least I now know where to be careful and back off if my gray cells tell me too...Just wish  had a partner to "spot" and encourage grrrr.  ?

I don't know your setup but dumbbells and powerhooks (so you have less problems getting the weight to starting position) would be useful. I got rubber mats and if need be I would drop a dumbbell (happened once). I know my limits pretty wel so I don't worry too much about spotting. Thought it might be nice if you really want to push yourself. I train at home so its hard to find a partner my GF who trains too would not be able to spot the weights are too heavy. 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Slow progress lol

Ive only done 6 sessions.

Going up in weight at the 5th session and walking further is fast.

My volume (weight times metres walked ) has tripled in 6 sessions. If that's slow then fast must be on roids lol

Think I will enjoy the comedic comment and continue with my own plans.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I hurt my shoulder doing weighted dips. Wouldnt do again.

Im not overtraining the arms but agree internet comments need to be taken with a bag of salt as different programs suit diff people. Im happy with my progress so far this year.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't know your setup but dumbbells and powerhooks (so you have less problems getting the weight to starting position) would be useful. I got rubber mats and if need be I would drop a dumbbell (happened once). I know my limits pretty wel so I don't worry too much about spotting. Thought it might be nice if you really want to push yourself. I train at home so its hard to find a partner my GF who trains too would not be able to spot the weights are too heavy. 

Because of my "problem" shoulder work was out of the question. The muscles were dead..Then I found a vid.....Find an upright piece of equipment to grab hold of with one hand, with the other use a dumbbell that you can raise for at least 6 reps..Did that with light weight to see what happened...I did that for a few weeks to be sure I was out of the pain thingy and get things moving...Started at 15 lb and now at 37 lb for 10...I tried it two handed and it was impossible,  so for me a great piece of info..

"You ever think about hiring a real trainer"

Would be a waste of money. Ive done weights on and off for years. I used to play A grade sport. I can row 15km non stop at pace. I can swim 3km non stop. I'm not a novice.

4 minutes ago, Justfine said:

I hurt my shoulder doing weighted dips. Wouldnt do again.

Im not overtraining the arms but agree internet comments need to be taken with a bag of salt as different programs suit diff people. Im happy with my progress so far this year.

I think we are all build a bit different.. different size limbs ratio ect so some exercises are hard for some and easy for others i never had a problem with weighted dips (besides a crushed toe when the belt tore ant 25 kg landed on my toe). 

I am not saying your over training your arms whatever works for you works for you. 

Yes comments on the internet need to be taken with a bag of salt, but there are some real knowledgeable people out there. It is just a matter of finding out who they are.

Archived