back to training - loaded carries

robblok

13 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Slow progress lol

Ive only done 6 sessions.

Going up in weight at the 5th session and walking further is fast.

My volume (weight times metres walked ) has tripled in 6 sessions. If that's slow then fast must be on roids lol

Think I will enjoy the comedic comment and continue with my own plans.

If you are happy with that then not much more to say.....

Keep up your best effort.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Justfine said:

"You ever think about hiring a real trainer"

Would be a waste of money. Ive done weights on and off for years. I used to play A grade sport. I can row 15km non stop at pace. I can swim 3km non stop. I'm not a novice.

I am also no novice, but have thought about hiring a knowledgeable trainer to fine tune a few things. I feel I am never too old to learn. The problem is finding a good one. However a forum member has suggested one to me that i might try out. But first I want to finish my weight loss and then try reverse dieting. After that I will see what I will do I am in no great rush anymore. The fat i gained in those 3 months has come off and more than that I am leaner as before. I still want to go a bit lower but as I am happy with how it goes I don't feel the pressure to change too many things. 

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Of course I'm happy. Tripling volume in 6 sessions is good. Off a low base but still that's a good start. Farmers carry is dead easy with 5kgs in each hand but try it with 25kgs+ in each hand (50kgs+ bodyweight) and see how you go.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Happy you joined the conversation we can use more people here even if opinions differ. 

I am also active on some bodybuilding boards and read a lot there, there is always something to learn.

But once you done the right basics like eating right and training right those last little changes don't pay off as much anymore. 80 /20 rule and diminishing returns. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am also no novice, but have thought about hiring a knowledgeable trainer to fine tune a few things. I feel I am never too old to learn. The problem is finding a good one. However a forum member has suggested one to me that i might try out. But first I want to finish my weight loss and then try reverse dieting. After that I will see what I will do I am in no great rush anymore. The fat i gained in those 3 months has come off and more than that I am leaner as before. I still want to go a bit lower but as I am happy with how it goes I don't feel the pressure to change too many things. 

Depends on your goals. For fitness some are good but strength not so much. 

5 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Of course I'm happy. Tripling volume in 6 sessions is good. Off a low base but still that's a good start. Farmers carry is dead easy with 5kgs in each hand but try it with 25kgs+ in each hand (50kgs+ bodyweight) and see how you go.

What I have found is that farmers walk are also a mental challenge. Today i was not feeling that great but i just pushed myself, bit stopped a bit more but pushed on till i made it. You can push yourself on and on with ever smaller distances.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

What I have found is that farmers walk are also a mental challenge. Today i was not feeling that great but i just pushed myself, bit stopped a bit more but pushed on till i made it. You can push yourself on and on with ever smaller distances.

Yes doing distance would be. I think I would get bored at 20kgs. That's why I went up. On the other hand I dont want to carry 100kgs for 50m either. That would mean more strain on joints. Im liking the mid range weights and doing it every 2nd day I should be able to do it week in week out.

2 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Yes doing distance would be. I think I would get bored at 20kgs. That's why I went up. On the other hand I dont want to carry 100kgs for 50m either. That would mean more strain on joints. Im liking the mid range weights and doing it every 2nd day I should be able to do it week in week out.

You just stay happy with what you are doing eh, most here are....:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

My reasons are for cardio burn, otherwise I would have gone up already. But right now I am just holding on to the strength that I have. I lost around 10 kg since 15 March, I am already at a lower body-fat than I have been. But the diet is taking a toll on me so I cant do it forever. I want an other 3 kg. But I think that I will stop end of June even if I dont not make it. 

I will keep on doing the farmers walk but if I go up in calories I would probably go up in strength again too (for the farmers walk as its a new exercise so room for improvement). But its hard to keep my power up in the gym so far I have not been going down in weights but its hard. 

I am quite confident i can keep the weight off that was never the problem until I had the sleep problems, and those seem to be getting better and better. 

After yesterdays disaster of me having almost no power and energy after a less than perfect workout i feel great again. I totally smashed it 7 rounds that is so much more as before and before putting the weights down the first time i was over 3 1/2 rounds. So this means upping the weights.

I also know what was causing my bad workouts and lack of energy, SALT. I never take much salt (not by choice but just because of what I eat). After yesterday i took some sea salt in my kefir and had a smoked mackerel (should not have eaten it at night as i woke up to drink so). Apparently I am losing too much salt, I am taking my other minerals as a supplement but not salt. So this means more salt in my kefir and more often a smoked mackerel.  I was a bit heavier this morning but that was to be expected I hold a bit more water was filling fuller. 

Salt is not the enemy of athletes but of non active people. I knew this before just by forgetfulness did not apply it to myself. 

1 hour ago, transam said:

I can only manage an hour in the gym, knackered...There are times when after ten minutes my gray cells say go home...So I do, not discouraged cos next time stuff is usually back to normal...?

I am often tired during the workout but recover quite fast after the workout, but yesterday was different. I really had to lay down and lost energy for the whole day. I was feeling miserable and had no physical or mental energy. That almost never happens. I said I have had it a few times with deadlifts but this was different still. This was just not normal and traced it back to low salt. 

Many people say an hour in the gym is enough and I agree after that time i usually have no energy to really hit the muscles anymore. So there is no real use to do more. Sometimes its also good to change the order in how you train so other muscles get priority. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I am often tired during the workout but recover quite fast after the workout, but yesterday was different. I really had to lay down and lost energy for the whole day. I was feeling miserable and had no physical or mental energy. That almost never happens. I said I have had it a few times with deadlifts but this was different still. This was just not normal and traced it back to low salt. 

Many people say an hour in the gym is enough and I agree after that time i usually have no energy to really hit the muscles anymore. So there is no real use to do more. Sometimes its also good to change the order in how you train so other muscles get priority. 

I watched an Arnie chat vid, where he said about mixing stuff up, even the same exercise to use different weight/reps..I found when I got stuck on a weight doing this can break the barrier..

On 5/28/2018 at 4:23 AM, Justfine said:

Lots of different info on training smaller muscles. Some people do train them too much but Ive seen websites talking about doing 500 reps for biceps and 500 for triceps over 5 exercises each 5*20 reps. This was from a guy with huge arms.

Ive just been doing 5 sets of standing ez bar curls and 2 sets of reverse curls. I usually find the forearms feeling it more but thats after farmers walk.

I've seen a lot of guys with big biceps, and that's it... no back or shoulders to speak of. A lot of people focus on arm work because they want big arms, and that's their thing. They don't care about their back because it's hidden behind them while the bicep is a real display muscle. They don't call it "guns" for nothing. In many people's minds, it's the measure of a man. When guys want to show someone their muscles, they pull out their bicep. They don't offer a lat spread or chest pose or pull up their shorts to contract their quads.

Most of my life I've done direct bicep work. Recently (about 2 years now) I've done the unimaginable, and stopped. It's working. I should have tried this many years ago. The biceps are actually stronger and still grow.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I've seen a lot of guys with big biceps, and that's it... no back or shoulders to speak of. A lot of people focus on arm work because they want big arms, and that's their thing. They don't care about their back because it's hidden behind them while the bicep is a real display muscle. They don't call it "guns" for nothing. In many people's minds, it's the measure of a man. When guys want to show someone their muscles, they pull out their bicep. They don't offer a lat spread or chest pose or pull up their shorts to contract their quads.

Most of my life I've done direct bicep work. Recently (about 2 years now) I've done the unimaginable, and stopped. It's working. I should have tried this many years ago. The biceps are actually stronger and still grow.

Yes biceps are important for many people, i always saw them as a secondary exercise after the big muscles, same went for triceps. But I admit early in life i neglected legs a bit. But back, chest and shoulders were always done after that came either biceps or triceps but of course your not fresh then anymore. I can't say that I ever trained them first or alone on a day. 

It was always funny (not when you needed the squat rack) to see people do biceps curls in the squat rack. I did biceps today after my back. Just 4 sets and that was it, normally go for more but i was spent. Went on with abs after that, damm that ab roll-out is heavy. It was hard to do proper crunches after that. 

Im giving my abs a bit more love now because they get so visible now. (should of course always have done that) 

12 hours ago, robblok said:

Salt is not the enemy of athletes but of non active people. I knew this before just by forgetfulness did not apply it to myself. 

I think you have another problem. You say you don't drink after 5 pm to eliminate the risk of waking up. That's is a VERY long time not to drink fluids. I have absolutely no idea how you can pull that off. I'm getting thirsty right now thinking about it. I drink right up to bedtime and whenever I feel like it. You must be dehydrated from 5 pm until you wake up - that's not good... more than 12 hours (14 - 15?) without water!!

I have a sole solution (saturated rock salt solution) that I add to drinks by the teaspoon. I do a lot of sweating here in Thailand, even when I'm not training. A fan can trick you into thinking you're not sweating much as it quickly evaporates from your skin. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes biceps are important for many people, i always saw them as a secondary exercise after the big muscles, same went for triceps. But I admit early in life i neglected legs a bit. But back, chest and shoulders were always done after that came either biceps or triceps but of course your not fresh then anymore. I can't say that I ever trained them first or alone on a day. 

It was always funny (not when you needed the squat rack) to see people do biceps curls in the squat rack. I did biceps today after my back. Just 4 sets and that was it, normally go for more but i was spent. Went on with abs after that, damm that ab roll-out is heavy. It was hard to do proper crunches after that. 

Im giving my abs a bit more love now because they get so visible now. (should of course always have done that) 

The 2 favourite body parts to train for most people are chest and biceps. Chest because it's easy - lying down, and biceps because everyone looks at them. Every Monday, around the world, is known as "International Chest Day"... with an honourable mention for biceps LOL. Hard to get on a bench or a squat rack because the pencilnecks are busy curling in them.

10 hours ago, tropo said:

I think you have another problem. You say you don't drink after 5 pm to eliminate the risk of waking up. That's is a VERY long time not to drink fluids. I have absolutely no idea how you can pull that off. I'm getting thirsty right now thinking about it. I drink right up to bedtime and whenever I feel like it. You must be dehydrated from 5 pm until you wake up - that's not good... more than 12 hours (14 - 15?) without water!!

I have a sole solution (saturated rock salt solution) that I add to drinks by the teaspoon. I do a lot of sweating here in Thailand, even when I'm not training. A fan can trick you into thinking you're not sweating much as it quickly evaporates from your skin. 

It depends of course how late you go to bed... its an advice often given to people who have problems with night time urination. I am not always not drinking after 5 pm. Right now I am changing things up a bit because im sleeping better and I still havent found the real reason. Last night I had a cassein shake + salt at night. I am now really supplementing salt a few times a day. I am talking dead sea salt but whatever kind of salt (except for table salt as its not real 100% salt) is good. 

Yesterday I worked out had a morning and evening session and was not feeling that great (i was during the training) later at night. I slept long but also had an episode of (maybe fever) and sweat my ass off in bed so much i had to change clothes and put a towel on the spot i slept. Still i feel quite rested but decided not to do loaded carries today. It is a non normal workout day so I will take it as a total rest day. My body has been feeling sore for quite a while (never fully recovering from all the strains). Not really the muscles that play part in the loaded carries but others. A bit of rest is never a bad thing. I have time to get to my goals so slowing down a day is not a problem and maybe good. 

Going down more will take considerable effort anyway as this is the normal limit of my body might be a bit below already but the last little bit will go the slowest. Going to do some rowing again too. I really like the loaded carries and yesterday I added weight (2 kg on each side was going to walk with it today for the first time but will be tomorrow). 7 rounds yesterday was a lot more then ever and i think I don't want to do more than that. I expect with the extra weight ill be back to 5  1/2 round. 

Where did you get your salt, i used Ebay but might want to look at a source in Thailand. I mean if you drive past the coast you see so much sea salt being made here it should be available too not sure about the quality though. 

11 hours ago, tropo said:

The 2 favourite body parts to train for most people are chest and biceps. Chest because it's easy - lying down, and biceps because everyone looks at them. Every Monday, around the world, is known as "International Chest Day"... with an honourable mention for biceps LOL. Hard to get on a bench or a squat rack because the pencilnecks are busy curling in them.

Yes chest is a body part i like to train, just because its something I am good at. I would not consider it easy though. I am thinking of letting go of bench-press for a month or so and do DB presses (already doing incline DB presses) Those powerhooks are great. 

Thinking of an extra abb day in the weekend (nothing special maybe 8 sets but only abs and maybe a bit of rowing afterwards). Right now I have plenty of time and as long as if feel good and can get the quality of sleep better i will be ok. Yesterday did some nice wide grip pull ups the form is getting better and better (except for the last set). I actually like training my back, on weeks i train it twice one time is with deadlifts the other is with pull ups (always lat pull downs), and now some one arm rows changed that up did bend over rows for a while now one arm rows. 

I drink something all day. At night l have a bottle of water at my bedside, if l wake up l have a drink and go back to sleep. Even with all that fluid I may go for one pee during the night.

I did read somewhere about drinking a lot of water before going to bed, can't remember what it was about, but think it was to keep your heart happy. Will try and find it..

34 minutes ago, transam said:

I drink something all day. At night l have a bottle of water at my bedside, if l wake up l have a drink and go back to sleep. Even with all that fluid I may go for one pee during the night.

I did read somewhere about drinking a lot of water before going to bed, can't remember what it was about, but think it was to keep your heart happy. Will try and find it..

Off topic but here goes. As we age we tend to get up more often in the night to pee as a result of prostate issues. I have found that water has never been the problem and like you i keep a bottle of water by my bed. I found that as soon as I reduced my caffeine intake, the problem of night time bathroom visits was resolved. Once a night is fine by me. Luckily, I never have a problem falling back to sleep. 

Rob doesn't drink coffee, though so this would not help him unless he is drinking other caffeine loaded beverages.  

53 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Off topic but here goes. As we age we tend to get up more often in the night to pee as a result of prostate issues. I have found that water has never been the problem and like you i keep a bottle of water by my bed. I found that as soon as I reduced my caffeine intake, the problem of night time bathroom visits was resolved. Once a night is fine by me. Luckily, I never have a problem falling back to sleep. 

Rob doesn't drink coffee, though so this would not help him unless he is drinking other caffeine loaded beverages.  

But Rob does pop caffeine tablets 400 mg in the morning. But right now waking up is not a major problem anymore. Its getting less not sure what the issue is. I got tablets for the prostate problems but not sure they are needed. I will be monitoring the changes that are happening because I changed diet and am taking my thyroid medicine again (also has influence). Will see.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

It depends of course how late you go to bed... its an advice often given to people who have problems with night time urination. I am not always not drinking after 5 pm. Right now I am changing things up a bit because im sleeping better and I still havent found the real reason. Last night I had a cassein shake + salt at night. I am now really supplementing salt a few times a day. I am talking dead sea salt but whatever kind of salt (except for table salt as its not real 100% salt) is good. 

Yesterday I worked out had a morning and evening session and was not feeling that great (i was during the training) later at night. I slept long but also had an episode of (maybe fever) and sweat my ass off in bed so much i had to change clothes and put a towel on the spot i slept. Still i feel quite rested but decided not to do loaded carries today. It is a non normal workout day so I will take it as a total rest day. My body has been feeling sore for quite a while (never fully recovering from all the strains). Not really the muscles that play part in the loaded carries but others. A bit of rest is never a bad thing. I have time to get to my goals so slowing down a day is not a problem and maybe good. 

Going down more will take considerable effort anyway as this is the normal limit of my body might be a bit below already but the last little bit will go the slowest. Going to do some rowing again too. I really like the loaded carries and yesterday I added weight (2 kg on each side was going to walk with it today for the first time but will be tomorrow). 7 rounds yesterday was a lot more then ever and i think I don't want to do more than that. I expect with the extra weight ill be back to 5  1/2 round. 

Where did you get your salt, i used Ebay but might want to look at a source in Thailand. I mean if you drive past the coast you see so much sea salt being made here it should be available too not sure about the quality though. 

I bought some Himalayan Pink (rock) salt at Foodland for about the same price I got it on eBay the time before. I bought Celtic Sea Salt and Redmond Real Salt from iHerb. 

Regarding your time without drinking. Irrespective of the time you go to bed if you stop drinking at 5 pm, even if you get up at 5 am, you haven't had any fluids for 12 hours. I'm guessing you don't get up that early, so even longer than 12 hours. Water is extremely important and even more important in a hard-working athlete like yourself. You train twice per day. You need that water to carry waste products away from and nutrients to your muscle for repair. To add to that, you're living in a climate where the temperature is mostly above 30C with high humidity. You need a lot of water and you don't get enough over 10 hours per day of drinking.

I disagree that getting up once or twice to urinate is a problem. It's normal. I've woken up to pee at least twice a night my whole life. Only on rare occasions, it's once. When I'm training really hard and drinking a lot I can wake up 3 - 4 times to pee. Your problem is not waking up to pee, but getting back to sleep again. You're so stressed about not getting back to sleep again you can't. The anxiety keeps you awake. I'd be working on that, not dehydrating your body so you don't have to wake up. You're so convinced it's a problem, you're making it a problem. 

It becomes a problem if the prostate is enlarged and you cannot pass a full bladder load, which will require more effort and more frequent urination. That's when people start sleeping with catheters.

Archived