back to training - loaded carries

robblok

Did the same walk with the heavier weights for 6 rounds but could have done 7 if I wanted. So I increased weights with an other 2.2. kg. I think the salt supplementing is really paying of for this kind of exercise. 

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had it increased again now at 25 kg each hand. It was a lot harder to complete 5 1/2 rounds. It needed more stops taxed my shoulders and traps and grip strength more. Will stay at this weight for a while, it feels a lot as when I started doing this. But the salt seems to have helped, can't think what else spurred the increase in strength. Perhaps the days I took off but still its nice that there are some things i get better at.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Had it increased again now at 25 kg each hand. It was a lot harder to complete 5 1/2 rounds. It needed more stops taxed my shoulders and traps and grip strength more. Will stay at this weight for a while, it feels a lot as when I started doing this. But the salt seems to have helped, can't think what else spurred the increase in strength. Perhaps the days I took off but still its nice that there are some things i get better at.

Think I would worry about my leg joints going tits up in later life doing that stuff...

1 minute ago, transam said:

Think I would worry about my leg joints going tits up in later life doing that stuff...

Im not sure about it I don't feel strain on it at all. This is of course a natural movement and how we as humans have carried loads around since the beginning of our existence. Only the last couple of 100 years did we get it easier before it was either carry stuff yourself or get a pack animal and not everyone had wagons / pack animals.

Also that would mean everyone who is obese would get joint problems and they probably walk more then 1500 meters a day (or so I hope). So I am not really sold on the idea of joint problems. Maybe at even higher weights but then my frequency will go down. For now I keep the frequency up and don't really focus on weight that I am walking around with. Before taking the salt I was already resigned in the fact that during this cut I would not be able to increase weight on this exercise anymore. 

Salt is basically the only thing that changed.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Im not sure about it I don't feel strain on it at all. This is of course a natural movement and how we as humans have carried loads around since the beginning of our existence. Only the last couple of 100 years did we get it easier before it was either carry stuff yourself or get a pack animal and not everyone had wagons / pack animals.

Also that would mean everyone who is obese would get joint problems and they probably walk more then 1500 meters a day (or so I hope). So I am not really sold on the idea of joint problems. Maybe at even higher weights but then my frequency will go down. For now I keep the frequency up and don't really focus on weight that I am walking around with. Before taking the salt I was already resigned in the fact that during this cut I would not be able to increase weight on this exercise anymore. 

Salt is basically the only thing that changed.

Have you ever noticed old folk walking around with a stick, perhaps their life's employment was a factor. Plus knee and hip joint replacement is high on the list of surgical operations.

My mother had a knew knee at eighty, my chum who is over weight has had two hips, another two knees, both over seventy...I had one knee operated on to repair stuff which was actually caused in the gym about 35 years back..

30 minutes ago, transam said:

Have you ever noticed old folk walking around with a stick, perhaps their life's employment was a factor. Plus knee and hip joint replacement is high on the list of surgical operations.

My mother had a knew knee at eighty, my chum who is over weight has had two hips, another two knees, both over seventy...I had one knee operated on to repair stuff which was actually caused in the gym about 35 years back..

Yes I have noticed people with sticks and so on, but my point is the distance is not that much if you compare it with what obese people carry around every day for longer distances. Also they have been doing it a lot longer then me (carrying that heavy weight). So I don't think the 1500 meter is going to be a problem, later on I will cut down from every day to 4-5 times a week. I have been trying to find info on it being a bad movement but all i get back are how many benefits it has.

Walking unlike jogging is a natural movement and in the past we did have to transport a lot of stuff so I don't worry too much about it. Hopefully I am right, can never know. But its so hard to say what is worse.. jogging 10 km or doing this for 1500 meters. I know that jogging is not a natural movement and gives a lot of problems, I think here the impact of the foot on the surface is not so hard as you control yourself during the walk.

But I do get your point I just don't think its an issue given what others do and the results. 

Just now, hyku1147 said:

It would definitely reduce estrogen, and her side effects. Perhaps it would also help in keeping the HPTA activated? (I can only speculate)

http://roguehealthandfitness.com/testosterone-arimidex/

" Estrogen feeds back negatively on luteinizing hormone (LH), the main stimulant of testosterone production. By lowering estradiol, feedback inhibition is decreased, LH goes up, and more testosterone is produced. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothalamic–pituitary–gonadal_axis

" The axis controls development, reproduction, and aging in animals. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) is secreted from the hypothalamus by GnRH-expressing neurons. The anterior portion of the pituitary gland produces luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), and the gonads produce estrogen and testosterone. "

I know it works as I do blood tests of estrogen to see if I am in the right range. I don't think it will keep the HPTA active. 

Buggered my back up again so no kind of training for me for at least a few days (no idea how it happened this time). At least it appears to be limited to my muscles and not my spine.  Not sure which muscles but the pain is on the right side of my spine, like a stabbing pain in the muscle.. Also the muscles round my ribs on the same side are still sore. Hurts when I sneeze. 

17 hours ago, GarryP said:

Buggered my back up again so no kind of training for me for at least a few days (no idea how it happened this time). At least it appears to be limited to my muscles and not my spine.  Not sure which muscles but the pain is on the right side of my spine, like a stabbing pain in the muscle.. Also the muscles round my ribs on the same side are still sore. Hurts when I sneeze. 

That is real annoying, injuries always are.  I have decided again to take it a bit slower (and will slow down a bit more for longer) as again i experienced some symptoms that were not nice sweating and sore all over. But.. it might not be 100% training related (though i think it has something to do with it) the GF was weak and sweating too and slept all day a few days ago. So its quite possible some kind of fever that is in my system but wont clear out completely as long as i don't properly rest my body.

When I was rowing I did have problems with my lower back, but more that i over used it. But that was because I also trained squats and dead lifts real hard. Its a bit hard to take off time though I know it is a good thing. Its more the routine of things. I don't worry about muscle loss and stuff like that. 

Could an NSAID like cerebex help you ?

2 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

The focus is on systems that are free of exogenous testosterone.

Why would the HTPA shut down then.. (only maybe if there is too much estrogen). Anyway if you need arimidex its easy to get near Nana.

18 hours ago, GarryP said:

I have done near the same this morning trying to sort my matchsticks out after a 40 year layoff...bored.gif.3b707535532935ff253bf35a32b9b2e7.gif

15 minutes ago, transam said:

I have done near the same this morning trying to sort my matchsticks out after a 40 year layoff...bored.gif.3b707535532935ff253bf35a32b9b2e7.gif

Not sure what you mean but assume matchsticks mean your ribs. Hurts when you sneeze or cough. Anything that expands your chest. Last year on the rower no problem at all and my lower back problems were resolved. Thought this year I would increase cardio on the rower a little and been hit twice with muscle and rib problems and I'm only 55.

Just now, GarryP said:

Not sure what you mean but assume matchsticks mean your ribs. Hurts when you sneeze or cough. Anything that expands your chest. Last year on the rower no problem at all and my lower back problems were resolved. Thought this year I would increase cardio on the rower a little and been hit twice with muscle and rib problems and I'm only 55.

Noooo, my legs....laugh.gif.9e43bc219fcf597be337f8f05a178221.gif

29 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I wonder how you hurt your ribs while rowing, i guess its possible (like you indicate) but main thing to injure would be the back and lower back. 

7 hours ago, robblok said:

That is real annoying, injuries always are.  I have decided again to take it a bit slower (and will slow down a bit more for longer) as again i experienced some symptoms that were not nice sweating and sore all over. But.. it might not be 100% training related (though i think it has something to do with it) the GF was weak and sweating too and slept all day a few days ago. So its quite possible some kind of fever that is in my system but wont clear out completely as long as i don't properly rest my body.

When I was rowing I did have problems with my lower back, but more that i over used it. But that was because I also trained squats and dead lifts real hard. Its a bit hard to take off time though I know it is a good thing. Its more the routine of things. I don't worry about muscle loss and stuff like that. 

Could an NSAID like cerebex help you ?

Since I got the rower my lower back problems have been 'cured'. However, it was a muscle problem not a spinal one. 

I have to be careful with NSAIDs because I have allergies to many of them. However, Mobic seems to be one I can use. However, I don't use it often. At the moment I am taking a muscle relaxant (Epirisone) only. No rowing today and my pack seems okay, but my rib area is still sore. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I wonder how you hurt your ribs while rowing, i guess its possible (like you indicate) but main thing to injure would be the back and lower back. 

I think it was caused when pulling the handle. Probably over exerting myself. Last year I had absolutely no problems. As mentioned, my lower back problems disappeared. The pain for the past few days was in the muscle down the right side of my spine. About level with the bottom of my shoulder blades and around the lower part of my rib-cage. I haven't been able to find anything online about my specific problems. Most posts are about lower or upper back pain, not higher middle. Anyway, the problem in the middle of my back seems to have been solved after my wife used a hot poultice on it last night. I might actually do some rowing tomorrow, but if I do will take it steady.  I will continue to bear the pain in my rib area. 

Decided to do the loaded carries a bit less every other day now and start to eat a bit more (so i eat enough and don't lose weight). Then take an other go at weight loss in august and september. I am quite happy with how i look now, i want to be leaner but hitting too many wals right now to go on. 

I think a break from weight loss and giving my body time to fully recover and get used to having enough food again (without gaining weight) and then go back at weight loss once I am fully rested might help. Its not a race anymore, i got time and want everything to be good before trying it again. 

It seems the loaded carries have helped with my shoulder and traps development or its just more visible with the fat that has been lost. Either way i like the results. 

Started back on doing push ups last night after being off them for more than a year due to shoulder impingement which I believe was actually caused by push ups. Will take it slowly this time.  Pain in the back has gone. Ribs still painful when sneezing but back on the rower too. 

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Started back on doing push ups last night after being off them for more than a year due to shoulder impingement which I believe was actually caused by push ups. Will take it slowly this time.  Pain in the back has gone. Ribs still painful when sneezing but back on the rower too. 

What I have heard and read about push ups is that they are quite useful and not too taxing on the body. I still prefer weights mainly because its hard to progress with push ups when you can't increase the weight. But I do believe that its quite a good exercise to start with. Some people can do push ups with one hand... I am either not strong enough or not enough balance or both. 

Last 3 sessions

32.75kgs 1km

35.25kgs 680m

36.5kgs 440m

Got the flu last week so missed a week. Today was a bit flat as I trained row variations  yesterday and they hit my forearms a fair bit.

Rest tomorrow then aim for a good session on Friday

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

Won't be long before I hit 40kgs. When I do instead of going up in weight all the time I will reduce rest times between carries to increase intensity.

How much rest do you take in between ? for me a max of 20 seconds. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

How much rest do you take in between ? for me a max of 20 seconds. 

I havent measured it but it is more like 40 to 60 secs. Sometimes more towards the end. I will time it next session and see.

I think 20 secs is good. I will aim towards that target.

How many carries do you do in a session?

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

Won't be long before I hit 40kgs. When I do instead of going up in weight all the time I will reduce rest times between carries to increase intensity.

Given how fast your distance is dropping it won't be hard to hit 40 kg.. i mean its not as if your doing it for the same distance as you did with the lighter weight. So it should be easy to get there as your sacrificing distance to get there. That will probably mean you burn less calories but have a better chance at gaining muscle. I must say my traps and shoulder have improved even though I was on a diet so it obviously helped a bit.

I had flu like symptoms too that is why i backed off and I almost had muscle soreness all the time (never had that before only after extreme sessions) . I am going back to it now maybe every other day. But I am no longer on a diet, I will increase foods till my weight stays stable. I am now as lean or leaner as i was before, the jeans show as much (belt actually). But again at a higher weight as last time so it seems im still building some muscle over the years.

Will start an other weight loss session in august, i feel my body needs a rest for now and often the body responds better to weight loss after a period of normal eating. 

I am pleased with myself, tough I wanted to go on losing weight but I just feel my body is not recovering well enough now. As I am now lean and looking good its not a direct necessity to push on. I have given myself to november to get in the best shape ever (that is why my brother visits). So i still got plenty of time. 

Just now, Justfine said:

I havent measured it but it is more like 40 to 60 secs. Sometimes more towards the end. I will time it next session and see.

I think 20 secs is good. I will aim towards that target.

How many carries do you do in a session?

Now I just do 25 kg and 1250-1400 meters. Not sure how many times i drop them that can vary a bit but the distance gets less and less in the end I only go for 60 meters at a time.  While the first time I could do 540-670 meters.. fun to see how much it goes down over time.

It's funny cause the first session on a new weight the distance drops but the 2nd session usually jumps up a fair bit. I tend to listen to the muscles on the day and give them as much work as they want without pushing above 90%.

7 minutes ago, Justfine said:

It's funny cause the first session on a new weight the distance drops but the 2nd session usually jumps up a fair bit. I tend to listen to the muscles on the day and give them as much work as they want without pushing above 90%.

I don't listen that much to my muscles though of course you got days that can do more push more. But in general I always get the distance I want even if it takes longer. Unlike you I have to decide per round of 260 meters because once i start a round I have to complete it (ok if less then half way I could go back but once half way there is no point)

Archived