back to training - loaded carries

robblok

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes, i found it real unusual too.. never noticed it with any other exercise that was why i mentioned it. It was mainly grip strength that was failing. 

It's more about grip endurance than strength. It's a shame you didn't do the grip test in the gym and time how long you can hold onto a heavy barbell so you could test how much it has improved. For example, see how long you can hold a 100kg barbell, or how long you can hold your body weight on a chin-up bar.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

My pal had some serious side effects when taking yohimbine. Not trying to be a smart ass. Cheers

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-759/yohimbe

Yes some people are sensitive to yohimbe hcl... it all depend when you take it and how much. I feel it and it seems to work for me.  This morning i woke up to the lowest weight in ages and my abs lower abs and love handles are getting more defined. Supplements like that are not for everyone. 

18 hours ago, tropo said:

Don't underestimate the benefit of cooler weather. A few degrees can make a big difference to energy levels. 

Do you not wear a heart rate monitor?

No I dont wear a heart rate monitor, to be honest before I was so interested in numbers now I just do what I have to do and see the results slowly appear.

9 hours ago, robblok said:

No I dont wear a heart rate monitor, to be honest before I was so interested in numbers now I just do what I have to do and see the results slowly appear.

The rate of your heart is not a trivial number.

Not this year, but several years earlier I used to do very intense cardio workouts in the park, which included fast stair climbing and bodyweight exercises such as pull-ups, push-ups, dips, step-ups, log presses etc. I'd do the stair climbing and the other exercises in a giant circuit. At times I pushed my heart rate into the high 170's, usually at the top of about 200 steps. (my calculated max was 163 at the time). I noticed about a 10 bpm difference in heart rate on hot days compared to cool days. I used to do this training in the cooler months (so we did have some cool days although not many), from November until February, going back indoors when the weather heated up in March. My performance on cooler days was substantially higher and I was energetic by comparison. It's not rocket science. Your body must maintain 37C. When the weather is in the low 30's at high humidity, it doesn't take a lot of physical activity to overheat your body and, you're probably not doing your fitness endeavours any favours. The bigger and more muscular you are, the more heat you will produce. These workouts of mine were quite long, over an hour. I'd be physically wiped out for the rest of the day.

OK, this may sound boring and what is the point you may ask. It's because by wearing an HRM you can control how hard you work. If it's very hot, you reduce the intensity to maintain your same target heart rate. Once I'd seen the effect of the heat on my HR, I used to HRM to dictate how hard I would push myself. I would rest longer or climb slower. Most of us exercise to maintain our health. We're not competing and most of us are older. There's no need to have a heart attack in our efforts to improve our fitness. A large percentage of heart attacks come as a surprise with no symptoms.

I meant to ask, but here it seems more appropriate. Have you had an ECG (EKG) done? I hadn't and just had one done recently. I was not pleased to see that my QTc (QT interval) was 450 ms. The test said normal, but upon further investigation, I discovered that is borderline long QTc. (It should be below 430 ms). This means my heart has a higher chance of going into ventricular fibrillation. That's a risk factor for sudden death. I'll need to do more testing to verify my first ECG result.

Sudden death by heart attack in even fit athletes is well documented. I like to keep a close eye on my heart rate when I'm really pushing it. When I push it high (above 150 for me), I don't keep it up there for long. After a layoff my heart rate monitor is even more important as with diminished fitness it will go too high more easily.

Disclaimer: My post above is for information purposes only and all opinions expressed are my own. 

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

The rate of your heart is not a trivial number.

Not this year, but several years earlier I used to do very intense cardio workouts in the park, which included fast stair climbing and bodyweight exercises such as pull-ups, push-ups, dips, step-ups, log presses etc. I'd do the stair climbing and the other exercises in a giant circuit. At times I pushed my heart rate into the high 170's, usually at the top of about 200 steps. (my calculated max was 163 at the time). I noticed about a 10 bpm difference in heart rate on hot days compared to cool days. I used to do this training in the cooler months (so we did have some cool days although not many), from November until February, going back indoors when the weather heated up in March. My performance on cooler days was substantially higher and I was energetic by comparison. It's not rocket science. Your body must maintain 37C. When the weather is in the low 30's at high humidity, it doesn't take a lot of physical activity to overheat your body and, you're probably not doing your fitness endeavours any favours. The bigger and more muscular you are, the more heat you will produce. These workouts of mine were quite long, over an hour. I'd be physically wiped out for the rest of the day.

OK, this may sound boring and what is the point you may ask. It's because by wearing an HRM you can control how hard you work. If it's very hot, you reduce the intensity to maintain your same target heart rate. Once I'd seen the effect of the heat on my HR, I used to HRM to dictate how hard I would push myself. I would rest longer or climb slower. Most of us exercise to maintain our health. We're not competing and most of us are older. There's no need to have a heart attack in our efforts to improve our fitness. A large percentage of heart attacks come as a surprise with no symptoms.

I meant to ask, but here it seems more appropriate. Have you had an ECG (EKG) done? I hadn't and just had one done recently. I was not pleased to see that my QTc (QT interval) was 450 ms. The test said normal, but upon further investigation, I discovered that is borderline long QTc. (It should be below 430 ms). This means my heart has a higher chance of going into ventricular fibrillation. That's a risk factor for sudden death. I'll need to do more testing to verify my first ECG result.

Sudden death by heart attack in even fit athletes is well documented. I like to keep a close eye on my heart rate when I'm really pushing it. When I push it high (above 150 for me), I don't keep it up there for long. After a layoff my heart rate monitor is even more important as with diminished fitness it will go too high more easily.

Disclaimer: My post above is for information purposes only and all opinions expressed are my own

You do have a point, but the reason I said its pointless for me is that I am walking with 2 weights in my hands. I have no way to check the heart rate monitor even if I wanted to. I get your point about a heart attack and your right it is of course a danger.  I might use one and check the heart rate during the stops. 

In my mind i saw heart rate as caloric burn and i really don't believe in that anymore just like I don't believe in eating 500 cals less and really losing half a pound of fat. Now I just look at what is happening not what should be happening theoretically.

I might be doing the ECG ( believe I done one a while back that was good, was included in a package).

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

You do have a point, but the reason I said its pointless for me is that I am walking with 2 weights in my hands. I have no way to check the heart rate monitor even if I wanted to. I get your point about a heart attack and your right it is of course a danger.  I might use one and check the heart rate during the stops. 

In my mind i saw heart rate as caloric burn and i really don't believe in that anymore just like I don't believe in eating 500 cals less and really losing half a pound of fat. Now I just look at what is happening not what should be happening theoretically.

I might be doing the ECG ( believe I done one a while back that was good, was included in a package).

Maybe it's worthwhile if training hard. The HR monitors on treadmills are grossly inaccurate. I stopped even looking. Jumps all over the placem

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

That's the thing Rob, my ECG came back with comment: Within normal limits.

It wasn't until I started investigating the meaning of the various parameters that I discovered that I'm actually borderline long QT, with 4 times greater risk of sudden heart attack than levels below 430 ms. A quick glance at 450 ms compared to 430 ms and you wouldn't think anything of it, but very small differences are important in these tests.

I bought the cheap Garmin FR70 wrist receiver on eBay to use with the Garmin strap that comes with the Concept2 Rower. All you'd do is start it before you start walking, and then stop it when you're finished, then load it to the computer for a profile of your heart rate over the time you walked.

I agree with you regarding the correlation of heart rate to calorie burn. I doubt the higher HR numbers you achieve when you're overheating in hot weather correlates well with calories burned. It's just the body's desperate effort to lower the body temperature rather than extra calories burned during the exercise... but the increased rate will slow as significantly more calories burnt over the session. The same happens if you're under some type of emotional stress when you use HRM's. Your readings can go very high with little effort due to an adrenaline rush. This is one reason why some professional coaches don't like to use them for competitive athletes because (bad) mood can affect the readings. Even caffeine could affect readings. Of course, if you're using the calories burnt function of the rower, that correlates well as it is based on energy expended rather than heart rate.

Incidentally, in an air-conditioned room with fans, my Garmin receiver's calorie burn correlated perfectly with calories burned displayed on my PM5 rowing monitor.

35 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

That's good news - I love my eggs LOL

Here's some more good news for dairy lovers:

Regular fat dairy products DO NOT raise total cholesterol or LDL:

https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/7/6/1041/4568638

And even if you don't believe that:

Higher cholesterol is associated with longer life:

https://medium.com/the-mission/higher-cholesterol-is-associated-with-longer-life-b4090f28d96e

and:

People with high cholesterol live the longest:

http://www.ravnskov.nu/2015/12/27/myth-9/

Here's to a long life with lots of dairy products and eggs.... cheers!

19 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Maybe it's worthwhile if training hard. The HR monitors on treadmills are grossly inaccurate. I stopped even looking. Jumps all over the placem

Yes, the ones built into machines where you have to hold a sensor plate are quite useless in my experience. You need a strap and receiver for accuracy. The concept2 connects with a Garmin strap and it's spot on. My PM5 monitors (rower and SkiErg) give exactly the same readings as my Garmin wrist strap.

12 minutes ago, tropo said:

That's the thing Rob, my ECG came back with comment: Within normal limits.

It wasn't until I started investigating the meaning of the various parameters that I discovered that I'm actually borderline long QT, with 4 times greater risk of sudden heart attack than levels below 430 ms. A quick glance at 450 ms compared to 430 ms and you wouldn't think anything of it, but very small differences are important in these tests.

I bought the cheap Garmin FR70 wrist receiver on eBay to use with the Garmin strap that comes with the Concept2 Rower. All you'd do is start it before you start walking, and then stop it when you're finished, then load it to the computer for a profile of your heart rate over the time you walked.

I agree with you regarding the correlation of heart rate to calorie burn. I doubt the higher HR numbers you achieve when you're overheating in hot weather correlates well with calories burned. It's just the body's desperate effort to lower the body temperature rather than extra calories burned during the exercise... but the increased rate will slow as significantly more calories burnt over the session. The same happens if you're under some type of emotional stress when you use HRM's. Your readings can go very high with little effort due to an adrenaline rush. This is one reason why some professional coaches don't like to use them for competitive athletes because (bad) mood can affect the readings. Even caffeine could affect readings. Of course, if you're using the calories burnt function of the rower, that correlates well as it is based on energy expended rather than heart rate.

Incidentally, in an air-conditioned room with fans, my Garmin receiver's calorie burn correlated perfectly with calories burned displayed on my PM5 rowing monitor.

Just curious how can someone with your excellent cardio health have a problem with your ECG ? I would consider you far better at cardio then me. I never really thought of the risk of a heart attack (maybe during really heavy dead-lifts) though I must admit the loaded caries are quite heavy too.

I might just buy a cheap heart rate monitor if I can connect it to my phone, already taking my phone with my during the loaded caries for the music.

Good news for me.. I am back at my lowest lean state before.. setting 4 on my belt. So whatever goes off now means leaner then before. I am now again dutifully stepping on my scales that log it on the internet. 

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

I bought a Polar HR monitor. It syncs with cell phone and Concept2 rower. It uses bluetooth.

Thanks, ill keep it in mind. Thanks for the advice.  (just wondering can you have more then 2 blue tooth devices connect to the same phone). I got my blue tooth headset connected to the phone.

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Thanks, ill keep it in mind. Thanks for the advice.  (just wondering can you have more then 2 blue tooth devices connect to the same phone). I got my blue tooth headset connected to the phone.

Yes, you can. I have my earphones connected too and my rower.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Just curious how can someone with your excellent cardio health have a problem with your ECG ? I would consider you far better at cardio then me. I never really thought of the risk of a heart attack (maybe during really heavy dead-lifts) though I must admit the loaded caries are quite heavy too.

I might just buy a cheap heart rate monitor if I can connect it to my phone, already taking my phone with my during the loaded caries for the music.

Good news for me.. I am back at my lowest lean state before.. setting 4 on my belt. So whatever goes off now means leaner then before. I am now again dutifully stepping on my scales that log it on the internet. 

I've heard of very fit people dying in the gym or during other exercises - much fitter than me. I noticed a strange sensation in the chest a couple of weeks ago in the gym, and then a few more times. It's like a palpitation, but as I've never had it before I don't know what it is... but it scared me. I had a rare incidence of light-headedness on the rowing machine too. That's only happened one time, but I'm keeping a close eye on how I feel.

My father died from his 2nd heart attack at age 49. I think I've been very remiss (read: stupid), not having my heart checked more closely before now. I'll do another ECG somewhere else and compare results before I decide on further options.

If Tropo stops posting, he probably died in the gym doing squats, deadlifts, rowing or SkiErging. I'll ask my wife to contact you in case, so she can sell you my SkiErg for a good price... and maybe you can help her sell my rowing machine and other equipment on here.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I remember you saying your Garmin chest strap broke. Whatever you get, make sure you get a paired wrist receiver so you can use it outdoors. Personally, I would stay with Garmin as I believe it is superior in quality and it's the native strap for the Concept2 machines. I had a polar a couple of years ago and chest strap did not last long. I've just got the basic FR70 receiver, but you could get a more advanced one that record the distance of your farmers walks using GPS data. I just needed basic heart rate data and got the cheapest in the Garmin range for that purpose.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Probably genetics. Super fit ironmen and trialthletes have dropped dead in their 40s from heart attacks.

Plus if you push your body to the limit many times I would imagine it strains the heart and it's like any muscle in that too much is a bad thing.

Static holds of more than 90 secs are considered bad for you as they raise your blood pressure. Farmers walk isnt static but I wonder what impact it has on blood pressure and hr.

7 hours ago, tropo said:

That's good news - I love my eggs LOL

Here's some more good news for dairy lovers:

Regular fat dairy products DO NOT raise total cholesterol or LDL:

https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/7/6/1041/4568638

And even if you don't believe that:

Higher cholesterol is associated with longer life:

https://medium.com/the-mission/higher-cholesterol-is-associated-with-longer-life-b4090f28d96e

and:

People with high cholesterol live the longest:

http://www.ravnskov.nu/2015/12/27/myth-9/

Here's to a long life with lots of dairy products and eggs.... cheers!

Trouble is most milk products arent real milk.

I had a great session too, did 6 rounds instead of the normal 5 1/2 this is the second time now if I can keep it up I will increase the weight. Its the second time now that I did 6 rounds. I do this fasted in the morning with a bit of Yohimbine HCL and some cafeine. I think without the supplements I would be able to go further as it makes me a bit jittery but as Yohimbine is supposed to go after belly fat its worth a try.

I am not increasing things too fast as I also lift heavy 4 times a week and too much will burn me out for sure. Today reached one of my leanest figures in years. So from now on I am in uncharted territory. I think I want to lose an other 4 kg at that weight I should be close to those fitness models. (or so I hope) the more you lose the more you realize there is more to lose. 

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

I had a great session too, did 6 rounds instead of the normal 5 1/2 this is the second time now if I can keep it up I will increase the weight. Its the second time now that I did 6 rounds. I do this fasted in the morning with a bit of Yohimbine HCL and some cafeine. I think without the supplements I would be able to go further as it makes me a bit jittery but as Yohimbine is supposed to go after belly fat its worth a try.

I am not increasing things too fast as I also lift heavy 4 times a week and too much will burn me out for sure. Today reached one of my leanest figures in years. So from now on I am in uncharted territory. I think I want to lose an other 4 kg at that weight I should be close to those fitness models. (or so I hope) the more you lose the more you realize there is more to lose. 

Is one lap 260m? I forget what you said.

5 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Is one lap 260m? I forget what you said.

Yes 260 meters, but i estimate that by counting the houses, i know how wide a house is but its an estimate a wheel tool would be better to check it. But I think its a bit overkill just to buy one to see if I am right.

wheelmeasure2-700x700.jpg

9 minutes ago, Justfine said:

No that's the difference between left and right. Hence the weakness on one side 

Yes my dominant arm is also bigger as my other arm (strange that its still weaker) though now It seems both arms are equally strong.

Archived