Buying a car 2.5m baht budget

RAZZELL

8 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

I am still wondering why anybody who has enough money to buy new would buy second hand ? Do you really fancy having problems ?

If you can, buy any of the cheapest benz or bmw, they are anyway a lot more fun than any japanese toys made for people who cannot buy better.

You can buy a two year old BMW or Mercedes from a main dealer with less than 20k miles and save 1m baht that's why :wink:

RAZZ

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm... OK... why buy a car at all when there are Taxi's ???? 

Why eat nice food when street food is so cheap?

Why drink wine when Lao Khao costs pittance?

Exactly - "price" and "value" are all subjective to the purchaser.

A Papaya costs 20 baht or so in Thailand yet £7 in the UK. My wife still buys them :wink:

RAZZ

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

There are always one rotten apple out there, but in general most tents just clean up the cars and sell them. It is a simple business.

There are so many ways to check and double check the car.

- Blue book is a good start as some cars have been driven years on red plates and the registration date is way off.

- Check the VIN number online.

- For newer cars, less than 30-40,000 km, week/year of the tyres should match the age of the car.

- Open a door panes and check the date stamp of an airbag. It should only be 3-6 month older than the car.

- Some older Mercedes have date stamps in window panels.

- With the right key movements and entering a default password, you can see the date of the software in my BMW.

That's how you guys do it then...I have to say I'm lost when buying second hand cars, so don't...just like I'm not a farmer so not interested in buying tracts of farmland in the north, but it's good to see some tips on what to look for.

59 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Why waste so much money on a car especially in Bangkok because come the rainy season it will end up submerged as BKK is renowned for so much flooding hence one of the reason why I would never buy a car with Bangkok number plates a couple of years ago Bangkok was submerged in water so deep even the car manufacturers had to close you would be better off buying an average car and with the savings a small rib boat to use during the floods 

This post is rather funny, replies range from Spotty Oiks with a Baseball Cap on Backwards, to Fat Old Coffin Dodgers like Me, who couldn't care less anymore..just stay safe.:stoner:

Depends on whether you're looking for a premium brand name,  We got a Civic turbo which is close enough to GTI (nearly), but in economy mode is pretty Frugal.

Friend just got a CR-H which is family orientated, not too big and drives competently on these roads.  If you're going to be spending a lot if time in BKK stop/starting, then I'd strongly suggest a Hybrid for the next few years - the transition from electric to gasoline is undetectable - it's just strangely silent other than the tyres.

Had the Fortuna previously.  Will never buy another.  Do you want to max your budget or spend only what gets the job done

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HampiK said:

In the next few days I will go to the Bangkok motor show and check the different cars out. So hopefully I will know afterwards which car I should buy.

I already drove the Mazda CX-5, Benz GLA 250 and Toyota C-HR (I know not exactly all the same type of cars)

I'd very interested in your review after the show.

I like the look of Toyota CHR but on the website, it looks like top spec model (with all safety features) are only available for hybrid engine which produce very low horsepower which is disappointing. 

Myself, I am leaning toward purchasing Subaru XV in next few months (unless I said <deleted> it and go after GLA 250 which has close to 200 HP).  I'm interested in high riding vehicle that's small enough for urban driving.  I already have a Honda City which is fairly boring to drive.

I was interested in Mazda CX-3 but my Thai friends think their customer service is below par.  I'd be interested to hear feedbacks from any Mazda owners in BKK.

Edited by HidyHo
  • Like 1

< The car would be just for down the shops and dropping my wife off to the Airport Link for work...also the occasional run "up country" or a road trips for weekends away>

for these occasional jobs I recommend a taxi (make a contract with a guy for fixed-time trips, still more convenient and inexpensive cpd. to a car)

If you are friend with government and also fancy high end watches go for imported cars to show them your support (as a nice part of what you pay for goes to Blancpain euh, no, tax collectors). If you want value for money (and tempted to say hassle-free too) go local (Honda, Toyota... Or eventually Volvo it's Malesian, less taxes). 

I wouldn't buy a second-hand pushbike in this country.  No idea what you are buying, maybe from a main dealer but then you'll over-pay.  Best value in this place - New Honda, Civic or Accord.  Accord and a Civic and have change on your budget.

Honda anything come to think of it.

Why would you want a car in Bangkok for those few trips. As Thurien said make a contract with a taxi for your regular requirements. Taxis and sky train / underground, even buses are more than adequate, and you don't have the expensive outlay, the maintenance, insurance, congested driving (queuing), parking problems, nervous tension, inevitable prang repairs, police 'tolls' to deal with.

Hire a car for out of town trips away. 

You'll save a fortune and your sanity!

Well, it's your money you can choose how to spend or waste it.  As for myself and probably many others, I don't need a BMW, MERC or any other car in the same price range to get me around town, go to Big C and take short trips. Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Ford and others have vehicles that will take me from point A to B and back for a lot less.  

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Why would you want a car in Bangkok for those few trips. As Thurien said make a contract with a taxi for your regular requirements. Taxis and sky train / underground, even buses are more than adequate, and you don't have the expensive outlay, the maintenance, insurance, congested driving (queuing), parking problems, nervous tension, inevitable prang repairs, police 'tolls' to deal with.

You wrote exactly what I would write. Traffic in BKK is worse than Los Angeles, mainly because it is parked for long periods of time. You have to be ting tong to drive in that nightmare. I live just outside Korat and we have two cars, but many times if the lady is in town I will take the Songthaew as it is a breeze and a whole 9 baht. It gets me there in twenty minutes or less, much the same as the car. But I get to sit opposite some of the most beautiful Thai women and enjoy them. I have no desire to be involved with them as I am perfectly happy with my very funny Thai lady who cracks me up every day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Manny said:

Man you had it right the first time. Get the Pajero or a New Fortuner if you want to retain better re-sale value when you sell it in future. Man with the roads, the floods, the incredible driving and safety standards abounding, when Somsuck hits me I want to be in a Pajero. When the flash Flood hits, I want to be in a Pajero, when the death pot holes and road surface from hell appear, I want to be in a Pajero, when I service the car I don't want to bend over and touch my toes while Somsuck hands me the triple billing, I want to be in a Pajero. Buy the Pajero because if it saves your life or bank balance once it was worth it, or just go buy a Benz and be another Farang with a target on your ass. Get a 4WD & have fun on the weekends.

If your going to keep the car ten years the Pajero is 1.5 new or 800K-1M second hand, Save your 1.0 M for interest at the bank or a second car ?

Brother-in-law has a Pajero Sport - it's an ok drive for what it is - but I'm sorry you can't compare it to the Mercedes C Class Estate I drive in the uk.

A "target" because you have a Benz? There's a load of them on our estate...it's not exactly a 911...

RAZZ

• Like 1

Indeed, why deal with those clunky old piles of junk? Here's a nice little Bangkok runaround, suitable for dropping off the wife or running around up country; Mercedes Coupe E350 CGi AMG, Charcoal Grey, with black and red leather interior, 2012, but only 48kkm, B2.7M on siammotorworld.com

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

The way you speak it is clear that you have never driven a Benz or BMW.

No Japanese car even for 2 millions can compare with the cheapest Benz or BMW.

I even checked the top camry and the top accor for 1.7 millions and compared to even the cheapest CLA benz, you feel like driving a truck with a motorbike engine.

I understand that not everybody can buy a German car, but people dont pay double price at least of any Japanese car just for a badge. They are clearly better to drive and mine even saved my life few times when having to avoid a box that a shit truck lost on the road. No Camry, Accor or SUV could have allowed to avoid the box and come back to my lane at the speed I was going.

C'mon. I was driven a C class Mercedes 3 Years. My new Mazda CX5 ( 1,5 Mio Baht) here is the better Car over All. To avoid a Box on Street you dont need a Benz, BMW or what else.

Edited by ujayujay
  • Haha 1

You are right about devaluation. A friend just sold his BMW SUV, Diesel, top of the line, just  5 years old, with 45000 Km, for THB 900000. He paid 3 million brand new. If you are looking only for a medium size SUV ..... Mazda 5 , Subaru AWD. or a Nissan Hibryd AWD....Smaller one?..The new Toyota RV4..... to never have worrries about maintenance and repairs cost.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Rather an opinionated and unwarranted offensive comment.

What the hell has being a vegan got to do with it, and no I'm not by the way.

Have you ever driven in Bangkok?

Yes I have driven in BKK and used the rail thing a couple of times. The thought of using public transport and getting to it on a daily basis for me would be horrendous unless one had too..

Ooops, I missed out car.."car vegan"....:laugh:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tofer said:

Rather an opinionated and unwarranted offensive comment.

What the hell has being a vegan got to do with it, and no I'm not by the way.

Have you ever driven in Bangkok?

Well he didnt say Ferang English Teacher, another bunch of penniless nutters

15 hours ago, Tofer said:

Hardly good advice.  Bit like advising someone to stay home and have a Barclay's rather than popping out for a BJ coz it's cheaper and safer.  Dude wants a flash motor, up to him.

• Like 2

If you wanted a new car I would choose BMW 320D for a general use car. Quite spacious inside and warranty service etc makes it better than Mercedes for running.

As for second hand for 2.5m you can get a decent e class , 5 series and also Audi Q5 . I looked at some Q5 in bkk and the condition of them was immaculate with hardly any mileage at all on them .Would be my choice for SUV type vehicle if I was looking for that over a car .

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DavisH said:

Go and drive a new accord hybrid and then a benz CLA then come back and tell me how they compare. The CLA seems to ride of Taiwanese struts...."sporty" and not so comfortable....and most imports are less reliable over the long run that Japanese cars. That's a fact. 

Very very funny ! I drove a new accor hybrid and it cannot compare to any of the cheapest benz. You really do not know what you are talking about. That's a fact. And I am not a cheap charlie enough to have to chose the most reliable car even if it drives like a truck and is ugly ! I am not Thai, I have a face.

20 hours ago, baansgr said:

Apart from I want to be better than the Jones I never can understand why people would buy German or any other highly taxed car here, Mitsubishi etc offer good quality at a fraction  of the cost of these imports. Why pay double or triple the price you would in Europe especially when it's going to the Government coffers. MG now offer a good range although not sure of the quality as of yet. 

I've had beemers,  Mercedes and Volvo in the UK yet find my Mitsubishi is on a Par with these. 

Yes, I also have a Ferrari and a Lambo in Italy...

Funny people :-)

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The days of BMW and Mercedes-Benz being worth the money have been over since the early 1990's. Nowadays all one is paying for is the prestige of the badge. Most full-size modern cars produced by the Japanese and Koreans have just as many bells and whistles such as ABS, ESC, adaptive cruise control etc. etc. at half the cost and are frequently built better, if one goes by the websites that list new car fault or warranty claim frequency.

Mazda and Hyundai seem to be market leaders in terms of reliability, maintenance costs and value for money.

You perfectly don't know what you are talking about.

Go drive any new benz and any new toyota and honda, then if you do not realize how wrong you are, you have a very big problem.