Pacific Cross health insurance ?

Orton Rd

59 minutes ago, HLover said:

Do you recommend using an insurance broker or signing up with PC directly?  Other members with experience please feel free to answer as well, cheers.

If you stay in Bangkok, I would recommend to talk directly with PC, as their office is in the Sathorn area near the BTS Surasak.

They have different foreign people. You can find them speak English, German or some other languages, which help you if you have questions.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/29/2018 at 2:05 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One of the good things about PC, relative to other Thai health insurers, is that if you take out a policy with them before a certain age, they'll continue to cover you even as you get older, provided you pay the premiums. A lot of other Thai insurers cut coverage for existing policy holders at a certain age.

Offset's post is interesting because PC has a premiums chart with their rates for each age band and type of policy. But it tops out at age 65. So as far as I know, there's no public document that tells anyone what their premiums will be for policy holders once they get past age 65. I've always wondered how much they'll escalate my premiums once I get past the age 65 point.

They also have two main different types of medical policies, Maxima and the higher coverage level Maxima Plus plans, and then lots of options within those -- having or not having OPD, many options for annual deductibles, no claim discounts, optional dental and eye coverage. So each person's premium situation is going to depend on their age and then also how their configure their policy details.

I've been with LMG and then PC for about eight years, since age 65. They do have age bands above 65, which are 66-70, 71-75, and so on, up to 86-90 (as far as I can see), but they do not publicise them.

I have always bought Maxima with no outpatient cover and a 40,000 baht deductible, which always seemed a fair compromise between cover and cost. My latest premium at age 72 was 144,000 baht odd at full cover, which reduced to 70,000 odd including a 20% no-claim bonus for never claiming.

Now I am claiming, for various procedures necessitating In-Patient stays, and PC's response has been just fine, using their pre-authorisation system processed by the hospital (all bureaucracy done by Samitivej, mercifully).

Any questions, just ask!

16 minutes ago, sprq said:

I have always bought Maxima with no outpatient cover and a 40,000 baht deductible, which always seemed a fair compromise between cover and cost. My latest premium at age 72 was 144,000 baht odd at full cover, which reduced to 70,000 odd including a 20% no-claim bonus for never claiming.

Thanks for that info.  Your PC Maxima policy configuration sounds very similar to mine, except I'm some years younger and have opted to have OPD coverage and also have the 40K deductible and have the no claims discount.

As a result, what I pay each year is substantially less than the official/posted rate for my age band, because of the combination of the substantial premium discount associated with the 40k annual deductible AND the no claims discount on top of that.

In another 10 years or so when I reach your age, I certainly could live with a then inflation adjusted health insurance premium here of 70,000b per year or so...   Although, at some point like you, I'll probably end up losing, at least temporarily, the no claims discount. But the good part is, after your policy claim, if you then don't have more claims in the next year or two, you can recover that discount again.

BTW - it will be interesting to see how much, if at all, PC increases your annual premium in the wake of your claim(s) -- apart from any age band adjustment.

My agent has told me that they don't do it automatically, and that rather, it's a calculation of how much you've paid in during the life of your policy vs the cost of your claim. In the insurance biz, I believe it's called a claims ratio. And then if your claims cost vs premiums paid total gets to be too high, then they'll adjust your future premiums. But I think the maximum they'll supposedly do in such a situation is an additional 25%....  I'm doing this from memory...

On 5/4/2018 at 8:51 AM, HLover said:

Do you recommend using an insurance broker or signing up with PC directly?  Other members with experience please feel free to answer as well, cheers.

Going back a while i seem to remember someone saying that it is a bit cheaper if you go direct but don't quote me on that one  ?

Incidentally i am not based in Bangkok but still go direct and have  found the service to be  fine as they always have a native English speaking sales director. 

• 8 months later...

A post of a defamatory nature has been removed, the reply was removed as well.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

Pacific Cross, I check a few pages but I guess this is as good as any place to put my thoughts about whether I should self fund my health coverage or continue to throw money to companies that don't really want to cover us older guys.

I was a bit spoiled when I was working always had good insurance when I came here 15 years ago I came with no insurance but soon after I joined an expat club and got into one of their plans what seem normal then was basically a 1 million baht policy that ran around 16,000 baht a year. I noticed year after year the premium would rise around 2-3,000 baht due to older members usages. Through the years I have jump ship with expat policy to try to get more for the baht particularly coverage went to LMG, Bupa, ACS, by the time I got to 60 years of age and never once made a claim with any of these companies the price was well over 50,000 for still the 1 million Baht policy. 

A few years back I signed up with a new Expat policy with AXA, for a million baht the premium was only 29,000 baht further review I noticed the 65-70 range premium was also reasonable but last year after renewal was told Pacific Cross was taking over the policy the premium wouldn't go up and that they were a better company that would cover us to 90 years old.

In the conversation, I noticed that was great but the difference in premium between AXA and Pacific Cross for the same 1 million policy was near 18,000 baht more plus I really had a reservation as to whether any company would keep their word to covering someone until 90 years old. First, what is the premium going to be for a 1 million baht and with inflation and the way hospital are rising their prices especially for farang what is that going to get me even at 80 years old?  Will I be paying 100,000 baht a year for the same 1 million coverage even if they couldn't cancel my policy they could raise the yearly premium so high it would make me stop purchasing?

As May approaches my yearly renewal was coming up and this morning a coffee buddy who is the same age with the same coverage broke the bad news to me I was surprised but not sure why since I've always had negative thoughts about coverage here.

Even though we have been covered by Pacific Cross and have not made any claims they want renewal applicants to go through a major physical at Bangkok/Pattaya (9,000) and will credit back the money if applicant accepts their terms to renewal meaning if they find conditions and you accept the policy that those conditions will not be covered you will be credited if not no money back. The 1 million policy 66-70 runs 48,000 baht up from 32,000 baht

Now agents said AXA has jumped back into the picture will provide coverage without a physical like before but they will not offer the 1 million baht policy instead coverage 300,000-400,000-500,00-600,000 baht price range from 24,115 to 72,329. Last year AXA had offered a minimum coverage at 700,000 baht for 31,000 baht, 1 million 33,000 for 600,000 max coverage they want now 72,329. Rip off!

The problem this year as noted I have my weakness and that weakness has caught up with me. I just came back from the U.S. prior to leaving for my trip I schedule a bunch of tests results my blood sugar is in the danger range and although I have changed my diet I believe it will still show up high if I took the physical now two months just isn't enough time and I'm not willing to buy a policy with the exclusion.

Purchasing AXA just doesn't seem even an option since I can cover 300,000-600,000 baht out of my savings. So right now just venting but I'm headed to self-funding knock on wood nothing happens and researching good government alternatives in the Pattaya area to Bangkok.  

Not knocking Thai Visa but notice lately lots of ads on Expat coverage seem pricey based on the coverage compare to the Thai companies that cover older expat here plus their age range only goes down to 1954, means you older than that you are out of luck coverage quote are very high U.S. prices which I don't need.

Getting old isn't fun at times living here!

...and never once made a claim with any of these companies the price was well over 50,000 for still the 1 million Baht policy.

This sounds appalling value for money.  At the same age I'm paying the same premium amount for more than 1 million USD of cover.... with zero excess and zero copay.

...BTW - it will be interesting to see how much, if at all, PC increases your annual premium in the wake of your claim(s) -

My comment below is more insurance-related than health-related, (but I can't move the original post!).

IMHO, the above is a nightmare scenario.  Why take out health cover when the insurer can increase your premiums if you make a claim?

Murphy's law suggests that you WILL have to make claims as you get older.  So you will end up with an increased premium, (perhaps pricing you out of continuing your insurance cover), and you'll probably have to make further claims.

I concede that my comments are of little reassurance if you are unable to obtain insurance cover with any of the companies who do not increase premiums if you make a claim...

22 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

What insurance companies are there that do not increase premiums after claims?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Cigna, Davidshield, BUPA International, Healthcare International etc - basically the 'real' expat insurance companies, not the 'dodgy' Thai companies...

46 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Cigna, Davidshield, BUPA International, Healthcare International etc - basically the 'real' expat insurance companies, not the 'dodgy' Thai companies...

From my research, I noticed Thai policy for Expats stating 1 million etc.  but when you are talking about Cigna, Bupa, their coverage is much better but you will be paying Western prices. As I noted I've seen a lot of Ads for coverage on this Website and checked into them basically as you noted International coverage very pricey plus quotes not given if you were born before 1954,  which is a good indication too old equals too many claims.

It seems once you get into a certain age like 66-70 you are getting into unknown territory and companies are there to make money heard it from AXA. For years I hear all this stuff about no cancellation etc.  but if they don't want you they will find a way!

but when you are talking about Cigna, Bupa, their coverage is much better but you will be paying Western prices.

True, but note my previous comments about Pacific Cross.  I pay the same premium for the same age and have $1.2 million cover, not 1 million baht cover, and my premiums will not increase individually if I make a claim.

From my research, I noticed Thai policy for Expats stating 1 million etc.  but when you are talking about Cigna, Bupa, their coverage is much better but you will be paying Western prices. As I noted I've seen a lot of Ads for coverage on this Website and checked into them basically as you noted International coverage very pricey plus quotes not given if you were born before 1954,  which is a good indication too old equals too many claims.

It seems once you get into a certain age like 66-70 you are getting into unknown territory and companies are there to make money heard it from AXA. For years I hear all this stuff about no cancellation etc.  but if they don't want you they will find a way!

Actually Thai policies are NOT less expensive than international ones unless you opt for unrealistically low levels of cover (i.e. less than a major hospitalization will cost you) which is a rather pointless thing to do IMO. If you compare premiums for say 3 million baht cover (the minimum worth getting if you want to be able to use private hospitals) Thai plans are as much or more than many international companies.

The health insurance market in Thailand is small since Thais have universal health care. As a result no economies of scale and available products are not very good deals.

When quotes are not available beyond a certain age it means the company does not issue new policies beyond that age. It does not mean they will not continue to insure you. Any policy worth considering guarantees lifetime cover. Current premium rates for older age bands can be gotten on request.

And then there is the likelihood of having your premiums rsised based on claims history which western based insurers do not do.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

I'm 63 paying 60k with Pacific Cross for 1.2 million cover. no excess, 1 claim of 50k which has increased the premium to 60k from 48k, I can only afford this cover so I'm stuffed should anything serious happen!!

I'm not sure what you mean about the 1.2 million baht cover...

In the past, Pacific Cross used to have two different kinds of limits that both applied -- one was a per episode limit, and the other was a lifetime policy limit. My Maxima policy used to have a 5M baht limit for the former, and 20M baht limit for the later.

Then in the last year or two, and I've confirmed this with PC, they dropped the former per episode limit on my policy entirely. So now the only limit that applies is the lifetime amount, which remains at 20M baht.  Plus of course, there's a nightly limit amount on hospital rooms charges, which is 8K for mine.

So when you talk about a 1.2M limit, I'm not clear what kind of limit you're talking about....  If that used to be your per episode limit, I'm guessing that limit doesn't exist anymore.

In the past, Pacific Cross used to have two different kinds of limits that both applied -- one was a per episode limit, and the other was a lifetime policy limit. My Maxima policy used to have a 5M baht limit for the former, and 20M baht limit for the later.

Then in the last year or two, and I've confirmed this with PC, they dropped the former per episode limit on my policy entirely. So now the only limit that applies is the lifetime amount, which remains at 20M baht.  Plus of course, there's a nightly limit amount on hospital rooms charges, which is 8K for mine.

So when you talk about a 1.2M limit, I'm not clear what kind of limit you're talking about....  If that used to be your per episode limit, I'm guessing that limit doesn't exist anymore.

My policy quotes maximum limit per disability/policy year 1,200,000 (Premier)

11 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

My policy quotes maximum limit per disability/policy year 1,200,000 (Premier)

Are you sure that limit is still in effect for the current/latest version of your policy?

Also, is your an individual (not group) policy written by Pacific Cross Thailand?

Because, as I said, PC dropped it from my Maxima policy a year or two back.... after having had it in effect since the very beginning of my coverage years ago.

Are you sure that limit is still in effect for the current/latest version of your policy?

Because, as I said, PC dropped it from my Maxima policy a year or two back.... after having had it in effect since the very beginning of my coverage years ago.

Renewed my policy 1 month ago.individuel policy.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Strange, my old Maxima policy use to have the same limit's as your old policy  i.e. 5M and 20M, but last years policy only mentions a Max Limit per Disability / Policy Year of 5M.

I suppose you could read that as not having a lifetime policy limit means i have no limit on Lifetime claim's.

Anyway i will have a word with them to clarify.

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

Strange, my old Maxima policy use to have the same limit's as your old policy  i.e. 5M and 20M, but last years policy only mentions a Max Limit per Disability / Policy Year of 5M.

I suppose you could read that as not having a lifetime policy limit means i have no limit on Lifetime claim's.

Anyway i will have a word with them to clarify.

The policy statements I've received from PC for the last two years have listed only the 20M baht limit, and no longer mentioned the 5M per episode limit. When I asked my agent and she checked with PC, she got back to me and said they no longer have the 5M limit.

But, when I looked on their website today for the Maxima policy, the website still lists both the 5M and 20M limit listings.... So now I'm confused... although, Thai companies often are notoriously slow and out of date in updating their websites.

On 4/25/2019 at 8:59 PM, thailand49 said:

The problem this year as noted I have my weakness and that weakness has caught up with me. I just came back from the U.S. prior to leaving for my trip I schedule a bunch of tests results my blood sugar is in the danger range and although I have changed my diet I believe it will still show up high if I took the physical now two months just isn't enough time and I'm not willing to buy a policy with the exclusion.

What are the "bunch of tests" that you had? I ask because if it is just fasting blood sugar there are a couple of things you can do to get that into normal range to pass a medical. 

I'm pretty sure that taking a drug like Metformin would drop your blood glucose pretty quickly though I'm not sure whether that is something that you would need to disclose or that they may test for.

A natural approach would be fasting for 3-4 days before the test. I have just finished a 7 day water fast and whereas my (morning) FBS is generally in the high nineties on day 2 of the fast it was 86, day 3 78, day 4 71 and day 5 it was 65.

Another thing is that many people are like me where my blood sugar is generally highest in the morning. So for me, having a blood test in the afternoon would always yield a lower FBS than the same test taken in the morning.

But if the insurance company's test included HbA1C (and yours is elevated) that would take a longer time to see a decent reduction.

@thailand49 what exactly do you mean by "danger range" ?

If you just mean pre-diabetic range (i.e. not yet diabetic but a warning level) then

1) Fasting blood sugar can be brought down pretty rapidly through proper diet. hb1ac would take longer but yours is probably not too high.

2) Cigna, and April will not require a physical exam. they will require a medical history but as long as you can truthfully say you have not been diagnosed with diabetes, take no medication for blood sugar then you are fine.

do not self medicate with metformin. Could be dangerous plus as soon as you start to take a medication for your blood sugar this becomes something you have to disclose on insurance form.

If on the other hand by "danger range" you mean that you have been diagnosed with full blown diabetes then you are, frankly, stuck. I am not clear if the AXA option you mention would be considered continuation of current insurance or a new policy, but if you are diagnosed diabetic then staying with current policy is pretty much all you can do. Get the highest option on offer (apparently 700k?) and try to put aside additional monies to cover the excess in case of a large claim. And use government hospitals rather than private for anything serious.

insurance premiums do rise with age, so comparisons to what you paid in the past are not meaningful. It does nto matter if you had no claims, the rates are based on actuarial risk.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you just mean pre-diabetic range (i.e. not yet diabetic but a warning level) then

1) Fasting blood sugar can be brought down pretty rapidly through proper diet. hb1ac would take longer but yours is probably not too high.

2) Cigna, and April will not require a physical exam. they will require a medical history but as long as you can truthfully say you have not been diagnosed with diabetes, take no medication for blood sugar then you are fine.

do not self medicate with metformin. Could be dangerous plus as soon as you start to take a medication for your blood sugar this becomes something you have to disclose on insurance form.

If on the other hand by "danger range" you mean that you have been diagnosed with full blown diabetes then you are, frankly, stuck. I am not clear if the AXA option you mention would be considered continuation of current insurance or a new policy, but if you are diagnosed diabetic then staying with current policy is pretty much all you can do. Get the highest option on offer (apparently 700k?) and try to put aside additional monies to cover the excess in case of a large claim. And use government hospitals rather than private for anything serious.

insurance premiums do rise with age, so comparisons to what you paid in the past are not meaningful. It does nto matter if you had no claims, the rates are based on actuarial risk.

I was home in the States in Feb prior to arriving I had schedule a checkup with my Doctor I'm on Medicare.  When I arrived I had already started my fasting 2 days before my blood test, I had schedule a full physical with the tread mill stuff, provided something Anthem Blue Cross does a Wellness examine hook me up with a bunch of wires to check my circulation.  Saw a E.N.T,  for whatever reason my blood test result didn't arrived until I left so my cousin scan the blood results to me not having it in front right now AC1 or something was like 6.4 noted high!

I was not surprise although I work out daily but not even close to two years back last time I got all those test past with flying colors each night I got into a bad habit of eating a large bag of potato chips and around two tubs of ice cream there are times I finish the evening with a Thai bag of pork skins loaded with grease and fat.

Love Soda water with carbonation which is also loaded with salt.

I checked into Cigna before the policy they have for Thailand I find is just too expensive before I turn 65 they wanted something like 2,500 USD a year which is a overkill since I already have medicare etc.

Now I might get heat for this but I don't have a problem lying a bit and taking medication to lower my blood sugar level if they can't detect it until I can do it on my own which I have gone cold turkey only been to Swenson once since return in Feb.  

I only got a few weeks before my old policy expires right now I headed to self funding my own health. Being Thailand I can't see not being cut off due to prices no matter how healthy I am. My mother just turn 101 in Feb I can't see myself living to that age here especially Thailand.  Personally, right now if I'm still here and something goes wrong I'm thinking in stepping in front of a tour bus or go down blazing with the BIB?

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I can find the test results now frustration!  I don't think I have full-blown diabetes the number I got for A1C is 6.15 the form indicates Pre.

I've had AXA for 4 years the 1 million policy at 32,000 baht for 66-70 when picking up the card agent said Pacific Cross would be covering us in 2019, that is when I notice PC price list for 2018 it was a jump for the same age range 46,000 baht, the selling point by the agent said better coverage and they will cover you until you are 90!  I was thinking whoopi and said that is great but what will the policy cost 120,000? and due to inflation and the way they double dip on us Farangs will the 1 million be worth like 400,000 by then?

So it is 2019, and Pacific Cross is saying if you want to continue to be covered 1 million got to take the physical and whatever they find will be excluded from coverage. My friend had Pacific Cross took the physical result Cholesterol a bit over the norm, PC said they will cover him but anything related to the Cholesterol wouldn't be covered, that pretty much gave PC a blank check to not cover half his body particularly his upper body anything related to his heart etc.  he decline. 

AXA 2019, doesn't offer a 700,000 baht policy any longer they will cover Expats maximum 600,000 baht and the premium for 66-70 is 73,000 baht that is more than double what they were charging for their 700,000 said covering old men can't make money!  Their lowest coverage is 300,000 baht something like 27,000 baht.

300k cover is ridiculous and not worth it.

If you want the option of using private hospitals you need AT LEAST 3 milllion baht cover, preferrably more -- there have been people on this board with bills for single hospitalization exceeding 3 million (though few.)

If you will use only government hospitals you need cover of 1 million and make sure your friends & family know to get you transferred out if you have been taken to a private hospital in an emergency. With such cover you can safely use private hospitals for minor things (e.g. endoscopies, cataracts) but don't make the mistake of using them for any major surgery etc even if the quoted price is under 1 million because any complications can send it way over.

These 1 and 3 million are for per event per year. If the policy instead has caps per year for all events then at least double it.

If you get a policy under these levels you need to have the difference set aside for use in case you exceed your insurance maximum.

Your Hb1ac level is not diabetic range but rather what is called "pre diabetes". I do not know how PC will treat that i.e. whether they would apply an exclusion or loading or not. You may have to apply first to fi d out. If they do, you could apply to have it removed later once you have brought it down which you need to do anyhow.

As I said before what you used to pay is not a valid point of comparison as no matter what policy you get premiums go up with age and at a higher level after age 60.

And there is a reason for this -- the odds of having a claim go way, way up as you age once you are on the wrong side of 60. Having had no claims in the past does not mean you'll have none in the future especially if you are in that age group. Even unusually fit and healthy older people inevitably face some health problems that need hospital treatment. And plenty of people incur catastrophic costs for sudden events despite having always been in excellent health before.

Many policies offer a deductible (excess) option which lowers your premium. That means that you agree to pay the first X amount yourself. Obviously you need to have that amount set aside. Common deductible amounts are from 500 - 5000 US. I know in the past when I priced it, one would come out ahead taking the 750 deductible with Cigna's Silver plan if you had even one year without a claim i.e. a no brainer to take it.

Taking a deductible is a much better idea than taking out a policy that has too low a cap IMO as your exposure is much less.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 7:41 PM, simoh1490 said:

The premiums etc are based on age and medical history and we're all different, there's no reason why you couldn't try and see how much they want.

They publish a table of premiums for various age ranges, down to the last Baht. The sales rep there told me that these are only inducative. So why is the one for a 71-75 year old shown as Bht 99,737 and not Bht 100,000 as they will change it if there is anything untoward in your test results.

Be aware that the Medical Repatriation clause says that it is back to the insured's country of residence......no good if you live in Thailand.

Also, any implants will not be covered until a 5 year wait.

Also, the no claims bonus is 10% for the first year, 5% for the second, but that is off the already discounted premium, and 10% for year 3. So assuming a Bht 100,000 premium, year 2 you would pay Bht 90,000...year 3 85,500 and year 4 ....76,950. If you opt for the 40,000 excess on any claim, it is really 50k as you lose your NCD.

40 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Be aware that the Medical Repatriation clause says that it is back to the insured's country of residence......no good if you live in Thailand.

That is true of pretty much any insurance and it is of definite use to people living in Thailand if they travel in the region, especially to neighboring countries where quality of health care is poor.

Archived