Tourists can't just come and do as they please, says Thai media

webfact

6 hours ago, merlin2002 said:

In Lawless Thailand this news story is laughable. To quote the good book "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"... :post-4641-1156693976:

The majority of Thais flout the law on a daily basis. They have zero regard for rules & regulations as they know they are not rigorously enforced by the police, and any infraction has minor consequences..

If it wasn't for tourism, Thailand would be less developed. How quickly they forget...

"If it wasn't for tourism, Thailand would be less developed".   Is that really possible?

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

This is why I don’t go inside temples or places where people are sensitive. Wondering if I’m doing something wrong or if I’m not dressed properly or wearing the correct colour, etc. Life’s too short for all of that. 

Showing your racist and xenophobic feelings through sanctimony isn’t a good idea when it comes to tourists. They bring money. Respect works both ways. 

I dont even go to the cinema as I refuse to kowtow.

When a sacred site is open to tourists and advertised to tourists. 

It is no longer a sacred site for worship. 

It is a tourist attraction. 

Tourists will do as tourists do. Sit in or on various places to take a picture and  post on fb. 

The haj is a sacred worship site. It is not open to tourists for selfies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

What you just wrote is a part of the education. You just have to see it out of their point of view. Understand or not understand is not of relevance. Understanding or not understanding is also optional, but it will be of importance for improvement of life here.

I dont think I could improve my life here in any way, I have a Wife  who supports me and we owe nothing to nobody, unlike many in the world, although I did start her off in business 12  years ago now with a small investment which led to me retiring due to her efforts.

I understand the Thais but not in a  way many here would find pleasant if I stated it and airing my views on most subjects  probably shows that anyway.

It is what it is,  but what it is is stupid

7 hours ago, merlin2002 said:

In Lawless Thailand this news story is laughable. To quote the good book "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"... :post-4641-1156693976:

The majority of Thais flout the law on a daily basis. They have zero regard for rules & regulations as they know they are not rigorously enforced by the police, and any infraction has minor consequences..

If it wasn't for tourism, Thailand would be less developed. How quickly they forget...

It's their country, Thailand is for Thais they can do what they want. Foreigners are just mere guests 

3 minutes ago, the guest said:

It's their country, Thailand is for Thais they can do what they want. Foreigners are just mere guests 

Actually they cant do what they like, those with the money tell them what to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well for the panty or beaver exposed selfies  in front of cultural sites, one must admit that it is of bad taste and offending...

Even though I was never lucky enough to this day, to get a quick glimpse in real life of some quality tourist ladies posing for such selfies !! :crazy:

Edited by observer90210

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut Chan-ocha should tell all authorities to inform tourists about acceptable behavior according to Thai cultural and social mores.

Huh?  Why doesn't 'all authorities' inform tourists? :whistling:

Why should PM tell all authorities how to do their jobs?! They should know what their job is - if not, get rid of them an appoint new ones who know what their job is!

Pack of wimps! :1zgarz5:

• Like 1

But Thai Rath the picture (quell horrour) you have shown us today has been de censored!  We are now exposed to a view of the lady's drawers!

I am now unable to unsee this and am now forever corrupted. Please issue a grovelling public apology, along with the piece of work who uploaded this on public media, and allow those of us who lead perfect and virtuous lives the opportunity to regain our innocence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, akirasan said:

If they're so offended why are they sharing the photo around everywhere?  :whistling:

Yeah...

With that sort of logic you may not last long in Thailand-but you will emerge  sane and rational,..:smile:

A nation that has never grown out of diapers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kannot said:

I dont think I could improve my life here in any way, I have a Wife  who supports me and we owe nothing to nobody, unlike many in the world, although I did start her off in business 12  years ago now with a small investment which led to me retiring due to her efforts.

I understand the Thais but not in a  way many here would find pleasant if I stated it and airing my views on most subjects  probably shows that anyway.

It is what it is,  but what it is is stupid

Can agree with you. In many cases it seems stupid to the naked eye. Like the tourist or something like that. Like you say it is what it is, and there is no reason to argue with it, because it´s going to stay the same. Nice to know that your small investment as well as mine panned out. I guess we just live the perfect life. :smile:

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

Still in the same little defensive line regarding how you believe and think the country should work. It doesn´t, and the more that realizies that, the more people will have a problem free life here.
If people do not want to respect Thai culture, there are two other options. Travel somewhere else, or stay home.

Can you elaborate a bit about which things foreigners sure have to respect about thai culture?

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yeah...

With that sort of logic you may not last long in Thailand-but you will emerge  sane and rational,..:smile:

A nation that has never grown out of diapers.

"A nation that has never grown out of diapers."

Where 'adults' still clamour to come, shamelessly.

21 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

She didn't disrespect Thai culture. She visited a temple in a long skirt which rode up her leg because of the way she was sitting. As I said before, it was an innocent mistake. The whole thing is a storm in a teacup. Utterly ridiculous. The very people that are meant to uphold Buddhist values are monks, who are always getting up to no good. Look at Prayuth. He's always waffling on about Thainess and Buddhist values etc., and all the while he's got his grubby little hands in the till.  What would Buddha say?  I don't see anyone getting their knickers in a twist over that. Total hypocrisy. Besides, from what I can gather after 11 years here, most Thais pray at temples for personal gain/luck. Hardly one of the tenants of Lord Buddha.

Just hope that you are not living in Thailand, if so your life must be terrible with so much disappointment on your mind.

39 minutes ago, Thian said:

Can you elaborate a bit about which things foreigners sure have to respect about thai culture?

The whole and all. If you choose to stay in or visit a country you must be able to live the life espected during your stay. If I am wrong, then you are free you advice me about the different thought that might concern your mind.

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

The whole and all. If you choose to stay in or visit a country you must be able to live the life espected during your stay. If I am wrong, then you are free you advice me about the different thought that might concern your mind.

Silly comment

• Like 2

I guess that most people in this forum does not understand my view of things in Thailand. If so, that´s perfectly okey. If you want an explaination, please keep on reading.

I am going to try the best I can to make a resonable explaination about what I think. I also know that its not going to be viewed in a good way by everybody, but who can plaese the masses.

When you are going to a foreign country, it doesn´t matter what country it is, then you must be travelling with a positive attitude to their culture and social behaviour. As an example we can take the chinese people that everybody sat is so bad. Yeah, I am aware of their beviour on the streets with pooping and things like that. I am not at all impressed. That´s the wrong approach. Hoe ever, that does not generally express the chinese population.

I am also aware of that many people are hinding out in Thailand as it would be some jind of paradise for crime. So far it´s been goood but that is starting to fade. Everyday we hre about the great crimebuster Hakpal and his achievents that acually gone international. I can only say that I love this man. He´s working his ass of to get rid of the shit everywhere.

Then we come to the point in this news article. A simple thing like not coming to a foreign country without knowledge. That in this case concerns religion, which is much harder enforced in many other countries. Off course tourist can´t come to a country and expect to be accepted with the wrong attitude and the wrong behaviour. if that ain´t clear to you people posting in this forum, it is a really sad story. It beginns with understanding, and it develops into knowledge, and for the few sorry asses that can´t get a grip of that, I just want to say merry Song Kran and a really painful future of the year.

Edited by Get Real

17 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

What a bizarre comment to make. I do live in Thailand. I have lived in Bangkok for 11 years. Why would I have so much disappointment on my mind? If I didn't want to live here I would go elsewhere. Every country has it's good points and bad points. I have a handful of Thai friends here in BKK and they also thought the condemnation over this was just stupid. I guess I should warn them that like me, they too have "so much disappointment" on their minds and should move elsewhere. The people that condemned this are a minority of idiots with too much free time on their hands. I would say that the majority of Thais are very tolerant and would not get riled up over this particular case. It was a minor error. I doubt she even realized that her skirt had ridden up or that people would be so pathetic as to make it news.

Misstake? Pathetic, yes! She should have know better, as well as her much beloved boyfriend that took the picture.

Edited by Get Real