Less water wars more Thai culture - influence of Thai historical drama should be focus in Pattaya, says authority

webfact

Less water wars more Thai culture - influence of Thai historical drama should be focus in Pattaya, says authority

6pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

"Buppasaniwas" fever is set to be all the rage in Pattaya for the upcoming Songkran celebration, at least according to Pattaya City Hall.

The local authority is jumping on the bandwagon of the most popular drama in years to encourage tourists to dress in historical costumes to help showcase and celebrate Thai culture.

Everyone in Thailand is watching the Channel 3 drama.

The message from spokesman Pinit Maneerat was "let's focus on traditional Thai Songkran rather than water wars".

Sophon Cable TV said in an article on Facebook that visitors were being encouraged to dress in Thai costumes from yesteryear for the "Wan Lai" celebrations in Pattaya on April 18th and 19th.

The 18th will see the celebration kick off at 8.30am. Ninety nine monks will be in attendance as tourists will be encouraged to wet the hands of elders and bathe Buddhist images - traditional niceties at Songkran.

The authority warned of road closures throughout the celebration.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-03-29

Daft farangs pay thousands and fly from the ends of the earth to see Thai girls in wet T-shirts.  Pattaya Traditionally extends its festivities for extra days to accommodate these knibheads (deliberate spelling error.)

• Like 1

My wife is watching this historical drama and loves it. Kept my big yap shut from saying "I doubt if this is the whole story" and then remembered history as it was presented to me (USA) back in the 1950's. Left more out than they put in lots of the time

• Haha 1

My wife wont watch it. Says its propably all made up fairyland garbage. Probably right with a bunch of glorified made up twisted facts if any at all.

Its always amazed me to see the current day ideas of a better time way back when. Im betting many of the people of the era wished for an all-round better way of life so why on earth do people get so fascinated by this garbage. The reality is  completely ignored im guessing. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bsdthai said:

My wife wont watch it. Says its propably all made up fairyland garbage. Probably right with a bunch of glorified made up twisted facts if any at all.

Its always amazed me to see the current day ideas of a better time way back when. Im betting many of the people of the era wished for an all-round better way of life so why on earth do people get so fascinated by this garbage. The reality is  completely ignored im guessing. 

T. I. T. 

32 minutes ago, bsdthai said:

Back in the UK the public are enthralled with dramas about the Victorian era: when children worked in coal mines, TB, diptheria, polio and ricketts were commonplace, working people couldn't vote or organise, etc, etc if you get my drift. 

In the US they love a good Western.

What's the difference?

Edited by champers
  • Like 2

Ahhh well.  Kind of reminds me when my sons were young and playing sports.  Sometimes they got a "participation ribbon". instead of a trophy...gave them a hug, encouragement...told them you're doing amazing, next time we'll do a bit better buddy!!  Kind of the same way I bob and weave about Thai bshit.... :) 555

Edited by CanuckThai
penmanship

22 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Everyone in Thailand is watching the Channel 3 drama.

22 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Well........not everyone!..........or am I the odd one out?

16 hours ago, johng said:

I'm not !

Neither am I so that makes three of everyone who is not watching.

23 hours ago, mikebell said:

Daft farangs pay thousands and fly from the ends of the earth to see Thai girls in wet T-shirts.  Pattaya Traditionally extends its festivities for extra days to accommodate these knibheads (deliberate spelling error.)

Never heard of anyone who pays thousands to fly around the world to see wet t-shirts..

• Haha 1

On 29/03/2018 at 9:52 AM, Emster23 said:

My wife is watching this historical drama and loves it. Kept my big yap shut from saying "I doubt if this is the whole story" and then remembered history as it was presented to me (USA) back in the 1950's. Left more out than they put in lots of the time

So is my girlfriend. For me this historical drama is another proof of the fact that the Thais can not watch TV without having these artificial "poyoyoyoing" and "diloodiloodid" sounds in the background telling them when to laugh.

• Thanks 1

I remember watching "Robocop"
with my wife...there is a scene advertising the 2000 SUX car, a dinosaur turns to see it and his eyes pop...with an accompanying "bowyng" noise
my wife laughed instinctively.

On 29/03/2018 at 11:04 AM, champers said:

Back in the UK the public are enthralled with dramas about the Victorian era: when children worked in coal mines, TB, diptheria, polio and ricketts were commonplace, working people couldn't vote or organise, etc, etc if you get my drift. 

In the US they love a good Western.

What's the difference?

Ever watched the movie A million ways to die in the west?

Best movie for years.

On 30/03/2018 at 8:50 AM, torrzent said:

Never heard of anyone who pays thousands to fly around the world to see wet t-shirts..

How else to explain foreigners coming here during Songran when the knowledgeable are flying out?  It can't just be to knock motorcycle taxi drivers to the floor with high-powered water cannon surely?