A bitter pill to swallow .

On 31/03/2018 at 6:41 PM, Brunolem said:
On 31/03/2018 at 6:21 PM, gamini said:

I dont agree with you at all.  You generalise too much. It depends on what type of "farang". There are plenty of expats I know who have lots of Thai friends, like I have. They are all very well educated. They don't live in "farang" ghettos. They would not be seen dead in Pattaya. We go on trips abroad with our Thai friends. Many of my Thai friends speak better English than  the average Brit with thier regional accents. We all feel very much at home in Thailand and I have never felt disrespect from any Thais.

How many of these Thai friends are, or are not, from Chinese origin?

Did you ask them?

All the Thais I have known, behaving like you describe, were from Chinese origin.

What difference does their ancestry make?   They are now Thai and have been for generations.

On 3/30/2018 at 11:23 AM, sgoodes said:

I'm thinking along the same lines as Farang99. I had planned to move here 6 years ago but for some absolutely stupid reason I let my little head rule my big head and shacked up with another Western leech who just recently had me in the family court. Everything was planned for the move then i made that mistake. I have the best of both worlds right now working offshore and spending my time off in Pattaya. I have rented a nice place in Naklua and just when i'm starting to get a tired of it, it's time to go to work and dry the liver out. After 3 weeks at work I can't wait to get back. I have a great girl in Pattaya who looks after me and never asks for much and my mates that live in Thailand love it just as much as I do. Still have my property in Perth which I will maybe think about selling in 5 years when my work finishes out here. To be honest, I can't see myself ever living back in Oz full time but will go back periodically to see my kids and grandkids.

Wish I had of moved to Thailand years ago. 

Nice story, but you are totally different to most expats residing in Thailand. You have property in Perth, which is hopefully earning income for you as well as being a bolt hole if required.

you have a routine working off shore, therefore every three months you rotate and not really being in either location for periods that can induce boredom life is interesting and good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

What difference does their ancestry make?   They are now Thai and have been for generations.

They are as much Thai as Chinese living in San Francisco or Paris are American or French...meaning they carry the required passport.

Now ask them what they think about, and what they have in common with their Isaan "compadres"...

What difference does it make...you ask...

All the difference in the world!

Edited by Brunolem

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, Brunolem said:

thus pushing both the local currencies and prices higher.

Meanwhile, Western retirees will keep on receiving the same amount of money in their depreciating currency.

Within the next 5 to 10 years, things could become very difficult for those who have just enough now.

I wonder if anyone knows if farang/ Thai marriages are down?

Given that the driver for many was an initial visit to Thailand on holiday during the western/ Thai exchange rate golden days, and the discovery of the night scene, now that western economies are not doing well enough, I'd expect less mansions to be under construction in Issan. I don't have any stats though.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:13 PM, seancbk said:

My condo rent hasn't changed in 6 years, then again I've also not renewed the one year lease and I've not seen or heard from my landlady since the day I signed the lease.  Guess I'm just lucky.

Prices of some things may have risen (food, beer etc) but I don't really notice or care.  

Unless one wants to eat in expensive restaurants or eat imported western food, the price of basic food in LOS has risen little in 30 years. That's pretty good.

I had a meal of fried rice chicken in the early 90s for 20 baht, and I can still get it in a food court for 40 baht. If I get it from a hole in the wall restaurant it would be about 30 baht.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The manic said:

Don't burn your bridgese. Keep your property in the UK and rent it out. Thus you have not just an income but a safety net if things go pear shaped. 

Sensible but the disaadvantage of doing that is that you still have responsibilities at a time of life when you may not want them. Money in the bank even if only gaining 2 to 3 per cent can work well and still provide a safety net for return.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gruff said:

Sensible but the disaadvantage of doing that is that you still have responsibilities at a time of life when you may not want them. Money in the bank even if only gaining 2 to 3 per cent can work well and still provide a safety net for return.

My 2 English friends here tried that, but Agents fees,damage and non re payments caused them to sell at a loss over a straight sale n go..Its a Gamble.

20 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

My 2 English friends here tried that, but Agents fees,damage and non re payments caused them to sell at a loss over a straight sale n go..Its a Gamble.

Yes it has to be done properly.  As well as rent my place has increased in value substantially. 

On 4/2/2018 at 9:22 AM, Brunolem said:

I explained in a subsequent post that there was overbuilding and thus many empty units, the reason for low or stable rents.

Now, if you want to say that prices, save for the rents, have not easily doubled since around 2005, feel free to provide examples...

With regards to France, well, civilized or not (less and less in my opinion), the country is bankrupt like any other Western country, especially when it comes to retirement funds.

So, the powers that be are playing a game of extend and pretend, with the help of central banks buying hands over fists whatever crap comes on the market in order to show that everything is fine...until it won't be...

Well, I don't seem to see much change in staples such as bread, eggs, milk etc. Although it is fairly academic - prices are so low here I probably wouldn't even notice, compared with Australia.

Fruit and vegetables in Chiang Mai ( like anywhere else ) are cheap in season, and dear or unobtainable off-season.

I just eat what's in season.

Sadly, you are right about retirement funds. The Millennials will basically have to provide for their own retirement, because government pensions will shrink to nothing. Except for the politicians, of course.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Well, I don't seem to see much change in staples such as bread, eggs, milk etc. Although it is fairly academic - prices are so low here I probably wouldn't even notice, compared with Australia.

Fruit and vegetables in Chiang Mai ( like anywhere else ) are cheap in season, and dear or unobtainable off-season.

I just eat what's in season.

Sadly, you are right about retirement funds. The Millennials will basically have to provide for their own retirement, because government pensions will shrink to nothing. Except for the politicians, of course.

I don't think anybody would argue that fruit in season can be cheap and that you can also eat very cheaply in a shopping mall or at a road stall. I like to do that from time to time but having been in Hua Hin for the past couple of months the average cost of a simple dish with rice in a plain restaurant will be about 150 baht. Add to that a beer or wine which are double the price as for example the Philippines and a few Eastern European countries. It is primarily due to the strong baht but Thailand really is not so cheap now. Australia is not a good comparison for prices it is the most expensive country i have ever visited by far.

6 hours ago, Gruff said:

I don't think anybody would argue that fruit in season can be cheap and that you can also eat very cheaply in a shopping mall or at a road stall. I like to do that from time to time but having been in Hua Hin for the past couple of months the average cost of a simple dish with rice in a plain restaurant will be about 150 baht. Add to that a beer or wine which are double the price as for example the Philippines and a few Eastern European countries. It is primarily due to the strong baht but Thailand really is not so cheap now. Australia is not a good comparison for prices it is the most expensive country i have ever visited by far.

150 baht for a rice dish? Rimping at Promenada in Chiang Mai runs a three course lunch, e.g. spring rolls, spaghetti meat sauce and ice-cream off a multi choice menu for 120 baht. Or Siripanna has an all you can eat buffet, good food, for 189 baht. My Thai restaurant on Lamphun Road costs 40 baht for a Pad Thai Goong, 60 baht for a spaghetti with crumbed fish. Sounds to me you are in the wrong city.

I've found beer prices vary considerably with the restaurant. No air conditioning, a large bottle of Chang or Leo 60 baht, aircon restaurant such as S&P same bottle is 110 baht.

No argument with the fact Australia is bloody expensive - that's why I live here.

Edited by Lacessit

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

150 baht for a rice dish? Rimping at Promenada in Chiang Mai runs a three course lunch, e.g. spring rolls, spaghetti meat sauce and ice-cream off a multi choice menu for 120 baht. Or Siripanna has an all you can eat buffet, good food, for 189 baht. My Thai restaurant on Lamphun Road costs 40 baht for a Pad Thai Goong, 60 baht for a spaghetti with crumbed fish. Sounds to me you are in the wrong city.

I've found beer prices vary considerably with the restaurant. No air conditioning, a large bottle of Chang or Leo 60 baht, aircon restaurant such as S&P same bottle is 110 baht.

No argument with the fact Australia is bloody expensive - that's why I live here.

Yes i think Hua Hin more expensive for food than CM. I did clarify i was talking about a restaurant and not a street stall or food court. And re beer you won't get a large bottle for 60 baht anywhere else than 7/11! Alcohol is twice as dear in Thailand as in some of  its neigbourng countries and in some places in Europe.

Edited by Gruff

On 3/31/2018 at 6:41 PM, Brunolem said:

How many of these Thai friends are, or are not, from Chinese origin?

Did you ask them?

All the Thais I have known, behaving like you describe, were from Chinese origin.

about half are! I don't have to ask them. I have been here long enough the see the difference.

On 4/2/2018 at 3:09 PM, DipStick said:

Nice story, but you are totally different to most expats residing in Thailand. You have property in Perth, which is hopefully earning income for you as well as being a bolt hole if required.

you have a routine working off shore, therefore every three months you rotate and not really being in either location for periods that can induce boredom life is interesting and good.

In a way you are correct. We dont have property in Perth. Ours is in London, Toronto, Manchester, Chicago, Rome etc etc. Most expats I know live off,partially, their home property rentals.

I moved to Thailand in about 2004, moved to work in Myanmar about 2012.

I'm in Bangkok right now on my twice-yearly shopping trip. Boy has it got more expensive since 2004!

Myanmar is not (yet) an expat retirement destination (lack of decent infrastructure, hospitals and above all - a retirement visa option).

But I made it 'work' for me and I'm very happy with the low cost of living, safe environment, no 'in-your-face' corruption (corruption exists of course), very friendly people, beautiful countryside.

My ex-wife in Thailand (a good friend) still talks about retiring together to live in Nong Khai in the future. Well, I can get Permanent Residence in Myanmar next year with little effort, and my plans are to retire to Inle Lake/Shan Hills :)

• 2 weeks later...