Proper clothing at Chaengwattana Immigration

BobTH

22 hours ago, murraynz said:

its absolute nonsense about having to dress up for immigration--get real guys-this is the 21st century...how ridiculous having to wear long trousers in 30 + degree temperatures...

What seems "nonsense" and "ridiculous" is the mindset that even when required by custom (see the widely displayed dress code notices) you (and other plonkers) get in a tizzy about not wearing your shortie shorts.

23 hours ago, murraynz said:

its absolute nonsense about having to dress up for immigration--get real guys-this is the 21st century...how ridiculous having to wear long trousers in 30 + degree temperatures...

I agree with you, but my goal when I go to immigration is to extend my visa as easily as possible. Sometimes it's better to bend with the wind.

• Like 2

On 31-3-2018 at 10:23 AM, murraynz said:

I agree, it's really nonsense to wear long trousers in these temperatures, it forces us to use cars and pollute the air while causing traffic jam

I also don't understand what that complex at Chaeng wattana doesn't provide any shade from the parkinglot to the building since it's a long walk in full sun...(i haven't been there for some years though, they might have planted tree's now).

I never weared trousers and always got served well but there's a big difference in wearing a crappy old singlet and a nice blouse...same goes for decent shorts or some sportswear-shorts. And there are nice slippers and cheapo plastic flipflops.

Also in the malls i cringe when i see sweaty farang in singlets with loads of monkeyhairs all over,  wearing a pattaya-beach outfit. It's just not done.

Will i wear trousers when going to governmental offices from now on? Nope, i'll find a workaround for it and won't even go there.

• Like 2

Had a drink over lunch with a friend from immigration.  As he says, different offices have different rules.  When I showed him the posters, he pointed out "You notice they are all from Immigration Division 1".  He said that dressing clean and tidy is fine whether in shorts or not. But it can be different at different offices depending who's the boss!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have gone to CW 8 times in the last 24 months. I wore nice shorts with a very nice polo short and clean running shoes. 7 times the service was either friendly or very friendly. The other time it was perfunctory but not rude or authoritative. The first 4 times were for 30 days extensions, then in Oct I went for conversion of visa exempt. Returned 15 days later to pick up the visa stamp. In late Dec went for the annual extension where many IOs looked very cute wearing Santa hats. Went back a few days later to get the multiple entry permit. 

Most times less than 10% there were wearing shorts. The last time it looked like maybe 20% were wearing shorts but they were fairly well dressed. Having a nice or very nice shirt makes a big difference.

The people lined up for 90 reports were dressed more casually than in other sections, with a couple looking scruffy, which surprised me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

Had a drink over lunch with a friend from immigration.  As he says, different offices have different rules.  When I showed him the posters, he pointed out "You notice they are all from Immigration Division 1".  He said that dressing clean and tidy is fine whether in shorts or not. But it can be different at different offices depending who's the boss!

I agree. At Jomtien office there is no such requirement. Even though I dress in polo shirt and shorts I do cringe when people come in in a smelly vest, small shorts like the Russians wear and flip flops.

4 hours ago, maisodni said:

Here is the sign at Changwattana Immigration - no sandals, no shorts, no tight pants, no min-skirts, no "wife beater" singlets, no vests, no see-through tops.   

Immigration Dress Code.jpg

Take a close look at the picture. The shorts have rips in them. That is not allowed.

Similar signs are posted by many temples that attract tourists. I have never been stopped at a temple or CW wearing nice cargo shorts that come almost to my knee.

Because I wear a very nice polo shirt along with my shorts, I'm dressed nicer than many people who go to CW.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Because I wear a very nice polo shirt along with my shorts, I'm dressed nicer than many people who go to CW.

If you wear a nice polo or blouse Thailand is a totally different country, especially if it looks expensive and hi-so.

Compare that to the backpackers with dreadlocks, cut-off tshirts and selfmade shorts full of rips...piercings all over combined with tattoo's.

• Like 2

why do some people consider shorts, nice shirt and jandals disrespectful ?????   i can not understand this at all?? pattaya is a holiday resort- its 30degrees plus, most of the time...

wearing singlet or no footwear --yes that would be disrespectful...

i fail to understand why so many people in this country think that those wearing long trousers are superior ???

i am reasonably well educated, have substantial income and assets--have travelled to many countries, yet i only wear long trousers two or three times per year {even in my home country where winter is colder}..

can somebody explain why those wearing trousers could be superior/more respectful than me in my shorts..???

It also amuses me why the  "suit sellers" in thailand ,hong kong etc, "target"  older "whities"  to buy their suits..im sure they think we are "rich-so must wear a suit"---thats hillarious....

at 66yrs old, i have  NEVER  worn a suit-- dont ever intend to....

to some people--- Image is everything.....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, murraynz said:

why do some people consider shorts, nice shirt and jandals disrespectful ?????   i can not understand this at all?? pattaya is a holiday resort- its 30degrees plus, most of the time...

wearing singlet or no footwear --yes that would be disrespectful...

i fail to understand why so many people in this country think that those wearing long trousers are superior ???

i am reasonably well educated, have substantial income and assets--have travelled to many countries, yet i only wear long trousers two or three times per year {even in my home country where winter is colder}..

can somebody explain why those wearing trousers could be superior/more respectful than me in my shorts..???

It also amuses me why the  "suit sellers" in thailand ,hong kong etc, "target"  older "whities"  to buy their suits..im sure they think we are "rich-so must wear a suit"---thats hillarious....

at 66yrs old, i have  NEVER  worn a suit-- dont ever intend to....

to some people--- Image is everything.....

at 66yrs old, i have  NEVER  worn a suit-- dont ever intend to...........  That statement tells us a lot about you.   Are you married ?   Did you wear a suit ? Been to friends weddings , funerals,, high-end clubs , restaurants ?   I have been denied entrance to some clubs in Bangkok for not wearing trousers and in US because did not have a tie.. It's called dressing apropriately . Even though Thailand may be tropical and say Pattaya a beach area you are not a tourist  and if going to a Government office asking for service should be dressed for the meeting. Do you see Gov workers at offices wearing shorts , wifebeaters? Check out Sky train --do you see many Thai wearing shorts (not talking about somtam sellers or construction workers) But if you ae blue collar don't want to dress then can enjoy life but will never be at high end clubs just beer bars .

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I am not sure people think the general wearing of shorts and sandals is disrespectful. I believe the point is, that you are going to immigration to carry out an official Government requirement. The persons who carry out that function on behalf of Thailand have felt it a requirement to have a dress code which is clearly pointed out on large signs. It is just good manners and common courtesy to abide by their standards.

I agree we have to abide to their standards. Also i agree that if 5* hotels/clubs have those standards we have to abide there as well. That's why i have some suits which i ONLY wear if i go to places like that.

But on the other hand if i have to wear my suit i also expect high standards from the officials around me...i remember when i was signing my marriage certificate in front of that officer she suddenly had to go to a person at the door who handed her a brown envelope...After that she came back to continue with the official procedure to question me all those official questions...my eyes almost fell out.

Also at weddings so many things go wrong, caused by hotelstaff or other guests...but i can forgive all that if the food is good...But i've also been to weddings where only some guests got a chair to sit, others had to stand..

Anyway, if it's the rule to wear trousers/shoes i'll do it. 

Although the OP is about Chaeng Wattana it’s a good idea to wear respectable clothing ( long trousers and button down or polo shirt ) at any government office .

Another poster has started a thread about obtaining driving license and was sent home to change , along with others, for wearing shorts at Chatuchak DLT !

Not an answer to your question but relevant to  the female readers perhaps. 

I have a crisp white cotton,  collared, button down,   no-sleeves shirt,  hemmed to be untucked, and thick enough for no bra,  (try strapping elastic and nylon across your chest in this heat, ) that I use exclusively for these visits.

I pair it with a light cotton,  below the knee length  skirt and get away with no sweat inducing slip by carrying a book bag strategically. And a new pair of sandals, also used exclusively for these visits.

I've have never been turned away for "sleeveless" until a few months back in Phuket when the foreign desk volunteer told me, "you can't go in like that" and insisted I wear a stinking to-high- hell wind-breaker jacket she handed  me.  I sat for 15 minutes stewing in it draped across my shoulders and then at my turn asked the (nicer) officer if my shirt was inappropriate. " No, it's fine.." 

Edited by PhuketSarah