Tourist arrested for stealing Bt1,400 from Chiang Mai temple

Jonathan Fairfield

Tourist arrested for stealing Bt1,400 from Chiang Mai temple

L_jf895c7jadacajih9i6ga.jpg

Image: Komchadluek

An American tourist has been arrested for stealing Bt1,420 from a donation box at a temple in Chiang Mai.

A man named by police as Michael William Dewey, 48, was arrested late on Friday night in front of a guesthouse in Tambon Chang. 

His arrest followed a complaint by the abbot of Wat Nong Mor Khamtuan in Tambon Sriphum that a western man broke a donation box and stole money on Friday morning. 

The abbot, Phra Khru Praphat Sudkij, said the man was seen stealing on footage from a security camera. The abbot alleged that the man rode his bicycle to the temple to steal from it twice.

Police said the tourist initially denied the charge but when he was confronted with the footage, he admitted it.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30342171

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-31
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Don't think that he will get jail for that

even if he doesn't it will be recorded as a crime and he will have to declare it every time he wants to visit Thailand again. What a jerk

12 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

I accept your authority in this area and i know you do good work. But your language "doing something so low"?  He is a petty theft and no need to gloss it up from that.  The fact that it was from a Wat has no bearing.  He showed no violence and may be in a greater need.  The Wat is the  safety net for Thais but where is it for farangs in Thailand.

The fact that it was from a Wat has no bearing"

Each to their own but I feel quite sad for you that you think that way:sad:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, midas said:

even if he doesn't it will be recorded as a crime and he will have to declare it every time he wants to visit Thailand again. What a jerk

If justice prevails, it would be a slap on the wrist and a good douse of community service.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

I have further bad news for you, God does not exist. 

Oh dear whilst I agree with you about that I still believe with your outlook on things wouldn't allow you to enjoy Thailand to the full extent

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tilacme said:

If justice prevails, it would be a slap on the wrist and a good douse of community service.

Come on. You should know better than to expect justice around these parts.

You can go nuts and cause carnage and wander away a Wai and 500 B lighter, when a good jail term would be more appropriate.

Other times totally the opposite and amazing sentences dished out.

Were I a soothsayer, I would suspect this chap will be regretting his actions for about 12 months, regardless of if that is appropriate justice or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Come on. You should know better than to expect justice around these parts.

You can go nuts and cause carnage and wander away a Wai and 500 B lighter, when a good jail term would be more appropriate.

Other times totally the opposite and amazing sentences dished out.

Were I a soothsayer, I would suspect this chap will be regretting his actions for about 12 months, regardless of if that is appropriate justice or not.

That would be a travesty for such a minor misdemeanour imho.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, midas said:

Oh dear whilst I agree with you about that I still believe with your outlook on things wouldn't allow you to enjoy Thailand to the full extent

I seriously hope i never get stuck in a lift with your good self, Mr Midas speaking garbage with no likes.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tilacme said:

That would be a travesty for such a minor misdemeanour imho.

I totally agree with you. A year in jail is utterly ludicrous.

Finding out why he did it and taking that into consideration would be the right and sensible thing to do.

The Thai system does not consider mitigating circumstances though.

They just have a tariff to go by for each crime and dish it out thoughtlessly.

It is why I reiterate that true justice and punishment proportionate to the crime are rarely found around here.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I totally agree with you. A year in jail is utterly ludicrous.

Finding out why he did it and taking that into consideration would be the right and sensible thing to do.

The Thai system does not consider mitigating circumstances though.

They just have a tariff to go by for each crime and dish it out thoughtlessly.

It is why I reiterate that true justice and punishment proportionate to the crime are rarely found around here.

We dont seem to get any follow up news on sentencing, If you have any inside track then please feel free to pm me.  

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Stealing from anywhere is bad, but stealing from a church or temple has always seemed morally deplorable to me,

Abbots have been doing it with impunity since time began. For this guy to do what he did he must have been desperate. I'd have thought the Abbot would have had a little compassion. Hold on, it was something the Abbot had eyes on for himself, so stuff the compassion.

Edited by Rally123
  • Like 1

I'm just wondering how impoverished this guy was to be stealing such a trivial sum from an organisation which is revered by most Thais. Forget about the moral aspect, how did this guy even get into Thailand or maintain his visa?

No no, don't tell me - he's broke because a Thai girl from an Issan village outsmarted him.