Healthy diet - blood work results one year on - Oh!

simon43

I reported in another thread that I would report my blood work results after a full health check-up a few days ago, and compare them to the results that I got 12 months ago. FYI, I'm 59 years old, with no previous illnesses etc.

The difference in my lifestyle between then and now is that 12 months ago I didn't care about my diet, and would eat fatty foods, ice-cream, pizza, as well as salads. I did little exercise and was bordering on the upper end of 'normal' for my BMI levels.

So I changed my diet, cut out all the above and changed to eating fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts, muesli, oily fish, probiotic keffir milk, a little red wine.

I changed my exercise regime, and started to cycle to/from work (15 Km), jog in the gym, do some 'light' weight training etc.

So what happened to my level of fitness and blood work values?

The results were a bit of a surprise.....

Firstly, my BP was relatively unchanged at 120/76 (previous was 105/84, not sure why the Systolic value has gone up)

My heart readings and exercise stress test results were all excellent, especially for the latter test where I felt tired last year. This time, the doctor commended me on my level of physical fitness. All good news.

But then we come to the blood-work results:

Most of the test result values were fine, similar to last year, no problem, but...

My Lymphocyte % had dropped from 46.7% to 27.2%. One suggestion is that this large decrease could be caused by under-nutrition, especially a lack of Vitamin A in my diet. I will eat more carrots and repeat the tests at Christmas.

My Uric acid level had increased from 6.6 to 7.7. The doctor suggested that I could be eating too much oily fish (I eat a tin every evening). Oily fish is good for you, but maybe I'm eating a little too much!

But the big surprise was my Cholesterol levels

Although my triglyceride level has decreased from 86 to 58 (that sounds good news?), my HDL level had decreased from 69 to 59, my total cholesterol level had jumped from 200 to 229 and my LDL-C value had rocketed from 114 to 163!! What is going on here?

So the worsening of some of my cholesterol values has me totally confused. I'm eating what is suggested to be a very healthy diet, yet my 'bad' cholesterol levels have gone up.

I appreciate some comments and suggestions about this. I lead an active, stress-free, smoke-free, low-alcohol lifestyle, with what I thought was a healthy diet for me. Yet it appears that something in that diet (or lack of something) has negatively affected my cholesterol levels.

I'd love to know what is the culprit, so I can improve the values on my next check-up at Christmas.

Oh, my PSA level had increased from 4.57 to 5.45. I have a slightly enlarged prostate and take Saw Palmetto daily. The increase in value is small, but I need to keep a regular eye on this.

• Like 1

Well it has been said that most of the bodie's cholesterol is manufactured by the liver and that diet accounts for very little of it so that could be a pointer Simon?

Also a recent report from Consumer Lab states that; "the evidence of saw palmettos benefit is conflicting and recent studies have failed to show any benefit over a placebo"

And

Most studies of Beta -sitosterol, although not all,  have found significant improvement in perceived symptoms of BPH and urine flow rate, and benefits seem to persist for months after treatment according to a follow-up study.

At a much higher dosage and in combination with other sterols, Beta -sitosterol can also lower cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels when these supplements are consumed with meals.

So how about changing from saw palmetto to large doses of Beta-sitosterol (available at iHerb) to see if it can have a dual benefit of lowering the cholesterol and helping with the BPH?

• Like 1

The culprit is that you are a Westerner living in Myanmar where the food and hygiene is poor.

Rubbish! (To put it bluntly...).

I don't live in crowded Yangon or Mandalay. I live in the modern city of Naypyitaw, where the air and hygiene is probably way higher than somewhere like Bangkok (Naypyitaw is mostly 5-star hotels and a few ultra-clean supermarkets).

I don't eat local street-food. I buy organic fresh vegetables and fruit, fresh nuts, fresh milk etc etc.

No, it's not my location, my high cholesterol level is something to do with my (apparently healthy) diet.....

Triglyceride/HDL is excellent (very important) and other ratios good. You're a bit of an anomaly as the HDL really should have gone up to more than compensate for the usual increase in LDL w/ a low carb diet. Thought you were taking a multi, should have handled the vitamin A, if that's the issue. Not sure what's going on w/ the lymphocytes. How's the drinking? Suggest more veggies & fruit (watch the fruit calories) as Sheryl said. I think the tin of fish a night has done its work now so more variety seems called for. 

Well it has been said that most of the bodie's cholesterol is manufactured by the liver and that diet accounts for very little of it

Xylophone, sorry but I don't understand that statement, what do you mean by 'that diet accounts for very little of it'?

Interesting about Beta sitosterol. iHerb doesn't ship to Myanmar, so I'd have to get this sent to Thailand. What's the typical delivery time to Thailand? I'd probably have to order and then pick up the parcel when I'm next in Bangkok - at Christmas.
Edited by simon43

Thought you were taking a multi, should have handled the vitamin A, if that's the issue. Not sure what's going on w/ the lymphocytes. How's the drinking? Suggest more veggies & fruit

I do take a 'seniors' multi-vit, so not sure what's going on.

I drink one small glass of red wine most evenings. No beer, no spirits.

I eat a salad every day, plus fresh fruit... really can't get my head around the increase in total cholesterol with the diet that I'm following....

NHS guidelines recommend oily fish not more than four times a week:

How much oily fish should I eat?

We should eat at least one portion (around 140g when cooked) of oily fish a week.

Oily fish can contain low levels of pollutants that can build up in the body. For this reason, there are maximum recommendations for the number of portions we should be eating each week. These recommendations are different for different groups of people:

• The general population is advised to have no more than four portions of oily fish a week.

My UK nutritionist advised I eat not more than two portions of oily fish a week for my particular health requirements (male, late 50's, CVD and various other lifestyle ailments).

Regarding HDL/LDL levels, how much Fibre (both soluble and insoluble) do you consume? I got very respectable levels after switching to a high-fibre, low fat diet several years ago (and keeping it that way).

Don't neglect the essential vitamins and minerals that can come with some extreme diets - one's body needs them all in the right proportions.

Simon

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Xylophone, sorry but I don't understand that statement, what do you mean by 'that diet accounts for very little of it'?

Interesting about Beta sitosterol. iHerb doesn't ship to Myanmar, so I'd have to get this sent to Thailand. What's the typical delivery time to Thailand? I'd probably have to order and then pick up the parcel when I'm next in Bangkok - at Christmas.

Well the liver produces around 80% of the cholesterol in your body whereas food accounts for the rest and as your diet seems to be low cholesterol anyway I can't see diet being the key??

If you wish I can order the Beta sitosterol for you and send it on, that's if airmail is ok from Thailand to Myanmar?

37 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I eat a salad every day, plus fresh fruit... really can't get my head around the increase in total cholesterol with the diet that I'm following....

Increase in LDL and so total cholesterol is normal w/ low carb. But HDL should have risen. Exercise a bit more? Read up on increasing HDL. Your total still isn't high.

More fiber may not be a bad idea as mentioned by SimonD. I have some ground flaxseed (grind seeds in blender) daily, good source. 

I don't understand the OP's cholesterol numbers at all, the sum of the parts (280) is greater than the total cholesterol level (229) and that doesn't even account for VLDL - it's a bad reading.

6 hours ago, carlyai said:

With such a healthy diet and lots of exercise, I'd go for a repeat blood test now, just to see if the readings are the same.

And to add,take the test first thing in the morning,water okey..but 6 hours of "fasting"before the bloodwork is done.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, DuiDui48 said:

For my annual medical here in Thailand, they always say not even water after midnight. This seems strange as it is my understanding that in the UK and the US, you can drink water and in fact should drink your normal amount of water before tests. The only no-no being food.

17 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Look up atkins diet. The days of thinking fat is bad are long gone

And the other comment from InMyShadow stated. I would cut out the fruit which is sugar and carbs

I agree, fat is not necessarily bad for you. Be careful how much carbs you may have added from the fruit.

What kind of Muesli are you using? Some have a lot of fruit and very high carb levels. There are some available with lower carbs (less fruit)

If you want to reduce LDL cholesterol try oat based cereal. Plain Cheerios are supposed to be best, bland taste can be improved by mixing with some Muesli.

You have not posted your blood sugar level. From what you have stated, its quite possible that will be higher.

You could add the info.

You could be an anomaly,there are vast  differences in how and how fast individuals respond to drugs/dietary changes /exercise.

Keep experimenting a bit with your diet and exercise regime.

Good cholesterol levels are driven up by intense exercise:Maybe yours isn't strenuous enough.

Also, how you feel subjectively is important too:If you feel more energetic and healthier that ultimately might be more important than blood tests.

Cut out sugar and most fruit. Make fruit a rare treat instead of a regular thing. Easy on the rice/carbs. I just had som-dtum salad +chicken breast for lunch and consumed all the extra freebie greens that usually came with it. More fat eg avocados,  animal fat.  More exercise. Plenty of sleep.  Lose weight if needed.

22 hours ago, simon43 said:

Rubbish! (To put it bluntly...).

I don't live in crowded Yangon or Mandalay. I live in the modern city of Naypyitaw, where the air and hygiene is probably way higher than somewhere like Bangkok (Naypyitaw is mostly 5-star hotels and a few ultra-clean supermarkets).

I don't eat local street-food. I buy organic fresh vegetables and fruit, fresh nuts, fresh milk etc etc.

No, it's not my location, my high cholesterol level is something to do with my (apparently healthy) diet.....

Why are you bothered about your cholesterol levels when your blood pressure is healthy?  Your brain is 60 per cent fat, with over a 25 percent cholesterol content. Start using it!

See a TCM practitioner to get your body balanced. 

If I ate large amounts of  raw fruit and esp. salad I 

would be ill. Some livers don't like raw stuff. May be with cooked greens your liver would feel happier and could deal better with the cholesterol issue. A diet which suits one person may not suit another. 

IMHO the OP is stressing too much about statistically insignificant differences. For example, his BP readings are within the error levels of most instruments - most of the time they are not calibrated for years here. There's also the consideration of white coat syndrome.

As far as the prostate readings go, my first reaction was BULLSHIT. No really professional pathology laboratory would quote a PSA level to three significant figures at those levels - the correct figures are 4.6 and 5.5. Otherwise, the laboratory is implying it can determine PSA to an accuracy of one part in 457 - yeah right. I'd agree it is something to keep an eye on - the time to really get worried is when it is approaching 10. PSA levels do normally increase with age; however, not all men with prostate cancer have high PSA levels.

May I humbly say that all the advise about fasting and how to do different things is probably falling on deaf ears.
I would suggest the OP has done his homework on the basics...that's why they have changed their life style.

Just about the prostrate thinggy...when I used to cycle like mad I had an enlarged prostrate as well. Prostrate trouble may be an occupational hazard for older bike riders. Those thick padded special bike pants help.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

The % lymphocytes is of no importance if the overall WBC count is normal. In the old days when this was done more manually it would not even have been calculated unless WBC count is abnormal. Now that it is all machines, they automatically churn out the differential (% each type of WBC) regardless along with a notation of high, low or normal even when the total WBC count is normal.  Ignore.

Triglycerides are very sensitive to dietary changes and as expected yours has improved greatly.

Most LDL is made in the body rather than derived from diet. In addition, you need to confirm if what you had was a direct or indirect estimate, because indirect estimates of LDL are inaccurate when the triglycerides are low, as yours are.

The total choletserol is of no importance, other than as an indication of the need for a detailed lipid panel to look at the individual components.

There are actually 2 types of LDL only one of which is associated with increased risk of heart disease etc. It is quite possible that, given your low triglycerides, most of your LDL is of the "good" type, especially since all your ratios are favorable:

Cholesterol/HDL ratio:  yours is 3.7,  desirable range is <5, ideal  level (associated with substantial decrease in risk of heart disease) is around 3.5 so you are pretty much there.

LDL/HDL  ratio = yours is 2.76, desirable range is <3.5.

In other words all looks good.

BP naturally flunctuates, in everyone, throughout the day and the differences you mention have no meaning since both readings were well within normal range.

I think you have a healthy diet and healthy lifestyle and if anything should relax a bit and not fixate too much on your health (but continue the healthy diet and exercise of course, and monitor the PSA).

Speaking of the PSA I trust you had a manul exam of the prostate?  This can indicate if the enlargement feels consistent with benign enlargement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am stressed already reading this stuff. Does it ever sit well with people that we may not be able to control our body’s behavior by text book solutions or recommended regimes/diets. We could spend our lives fussing over the what’s and why’s of life and ruin the quality of the life we are living each day at a time. We are all gonna die , but if I had to follow the OP’s diet and exercise regime I would probably die very soon of boredom. But I am only a boy of 71 ! Viva La Dolce Vita ! , said he as he dropped to the floor clutching his Kebab and chips ! 

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

For my annual medical here in Thailand, they always say not even water after midnight. This seems strange as it is my understanding that in the UK and the US, you can drink water and in fact should drink your normal amount of water before tests. The only no-no being food.

I have asked if I can take a sip of water thru the night (as I always do) before a check up or even a small op, and yes has always been the answer, so don't worry about it GarryP.

On 4/1/2018 at 7:12 PM, simon43 said:

Delivery to Thailand from iHerb 3 to 4 weeks maximum.