Tourism and Sports Minister confirms safety of Thailand as tourist destination

webfact

Change1  Have a nice day , it is 10PM and I am off to bed. Your example has nothing to do

with making a decision to rent a powerful motorbike, or lean over  a too low balcony rail

and ruining your day by your bad decision.  Good Night!

Geezer

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, carstenp said:

Thailand, which recorded 25 deaths of Brits under the age of 40 from 411,000

My God! I read that it's a young persons world but  'aged under 40'!

Can't I even die without being counted?

THAILAND IS SAFE???

but what about the soi dogs that wander around trying to munch up us farang?

i was in bangkok last year at a hotel called the convienent resort in ladkrabang

all day and all night soi dogs barked and attacked each other, i counted 22 dogs

attacking each other one tried to attack a businessman in his vendor van but could do no damage to the gentleman

this year i go back to the convienient resort and the soi dogs are still there

i left the hotel on the way back the soi dogs were there 3 of them

one started growling, i was scared but tried to act tough not to show fear

to my utter surprise one of the staff in the hotel started laughing at me and called the dogs over

it was as though the wild dangerous dogs were preffered to the paying customers

well... at least the dogs were born in thailand, unlike myself

the soi dogs are thai and the tourists are just pesky farang

i will never stay at the convienient resort in ladkrabang bangkok ever again!

• Like 1

What safety does he talk about?
I would say in terms of crime and violence Thailand is a safe country for tourists.
While other areas lack substantial safety.
Road safety.... I as a citizen, government or minister I would be so ashamed regularly being on Rank 1 or 2 of the most deadly roads worldwide

58 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Change1  Have a nice day , it is 10PM and I am off to bed. Your example has nothing to do

with making a decision to rent a powerful motorbike, or lean over  a too low balcony rail

and ruining your day by your bad decision.  Good Night!

Geezer

It's 05:30 here but I am jet lagged, goodnight. I will explain why my example shows why Thailand is dangerous. 

"An experienced person operating a stamping press making ashtrays crushes his hand when he presses the foot pedal before getting his hand out in time.

Who's to blame?"

The easy answer is the operator - he has done the same job for several years and knows the dangers of his job. The same as an unlicensed lad knows the dangers when renting a powerful bike. Wrong

Then it gets more complicated.

Smokers? No smokers means no ashtrays. Or the lads mates egging him on to get the big bike. Wrong.

Now we can look at the real problems.

Why was there not an interlock to stop this happening? Or why didn't anyone stop him renting the bike?

Poor maintenance - the interlock was disabled or removed. 

Bad installation - It was never fitted.

Bad design - It was never part of the press.

Operator error - he disabled the interlock.

Then dig deeper why would any of these 4 things happen?

Answer - bad management. 

Who is in charge of management? Ultimately the owner of the company as he/she/they decide whether safety is important or not. Or in Thailand's case the government.

When you start thinking this way you will see how safety can be improved just by changing who you blame and giving them penalties when things go wrong. If you always blame the operator safety will not improve until you start to run out of operators and they become valuable to the company. Or in Thailand's case you run out of tourists due to bad publicity.

Edited by chang1

It's relative to where a tourist goes and what trouble one gets into or not.

Full moon parties in Goa, Bali, Montanita, or Zanzibar are just as likely to end pair shaped, or splattered as any here in Thailand.

Not often a person stays at the Sheraton or equivalent at any of those and reports anything worse than dehydration and a hangover.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, johng said:

Ok I get it   its   assuted and abooted   with a bowler hat   like a proper "Poo Dee Ungritt"

:smile:

02-prince-william-bowler-hat.jpg.ef31a60991d08436532e3739c7cfd6cf.jpg

The Royal version of "The Avengers"?  :smile:

Where is Emma Peel? :sad:

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, JOC said:

Yeah sure......Welcome to the safe roads of Thailand......Clearly no end to the BS here...

If BS was tarseal, this lot could pave a four lane highway to the moon and back! :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

The one thing that really gets me is tourist going out in a boat to do some diving or snorkelling and being hacked up by a boat propeller driven by a stupid negligent moron.

This seems to occur with some regularity. 

There are things I would like to do in this country but will not, as the operators cannot be trusted with your safety.

Just a simple thing to do, fit a propeller safety guard.

image.jpeg.7543270ded71aad3d1f34804a006715f.jpeg image.jpeg.c094f57429316aaee0d53b5504bd423d.jpeg

No "rocket science" or "critical thinking" (both sometimes lacking in the kingdom) involved. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, johng said:

wouldn't they keep getting blocked up with trash in the water....so removed after 5 minutes ?

Hardly likely with the second one but still better than tearing off a human limb!

But then again, you could just be making a joke about the trash? :whistling:

Based on what?

It is a3rd world country, with a corrupt police force, almost no rule of law, putting any tourist behind any Thai-citizen in any kind of dispute, it has a military junta leading and no freedom of speech (making it dangerous for anyone who is not sensible enough to shut his/her mouth, when talking about certain people), there are little to no safety standards on any boats or other vehicles....the list of potential dangers is endless!

How can anyone with 2 working braincells come up with such a blanket statement?

...oh...yeah...I see...I said 2 braincells....my bad!

Edited by DM07
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Andyfez said:

The original figures are based on statistics, and to get any sense you need to look further. The newspaper didn't because all they want is a good headline.

Many of these deaths are self-inflicted.

Caused by young naive travellers. Many on their first long trip. Influenced by alcohol, motorbikes without any experience (and no licence), and playing silly buggers on balconies.

It's blame the victim time again, folks!

"Self inflicted" sounds more dramatic than "accident", and let's not forget that these "self inflicted deaths/accidents" wouldn't have happened if the young naive travellers had not been here in the first place! :cheesy:

The minister doesn't look like the type who gets out among the average citizens very much, no less where tourists actually venture.  My guess is that he's out of touch with reality.

• Like 1

From my experience, Thailand is a dangerous place.

Thai teachers can threaten to kill foreign teachers and get sway with it!

Tourists attacked, as I was, and the culprits get away with it!

There are many videos on the net clearly demonstrating the dislike toward foreigners.

Law and order is not adhered to by Thais, so what are the chances   foreigners have with regard to their safety in a very lawless society.

• Like 1